I am over 9 GB data usage without tethering!!!

Last Updated:

1. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so as the title says I am at 9.3 gb at this moment and I still have 5 days left in the month. I have not done ANY tethering!!!!! Firstly am I going to be flagged for such excessive usage?? Secondly can anyone explain what could cause this. At the end of the months I never go past 3-4 gb at the max. Now, well I blew that away. :eek::eek: I have no idea what is going on. I do not tether, do not use Google earth or maps, rarely use youtube well not more than usual. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? Do you run streaming radio? Podcasts? How much Youtube? That is a helluva lot of data if you're not tethering.

3. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

if it's not from tethering then what are you worried about, your plan is UNLIMITED!! there is nothing they can do

4. potatolover1102

I am not rooted, Maybe 15 you-tube videos this month, I use Pandora but I always have, The only thing that changed was adding the weather and news widget from 2.1. I do not see how a simple feed update can do so much though? I am not worried they will do anything necessarily I just think they might be like hey you only pay 29.99 and are doubling the usage that people pay 60 for lol. I just do not want to be under scrutiny.

5. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

It is unlimited. However if a lot of people began using the amount of data that you have this past month Verizon is bound to raise the cost of the data plans, or cap them.

6. bbrosen

bbrosen Well-Known Member

Virus? Spyware malware? better sleep with one eye open, your carrier will send ninjas in the middle of the night and.....

7. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Who cares if you're flagged? They'll just check your usage and see you weren't using it for anything not covered by the contract and you'll be fine. If you were lying to us, they'll find out and you'll get what's coming; all is well.

8. potatolover1102

So I just checked my Verizon online to get a detailed look and almost all of it happens at like 3 am. I have stayed up late and I guess this is pandora's doing but I have a lot of huge chunks that could seem like tethering,which I swear I am not doing, most are 100-300mb at ONE time!!!

9. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got an app(s) that is caching. That are some apps like News, Slacker, Listen, etc (don't know if Pandora caches) that can cache data (preload data). One or more of your apps might be doing that.

10. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

honestly if you streamed pandora and some youtube every day like a lot do 5 gigs goes by like nothing so 9 isn't unreasonable
    and keep in mind thats send and recieved together.

11. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Try taskkiller or something before bed to kill everything. That might help. Kill everything so nothing is running, then you won't be bringing in data. Think that'll work right?

12. potatolover1102

I will make sure to close everything out. Thank you guys for such a quick and helpful response! I knew I could count on the forum!!! :D:D

13. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

You know that Pandora will keep running unless you hit "Quit" - right?

14. joshi3joshi

joshi3joshi Active Member

maybe you have the 2.1 ota update issue where it keeps downloading the 15 mb update over and over (if youre rooted and running a custom rom). if not, i dont know haha

15. potatolover1102

I always quit it lol. Also I am not rooted. Well I think I have found what helped out on using data and that is having the news and weather widget at update every 15 min and e-mail at every 15 min. Also I listen to Pandora probably 10+ hours a day rofl!!! I payed for the year subscription because the free version cut me off like a week into the month and I dove in. The no ads and more skipping is a huge bonus!!

16. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Uh, there's your 9GB right there.

Just guesstimate that Pandora takes about 1MB per minute of streaming. So 10 hours is 600 minutes a day. That's .6GB right there.

Anyways, that's all covered under your unlimited data plan, so I wouldn't worry about it.

17. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is some kind of prize for that . . . :D

18. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Wow that's awesome! :eek: I'm gonna try to beat that next month.

19. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Let's all start downloading large files, deleting them, and redownloading them 24/7 to see if we can get 30GB of usage in a month!

But yeah, unlimited really is unlimited. Even if they check to see what you're up to, what will they say? "We're charging you extra for an app that stock users can install even though your data plan is unlimited"?

20. potatolover1102

There really should rofl. Also I am now at 10 gb!!! Almost a gig a day now WTF!!!! I really need to find the culprit!:D

21. shadowdude777

Do you have a cat? They are evil creatures, and it might be using your phone to download stuff!

22. potatolover1102

No but I used to have one and I could totally see him streaming HQ youtube animal planet videos rofl!! He really thought he owned the place and all that was in it including the people!!

23. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Cats aren't evil dude. It's those nargles!

24. potatolover1102

Nargles!!! You are my new favorite person lol. I just booked my trip to the harry potter theme park in July rofl!!

25. shadowdude777

Damn cats. Sleeping 18 hours a day and then using up your bandwidth at 3AM. :p