• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I am rooted..how do I install a ROM?

tfleming23

Nov 8, 2009
Ok, I followed the sticky to the letter and rooted. I downloaded/paid for Setpcu and Temp Monitor.

I want to install one of the custom ROM's, but need help with two things. First, which one is best/most stable? Secondly, I need a ROM installation for Dummies, sort of like the sticky above.

Can someone please help?

Sure, I just wanted to make sure you had it flashed first.

Download the ROM you want. There are lots of good ones. I would probably pick just based off of the appearance since there's not a huge difference between them. Check the ROMs from Droidmod, Pete, Blackdroid, AdamZ and Chevy. They're all good.

Once you've downloaded, depending on which format you chose, do the following:

-If you chose an update.zip formatted ROM, make sure it is named exactly update.zip and in the main sdcard folder, not in any subfolders.

-If you chose a nandroid backup formatted ROM, make sure you create a Nandroid folder on your SD card. Unzip the nandroid file on your computer. Take the files and place them in a subfolder with whatever name you want. Make sure not to use spaces in the name. You should be putting the unzipped files into /sdcard/nandroid/xxxx where xxxx is the name of the folder you created.

-Reboot into recovery (hold 'x' on the physical keyboard and the power button)

-If you chose a Nandroid backup format ROM, select Backup/Restore from the menu

-First, I recommend selecting Advanced Nandroid Backup. This will backup your current setup in case of any problems. Just leave the default three items (boot/data/system) selected for now, and hit perform backup. Be sure to choose a name that is not too long and without any spaces or you may encounter errors. Do this even if you choose to use the update.zip method.

-Once that's done, on the same menu, select Advanced Nandroid Restore. If you put the files in the correct folder, you should see it as an option. You should also see the backup point you just created. Select the folder with the ROM files in it and perform backup with the defaults selected (data/system/boot). Let it go, and you're all done. Reboot into your custom ROM.

-If you chose an update.zip file, it's easier. Just choose the install update.zip option from the main menu in SPRecovery. I would recommend that, after doing your backup, you first do Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache before applying the update.zip. Note that you will lose your current data and will basically have a clean phone with just your SD card files remaining.

-In the update.zip menu, make sure you first select and click on "Allow update.zip install (deprecated)" or whatever it says there. If you don't, it usually won't work. It won't really acknowledge that you clicked it, it'll just flash for a second. That's fine. Now select install update.zip, let it go, and reboot.

Upvote 0
Followed the instructions on Pete's page and went into a boot loop. Going between the Droid screen and the eye. Won't go beyond that!

HELP

I didn't look at the instructions on Pete's page, but sometimes this can be caused by the data partition not being wiped. I would recommend wiping everything from recovery and reinstalling the ROM.

Upvote 0
Ok, that worked.

More questions:

1) what temp F should it be running at?
2) I've seen people saying they are over-clocked to 1200...SetCPU won't let me go above 600?
3) How do I activate/use things like Live wallpapers and the other new toys?
4) Any suggestions for other things I should be doing?

Upvote 0
1) Not sure of the fahrenheit temp, but the battery should be staying below like 45-50C. If it gets up there it might be too hot. As for the processor, mine usually stays around 90F, though under load it can get a little warmer. It can handle some heat.

2) First, does the ROM you installed come with an overclock kernel? If not, you will have to flash one. If it does, make sure that when you run SetCPU, you press the menu button, choose the one option (Device Selection) and choose the first option on the next list, which should be AutoDetect Speeds. If you have an overclock kernel installed, it will detect the speeds that it allows and you will be able to go above 600.

3) Live Wallpapers are in most of the new ROMs. See if they're in yours by hitting (on the home screen) Menu > Wallpaper. If you have Live Wallpapers, it will be an option there.

4) Careful how high you overclock at first. I would try it in steps and don't check the "set on boot" option until you are sure the speed runs stable, otherwise you might get stuck in another boot loop. Some phones run stable at 1200-1300, others have trouble at lower speeds. You have to find the sweet spot for your phone/ROM/kernel combination.

Upvote 0
ROM installation is very straightforward. You can get most ROMs in either a nandroid backup format, or update.zip format. Once you're booted into recovery you can install either way. Have you flashed SPRecovery to the phone? You'll need that in order to install most ROMs.

I though that you couldn't use the update.zip method if you where coming from the 2.01 ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones