I am going to Roo,t BUT

1. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

I will be getting my Phone this week. I have been reading a lot on rooting. The problem i have is this.. I am overwhelmed! I start reading and links lead to more links and before i know it i am lost.

I see one link that says to do this, Then four more that say to do this because what i just read is old or not a good idea.

Can anyone help me in a few simple steps or at least the most important steps i should take and the best downloads i should use?

This way i can concentrate on the things i really need to know and not get confused. I thought i was smart. Boy, was i wrong!

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

-first and foremost before any modding...make sure to have odin and odin restore files Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

-install the proper samsung drivers as well for your computer (theyre in the odin thread or linked there)

-root with this method How to Root - Android Forums

-install clockwork mod following these instructions Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

-once you have cwr installed...make a nandroid backup in cwr...then once your squared away...feel free to ask about roms/kernels/themes/mods/dj05 ;)
    DaYooper and djb28 like this.
  3. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. I am familiar with what you posted in links. I will stick to this structure for now.
  4. nitsuj17

best of luck..keep us posted on your progress :)
  5. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I thought about posting some help but i knew nitsuj17 would be posting in a few and he knows more about it than me and its good to listen to him...:D...Good luck rooting!
  6. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

Do you think when the update comes this is unnecessary or is it still a good option to have along with the update? Does it totally bypass the update and make it useless or will rooting work with it making it better?
  7. nitsuj17

you can always restore your phone to stock and unroot....however any updates that come out are at worst available to the root community a few hours later in update.zip form...or best a long time before everyone else (dj05) ;)
  8. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

I have completed the steps to root. All seems to go well. I restart and it looks the same as it did out of the box and i do not see where or how to delete the bloatware. Right now i am installing DJ05. Sorry if i sound like i dont know what i am doing. I DONT! Learning as i go. I havent bricked it yet! Thats nice.

Ok. Update. I have three launchers on the system. I would like to delete the ones i am not using. The TW especially. but it will not go away. I also have ADW and Launcher pro. Havent decided which i like best. But will i not be able to delete those too? Im getting this the more i mess with it, But i do not know how to uninstall these launchers.

Thanks to all the help so far in other posts, And the detailed existing posts.
  9. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

You need Root Explorer to delete system apps. Don't delete Touchwiz without putting another launcher in the system/app folder first. Make a nandroid backup before messing with anything.
  10. nitsuj17

Congrats....but now caution is the word.of the.day......im assuming you.have clockwork recovery installed......so if you.haven't already boot into it and make a nandroid backup

Then when deleting bloatware you need a program like root explorer or titanium backup (well worth the$ 5 each)....or you can do it with a terminal but its a tad more.complicated

Its best to not keep more than 2 launchers (1 is ideal) so decide.which you prefer...,remember to never delete any google.apps.or you will.screw up market downloads
    djb28 likes this.
  11. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

I have clockwork. I have backed up. I downloaded mybackup root. everything seems to be great. I had an SD card read problem. Was helped with that. The only thing that is going on now. ( for now) is that there is no sound on start up. But i do have sound on everything i have checked on the phone so far. Is this a problem, or just let it go?
  12. nitsuj17

have you flashed any kernels yet?
  13. Tooch01

Tooch01 Well-Known Member

I am running geeknik's 1.54 kernel and lost the sound on startup as well but never questioned it as I considered it a bonus..the startup sound IMO was loud and annoying, not to mention rarely heard as the only time I reboot these days is when I am loading something new via CWR.
  14. nitsuj17

not having used geekniks kernels really...but i do recall that early dj05 stupidfast didnt have boot animations enabled...maybe some one else recalls if 1.54 did or not...if it didnt...then that would be the issue :)
  15. sreymj

sreymj Well-Known Member

1.54 does not have boot animation support. The subsequent versions do however.
    nitsuj17 likes this.
  16. nklenchik

nklenchik Well-Known Member

That's weird...when I flashed 1.54 it had the original boot animation but no sound lol
  17. sreymj

sreymj Well-Known Member

Sorry. I needed to clarify. It doesn't support custom boot animations. I don't have sound with 1.54 on boot either. Not a big deal I guess. The sound annoyed me any way. :)