I am the reason the network is slow. Mega data usage!

Last Updated:

1. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This cracked me up. I switched from an iPhone to the Captivate on July 27. AT&T will rue the day!

Has anyone else seen a sharp increase in your data usage?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Dlux

Dlux Member

Actually, I've seen the opposite since I went from my old iPhone. Of course, I think it's due more to that I changed positions at my job and can't play on my phone all day like I used to.

3. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

yup. but i moved from a Blackberry where everything is compress through blackberry internet service. i strongly think that at&t change in rate plans was because they knew usage would go up with Android phone and Iphones so they actually will be making alot of money off people who blow their 2gb limit

4. PGP_Protector

PGP_Protector Well-Known Member

Nope, but then again I've got my WiFi to not turn off, and am almost always near a WiFi spot.

Right now for the month I'm at about .5 Meg data usage.

5. lanceeee

lanceeee Member

Mine has gone up too, but that is 90% due to my use of Pandora.

6. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Same here...

When I had my Blackberry and first heard of the data plan change, I briefly considered stepping down from unlimited data to capped usage. That thought quickly vacated...and since I've had the Captivate my data usage has gone way up, and I don't run Pandora either

7. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Yikes, what are you doing to use that much data? Tethering?

8. AriCaptivate

AriCaptivate Member

How on earth do you manage 6.5gb!?!? I've been working at it for almost a week and have yet to scratch 200mb, even if I had my wifi off lol. You're crazy, I'm going to hope you got the contract when it was still unlimited data lol, or that would be a very scary bill.

9. Ruben Cisneros

Ruben Cisneros Member

Did you switch on June 27 or July 27? The Captivate was not available until mid-July. I belive the date was July 19th.

Loremonger likes this.
  10. wdsport

wdsport Active Member

Something's definitely suddenly eating up data on mine... I'm 4 days into my current billing cycle and it says I've used 670mb already. Previous billing cycles, my record high for the whole month was 600mb.

11. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Audio Books. Wonderful and enormous audio books. Honestly, I wanted to test AT&T's supposed "soft cap" of 5GB. They haven't said anything at all.

I did tether last night. An hour of Youtube and Vimeo got me up to around 700MB down.

12. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

I've not had an issue, got my phone on July 18th and my first billing cycle was about 247 megs. So far this billing cycle I'm up to 370 and about 70 megs of that was thanks to Fruit Ninja and MiniSquadron downloads, of the remaining, blame some other application updates as well.

My phone runs on WiFi at night and overnight. You might have an application that stays running in the background eating up that much data. Not rooted by the way.

13. Galroc

Galroc Active Member

My Captivate is a data hog and I have no idea why. I am talking hundreds of MBs in a few hours, without me using the phone. It then can go weeks with moderate use (<200MB/month). The network activity can get so high that my home DSL network gets bogged down. Turning on the phone's airplane mode helps the situation.

I am trying to figure out which application/service is causing the problem. The phone is receiving the data, so it could be a background synchronization issue. I wish there was an application that could get me application specific network metrics.

Right now, I have 3G data turned off.

Oh, I have WiFi at work and at home, but I am amazed at what the phone uses in my drive between the two places.

14. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

Mine isnt as crazy as 6GB but I use facebook and the internet just as much. I used to even stream music on my blackberry. I went from 74mb to 1GB a month.

15. Doug5

Doug5 New Member

I guess there is always one black sheep and that is me in this case. I went from an uncapped old blackberry plan where my usage never topped 150 megabytes to the $15 200 megabyte tier and turned off the mobile network and only use wifi on my captivate. I just checked my data usage and I am at 20 megs for about 1.5 weeks.

16. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

my data usage has skyrocketed over the past month since I bought my captivate...[​IMG]

the vast majority of this is downloading podcasts

17. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Same here. Haven't pinned it down yet. But normally I don't go over a few hundred MB in the whole month, and now 10 days in I'm already at almost 1GB.