• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I already have dust under my screen!

Could it be that the dust has been there since manufactured and it has moved and is now visible? It just seems to soon to get from being pocket.

That is what I was thinking yesterday... This spec of dust is like off to the center-left. Doesn't look like it came in from anywhere specific. Since then though I have not had any new specs and i've carried it in pocket just like I did the first day.

Upvote 0
Okay just finished talking with HTC. For anyone who is interested they will send you a new phone if you have dust under the glass. The number I called was 1-888-216-4736 which connects you too tech support. They do take your CC# just in case you don't send your current device back. They also said they will inspect your phone for any other damages and if they see anything they will charge you a repairing fee. I hope this helps our anyone who might want to return and keep their Nexus One.

Upvote 0
Okay just finished talking with HTC. For anyone who is interested they will send you a new phone if you have dust under the glass. The number I called was 1-888-216-4736 which connects you too tech support. They do take your CC# just in case you don't send your current device back. They also said they will inspect your phone for any other damages and if they see anything they will charge you a repairing fee. I hope this helps our anyone who might want to return and keep their Nexus One.

i'm currently on hold with htc, finalizing my swap for a new handset. i called 888-617-1113. the first option i was given was to send in my device for a repair. (f-that, the turnaround time is up to 2 weeks). they let me swap the phone. the terms and conditions that were read to me said basically that the cc would be charged $530 if i didn't send the phone back within 10 days, or if the phone was found to have damage not covered under warranty. it was also read to me that i should keep my battery and battery cover before sending back the device. this is great, because that means i get to keep extra accessories while (probably) receiving a full kit. i guess the default is to receive a refurbished product for warranty swaps.

hopefully my next phone won't have any issues. is there a phone switching app that will automatically update my new device with the data and configurations on my old phone?

Upvote 0
When I got my iPhone about a year ago, I was so paranoid about dust that I always pulled my pocket clean from lint every morning. I also tried to put it in my pocket upside down such that the adapter connector on the bottom was not on the bottom of the pocket were most lint/dust might collect. When I was feeling SUPER compulsive, I would put it in a small zip lock bag which fit it perfect. The touch screen still worked!

All this talk about dust in the N1 has me thinking maybe I should just buy a cheap Eris and not worry about it!

Upvote 0
When I got my iPhone about a year ago, I was so paranoid about dust that I always pulled my pocket clean from lint every morning. I also tried to put it in my pocket upside down such that the adapter connector on the bottom was not on the bottom of the pocket were most lint/dust might collect. When I was feeling SUPER compulsive, I would put it in a small zip lock bag which fit it perfect. The touch screen still worked!

All this talk about dust in the N1 has me thinking maybe I should just buy a cheap Eris and not worry about it!

lol @ zip lock bag

Upvote 0
Seriously? Freaking out over a little dust under the screen, putting the phone in a ziplock bag? Pulling lint out of your pockets? WTF, is this thing a prized collector car, or is it a phone you use to get work/life done? My phone is my tool, and I am guessing like most people, the technology will be far outdated, well before it is no longer functioning because of something like dust under the screen. Original ipod, ipod touch, iphone, G1, none of them have ever had a case or a screen protector when I have had them, and they all still work just fine.

Upvote 0

Ziploc bag??? Cleaning out pocket lint to put your phone in? I'm speechless.. It's just a phone man :thinking: What are you going to do when you buy a nice house or an expensive car?

This reminds of the time I read a thread in my car manufacturer's forums where people were desperately angry that there wasn't a great selection of keyfob covers available or something because their precious keyfobs might get scratched.. No offense intended whatsoever, but do we all really live on the same planet? :eek:

Upvote 0
This is what happens when you decide to share your pocket with cookies, snacks and bits of yesterdays lunch.

345891138_2b7b406583.jpg

Upvote 0
it was also read to me that i should keep my battery and battery cover before sending back the device. this is great, because that means i get to keep extra accessories while (probably) receiving a full kit. i guess the default is to receive a refurbished product for warranty swaps.

My take on this is different- I think you're just getting a phone in a basic box, minus the battery and cover.

Upvote 0
My take on this is different- I think you're just getting a phone in a basic box, minus the battery and cover.

no, i've called four more times and four more supervisors confirmed-- i will be getting a full kit. a brand new box. but they said there's a fking problem with fedex receiving the shipping info so fedex hasn't shipped my product out yet. really just sounds like they're pushing the blame onto fedex and that's supposed to make me feel better.

i have no idea when i will receive a replacement phone. i won't even be present at their shipping address since i'm moving. i really thought i would be able to get this done before i moved, since shipping time was supposed to be two day air.

EDIT: i didn't get a full kit. i was lied to 4 times.

Upvote 0
For those of you who are worried about dust (like me)... Do this little test before your 14 day exchange period...

The back button and the search button towards the bottom corners of your screen... Press on them by putting a good amount of pressure on them. If you hear a clicking noise that means that the adhesive holding the screen down isn't working properly... That could be an entry point for dust particles.

I wondered how dust could be coming in the bottom left of my phone... and it's because the back button makes a clicking sound when i press hard.

Upvote 0
The back button and the search button towards the bottom corners of your screen... Press on them by putting a good amount of pressure on them. If you hear a clicking noise that means that the adhesive holding the screen down isn't working properly... That could be an entry point for dust particles.

I wondered how dust could be coming in the bottom left of my phone... and it's because the back button makes a clicking sound when i press hard.

If I look really close I can see two tiny specks of dust near the bottom of the screen (within 1 cm) when looking at it with a bright led flashlight. As long as it doesnt get worse and it is impossible to see with a regular desk lamp or when actually using the phone this is not a showstopper for me.

I also had the bottom corner click too. After reading a post about warming up the phone on the xda dev forums I tried heated up my screen as well (using a hair dryer) while pressing the corners down, and now the clicking is gone and it feels more solid at the bottom too!
I dont know if it is permanent yet, but it appears to have solved the clicking issue and hopefully it will prevent dust getting inside.
My guess is that they didnt use enough time, pressure or heat at the production line to make the screen stick properly.

Upvote 0
Going back to 2000 - 2003 (ish) when mobile phone service was good, they operator would tell you to remove the back cover, the battery and the sim. The courier would then come along with your new handset (minus those parts) and you would give the courier your old one and swap at the door.

Maybe in the UK, but here in the USA I have been treated like dirt by carriers since 1998. :)

Upvote 0
Oh nooooes. After sitting here smugly for a week and a few days thinking "Well, I'm not having any problems with my phone", today I spotted it, the dreaded microscopic bit of dust towards the bottom right of my screen. In fact, you can't see it whilst inside, but once out in natural light the little... blighter... is there quite plainly to see, if you know where to look. Which I now do.

This phone has not been into any bags, pockets, or anywhere at all aside from either in my hand or in the supplied case (which has not been in my bag or pocket either - the only time this beauty leaves my hand is when I'm sleeping). I can't comprehend how this happened, it's such a let down, especially after having a phone for 4 years which was mightily abused and has no signs of damage at all despite getting cosy with concrete floors multiple times. And taking a swim in a malibu and coke.

I think if I haven't managed to train myself to ignore it within a couple of weeks I will be sending it to HTC UK for them to repair. I thought at first I'd get them to swap it, but then that'd mean just getting another phone that might suffer from the same problem. I figure if they actually fix my phone in won't happen again. Hopefully. Plus they'll give it some special treatment whilst its there, I'm hoping. A little cuddle maybe. You know, just so it knows its loved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones