I am soooo lost... Overclock Questions

Last Updated:

1. Initial GT3

Initial GT3 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I downloaded Droid X Overclock, and I'm not sure what all of the setting mean... If someone would take the time to answer these questions in re-re terminology I would REALLY appreciate it. I've read the thread about Overclocking but I got lost in all the terminology. I'm a first time Android user so this is all kinda new to me.

1) CPU Frequence Scaling. What does the Max do and what does the Min do?
    2) What is a Mhz?
    3) Why are there 3 different settings for Mhz?
    4) How exactly do the Mhz settings affect the phone performance/battery life?
    5) I understand that overclocking takes a little more battery to perform better but how do the Mhz's apply to this?
    6) How can you check tell how many Ghz your phone is operating at?
    7) What is a kernel and how does it apply to all of this!?
    Thanx..

Advertisement
  2. Roll-Tide

Roll-Tide Well-Known Member

no offense, but if you do not understand ANY of this why on earth would you even root and try to overclock?

that said, I will do my best....

1) max is what the speed will ramp up to when doing something that will need more speed, like graphics or opening apps etc...min is the speed that the phone will idle at when not in use to save battery.
    2) mhz is a measurement of the speed of the processor, like in a computer...1ghz is basically 1,000 mhz...1.25ghz is 1,250mhz....like inches is to feet
    3) the 3 settings are called "slots" i believe...when the processor jumps from one speed to another, it will go in those increments and not in between...like from 400mhz up to 850mhz to 1000mhz, etc.
    4) faster speed (more mhz/ghz) means more responsive when opening apps, playing games, stuff like that...battery life may drop slightly, but by using a lower voltage kernel that will help (uses less energy but still has the speed)
    5) see answer 4
    6) i use the widget supplied with the app, tells me what my settings are currently and the temp of the cpu
    7) gonna do my best on this one, hard to explain....the kernel is what actually allows the apps to process the data they use...the app needs to do something, the kernel is what gets it done.....so to speak, sort of like a fuel pump in the car....you mash the gas pedal, the fuel pump gets the fuel to the engine. (not the best but I tried)

3. Xeneize480

Xeneize480 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the questions.... most of us did not know all at once...

so just keep asking questions...that's the point of this forum.. :D

but if you like to read trust me there is a lot of info from different sites too

4. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

1. sets how high and low the cpu clock speed can go
    2. Mega Hertz
    3. i think you are looking at the speed slots.
    4. Depends on how you use the phone. generally higher clockspeeds increase performance and may drain the battery faster. this is normally compensated by using a lower voltage.
    5. Mega Hertz is the speed that the processor is running or is set to run.
    6. use an app called setcpu or jrummy16's overclock app and use the widgets
    7. kernels are less important with the DX since you cannot change them with the locked bootloader. The overclock apps tweak some files to allow for OC. With the D! you could flash different kernels to achieve different overclocking and other goodies as well.

5. bladebarrier

bladebarrier Well-Known Member

The others posted good info, but I'll say one bit....

1. Just like computers, there is generally no need to overclock a device until it falls behind the status quo enough to require it. Everything else is bragging rights. If you need weatherbug to load up .2 seconds faster than the guy with the Droid X next to you, it's only because you really want to show off. When the phone gets older, it may be an important issue, but right now, this is a very fast smartphone.

2. You're potentially taxing the wear and tear on the battery, and important parts of the electronics by doing so. Heat = damage. If you keep it in limits, that's fine, but you can really reduce the longevity of any electronics by running it hotter than intended.

3. Overclocking is ok, if done properly, and within the limits of the device, but it can require lots of testing to sort out what those limits are.

4. See #1.

5. Underlocking can potentially be a good thing, but the Droid X does this, to some extent, on its own. Just like most modern CPUs, it will downgrade its speed as needed. You can go a step further, and limit the maximum, particularly if you want to stretch battery life to the longest it can be. Luckily, the Droid X is actually very good on battery life, left on its own. The apps you have loaded will be more of an issue, in general, but of course keeping the screen on will be very taxing, as will large downloads, graphic intensive games, and anything else that requires it to run at heavy loads.

/If you really want to overclock, by all means research it, carefully. Less is better than more. Don't try to go for the highest clock setting. Phones aren't watercooled gaming rigs, and you can't just replace the cpu on a whim, or the gpu, or the memory.

//And the mother of all suggestions, from me, is don't force it to happen after a re-boot. If you really need the speed, you can take the quick moment to set it to overclock after each re-boot. You'll get more performance by making sure apps aren't using up lots of resources behind the scenes, anyways. If there's some reason that it isn't cutting it for you, post here, and maybe someone can get an idea of what's causing the slowdown.

6. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

the processors Motorola uses are rated not to exceed 70 degrees Celsius or 158 degrees Fahrenheit. You should be fine. i Have an old D1 that i OC and that thing would get to 120F in no time and that thing still runs like a champ.

7. bladebarrier

bladebarrier Well-Known Member

It would seem they really built the D1 like a champion. The DX isn't stable at even close to the same % of increase. There are D1's hitting stable speeds close to OC'd DX's (ok, not exactly as fast, but not that far behind). It kind of makes you wonder what they put in that beast.

I might even buy one used, as a backup phone, because they don't seem to die.

Did the battery run as hot? I know that just running my DX at normal speeds, I can make it just about fry an egg, if I run it hard for a while.

As far as overclocking, I've brought it up to the 1.35 level, and I've had FC issues. It's plenty stable at 1.1, or just above, but that's not nearly the increase, percentage wise, that the D1's can do (which is outstanding).

Remember, that the phone isn't really any thicker, so it might not displace heat much better. It could be near the top end, at release. I haven't disected mine, and won't unless it breaks, so I'm afraid I'm merely pulling the idea out of my butt.

I personally would prefer they yank the crummy cameras out of these smartphones, and replace them with bigger batteries, and good heat sinks. Then again, I'd rather carry a camera, than use a phone to take pictures, and I'd certainly rather have a thicker phone, than carry an extra battery.

/I may stand alone in the last paragraph. I'm not sure.

8. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

the only thing bad about the D1 was when it got hot you could really feel it. i never saw the battery over 45c