I bricked my phone when updating my Rom...

Last Updated:

1. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I did post in the forums here for help but over 20 people looked but didn't respond (thanks) and since nothing I found on the forums told me how to install a new rom, I figured it out for myself. I wiped, installed Fresh 2.0c and was on my way. 2.1 is great i might add, even though his rom doesn't have landscape working properly. I decided to get rid of the expresso theme that is always on using the files he provided us for fresh 1.1. The stock.zip so I can get my HTC sense UI theme back. Updated the phone through recovery, turned it on and black screen. Restarted. Wiped, Reflashed the 2.0c, Superroot, and the Radio drive then reboot the phone. It gave me a weird symbol showing a phone out of the box. And it froze for more than 5 minutes... So i took the battery out, and put it back in hoping to fix this and get back in recovery to nandroid back. Turned it on and the same symbol so i thought i wasnt pressing the buttons clearly because Hero has that smooth surface for buttons. I did it again and it wouldn't turn back on...

No LED, no lit up black screen, nothing. It won't even turn on.

Guess now I have to send it back to sprint and hope to god they can repair it without knowing I bricked it by rooting it... Or else imma be pissed off. $479 outta my pocket would then be basically given to sprint for nothing at all.

Now I would not ever suggest rooting a phone...

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you may have bricked your phone. Didn't see your self replied post until this morning.

As for not finding anything on how to upgrade ROM's, usually each ROM is different, and I know it has been mentioned many times that if you are coming from a 1.5 ROM and going to a 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1 ROM or back down you have to wipe. Plus, usually (and I say usually as it depends on the ROM Dev) there are instructions in each ROM that tell you what to do. And if there are not, I'm willing to be it is discussed in the thread about the ROM. While it may not always be right out front, I guarantee you the information was there.

As for never rooting your phone, that is of course your choice and opinion. The #1 rule, if you root, make sure you read and try and understand everything. If you aren't sure of something, then hold off doing it until you are able to get an answer. Otherwise, you and you alone are responsible for what you do with your phone.

G'luck with everything.

3. neversatisfied

I read it all which was how I was successful the first time in installing the rom. The only problem I have with most of the roms today is the expresso theme. I'm not too fond of it so I thought the stock.zip would remove the theme. Never thought it was ONLY for 1.1. I thought it just removed the files and restored the theme which shouldn't of had anything to do with critical files i dont think.

But I figured out it was the radio update that did it. Because after the stock.zip was installed, I could still get into the recovery image. I didn't bother doing a backup because it would have been easier to just wipe and reinstall. The first time was successful, second time it wasn't.

I just wish he would of edited his post's and said gsensor wasn't working so I couldn't landscape. If it was updated, I would of totally not bothered until the next fix lol. But he was probably sleeping as it is night time and it was posted last night lol.

Nevertheless. I will still probably end up rooting again. I just wont use his new one until its fixed. But I will use another 2.1. The market on that is amazing.

4. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Yup. Each ROM is different. Almost every ROM has a different file structure. Things that can be flashed to 1.5 can not always be flashed to 2.1. Especially if it is theme related.

As for Radio updates, those are always risky. I personally have not ever flashed a radio update and as of right now, don't plan to. There is always a risk involved with anything, but one wrong radio flash and you have yourself a nice big paperweight.

I will be updating the tutorial/FAQ soon (not sure when as I have limited time right now) with information on wiping, upgrading/changing ROM's, radio flash, etc. Hopefully this will help yourself and others find the information more easily and prevent more problems.

Again, sorry to hear about the brick and g'luck with everything.

neversatisfied likes this.
  5. radxcoresteven

radxcoresteven Active Member

Quote removed by Moderator

Grammar Nazi?

To the OP, I did the same thing..I flashed a GSM Radio..It was an idiotic move, but I got it back. I'm sorry for the loss, and good luck talking to sprint.

6. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

have you tried the RUU?

7. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

Sorry but YOU bricking your phone is not Sprints fault. The money you gave them was for a Hero, which you got. Thats the risk you take when hacking your phone. Good luck.

Kelmar and awrnsmn like this.
  8. awrnsmn

awrnsmn Well-Known Member

Agreed, and you want them to replace your phone for YOUR mistake. This is why our insurance is so high, people like you taking advantage of the system. YOU broke it....you deal with it and fix it.

9. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Patience is a virtue for a reason... what was the rush? Just curious?

100% sure this is where you went wrong. Why did you mess with the radio? Only bricking I have read about is with people flashing the Radio update. The "WRONG" radio update file (GSM).

You don't have insurance? Hmmm...

Thousands have done it, some have failed. It all depends on need. But ultimately, once you decide to ROOT your phone, you do so knowing fully that you are voiding the warranty, there is none expressed or implied and actually it is stressed that you may damage your phone. There is absolutely no need to lay blame on anyone for it (not answering you) and or crying that you might have to shell out some bucks to replace it. If you have insurance, geee, I would think a lost phone is better route to take then trying to fix it? No?

Anyway... Sorry to hear you're having trouble, I hope it all works out for you.

Happy Trails! ;)
    :cool:

10. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

at least people are replying to this thread! LOL

11. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

this is the same troll from the xda forums....haha

12. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

no hard feelings toward the brickers but u must understand that there is soooo much information and different types of files/software floating around this site and many others all for wat says "HTC Hero" Please research to find out if the information u r looking at is indeed for the "Sprint HTC Hero" or "CDMA version" nd not the "GSM version." And then within that make sure the software/files u r attempting to flash r for the right software build. I fully believe that 98% of bricking cases could've been avoided if a bit more research had been done. If u brick it fess up to ur mistake and when u get the next one whether cheating sprint out of one or buying out right don't tinker with the phone unless u r willing to accept the possible consequences.

13. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

To be fair, Flipz didn't know about the accelerometer issue until someone reported the problem farther down the page in the comments, and he posted a patch for it almost immediately. He also states early in the page that he will most likely not be releasing an update for this ROM, intending to wait for Sprint's version and blend the correct components in.

It's generally a bad idea to try to add 1.5 components to anything other than a 1.5 ROM, and even then, some of the Fresh tweaks are unique to those ROMs only; the frameworks are completely different.

As for the radio, Flipz' update linked on the same page as 2.0c works fine for me with a 2.1 ROM, I don't know what night have gone wrong there.

There are stock and modified Rosie tweaks adapted for some of the 2.1 ROMs at XDA, but you have to research them. I do not dispute that you did your reading, but these issues are addressed there, maybe you just missed them.

In any case, I'm very sorry to hear of your experience, as I'm one of those who have encouraged you to climb on board and try out a 2.1 ROM. I hope it goes better for you next time around. Be patient, read, read, read, go to XDA and read through those threads, use the search feature and read some more. Sorry Bro.

14. ferfy67

ferfy67 New Member

The picture that you saw after flashing the radio update, if it was an open box, that is what I saw when I did the radio, you just have to wait awhile for it to finish, it could have been the pulling of the battery during the flash of it.
    I might have missed it, but I don't see where everyone is thinking it was a GSM radio... that you put on.

just my 1 1/2 cents...
    Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
    :)

15. neversatisfied

And thank you very much :D

16. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

^ or we could just stay nice and ignore the thread/post...

17. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Very good advice, Kelmar.

@all: please keep your posts civil and your language respectful.

jb4kats, neversatisfied and JacobTX like this.
  18. Arty

Arty Active Member

an RUU flash usually helps with these kinds of things.

If not, use your social engineering skills at Sprint. Give them a quick but believable story about trying to update something, blah blah blah, can you just nuke it for me?

I had to do that once... my phone is rooted, but I had some issues. I was lucky enough to be able to use the RUU, but things still weren't right, so I just asked Sprint if they could nuke everything for me. They did it without hesitation. Try going in when they're busier, they will be more likely to just do it and get it out of the way than investigate like they would (and they will) if they're slow.

19. debrrose

debrrose Member

Here's a thought: keep your paws off the phone you need/use. Wait until you upgrade, then get another line for the old phone (you may have to hunt but you can get second line for free eventually... even if you have to resort to asking lots of questions about when is Sprint getting iPhone, I want iPhone, I'm thinking of dropping Sprint, etc. They'll want to keep you as customer ; } ) Anyway, put the old phone on second line then play with it. You will get familiar with the concepts and it won't kill you if you break it. Best way to learn about computery type stuff is to break it and fix it anyway.