I called HTC about the battery charging issueGeneral

Last Updated:

1. VigilanteNation

VigilanteNation Member This Topic's Starter

I called HTC and told them my battery will not fully charge unless I plug & unplug my phone several times. They said there wasn't a hot ticket about this issue and offered me a replacement battery. I suggest everyone call them and let them know this is problem. 8664498358

Edit: I refused the battery as I do not believe it is the issue. I told the rep that I just wanted to make the issue known. I suggested everyone call to let them know there are several people with this problem, not so you can try to get a free battery. I also called Verizon to order a spare battery, then I ordered a separate battery charger from fommy.com to deal with this issue until it is fixed. Shame on you to those who thought they could "steal" a battery from HTC.

Advertisement
    RoboCuz likes this.
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Do you have to send it back? If not then I'll do it just to get a free battery :)

3. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Do you by chance have the ticket number for the issue? It will be a lot easier when we call to refer to a ticket that has been opened so they can bump up the severity.

secretLOVER and RoboCuz like this.
  4. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's not the battery - this same thing happens on the stock and Seidio battery. Also I'm pretty sure this used to happen on my Sprint HTC Hero too! I think it's just an HTC thing.

Keep in mind these phones don't ship with a way to see % of battery so they probably don't know the difference between 99% and 92% since it looks the same on the phone stock.

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

So are they asking you to send your battery back to them?

6. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

you don't need a % widget or program to see this battery issue as described.

Phone charges for many hours. eventually green light shows up showing fully charged (can do this on PC or wall outlet) unplug, power off phone. Plug back in. Orange light. Charge for 30 minutes or more before finally getting green light again indicating Full charge.

7. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

And this does NOT prove anything except for the fact the LED cycles.

8. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

I agree that this "test" does not actually prove anything, but there is still something wrong with the charging circuitry/hardware somewhere. Even if you are a nay-sayer, try this workaround and you will become a believer.

9. sunthas

If you don't power off the phone it doesn't cycle. If you power it off, and power it back on and plug it in, it also doesn't cycle right?

10. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. Simply put, it works. However, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the circuitry per se. I feel they did this to prevent overheating and overcharging that resulted in the iPhones exploding. Throttle it down while on to prevent this and subsequent lawsuits.

11. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

You do not need to unplug the phone to duplicate this by the way. Leave it plugged in, and just turn it off. The light will go orange and remain that for some time between 15 and 30 minutes, at which point it will turn green again.

Correct.

12. nightfishing

Faith based science! Gotta love it.

I think I am going to believe that my DVR can make cookies!

mmmm cookies.

Seriously, though, at this point there has been no evidence provided that this is any more than placebo. The hardware would seem to be behaving correctly in both powered-on and powered-off conditions. Cycling the charger over and over may have an impact, but there is no reason to think that that impact would be noticeable during normal phone use.

As for the OP: your battery may be good or it may be bad, but either way "this" discussion" has nothing to do with that discussion. The phone behaves the same on all batteries.

13. sunthas

Yup. Just verified. I don't know why we are calling this an LED cycling thing.

Plug in phone. Charge til Green light comes on. Power down phone. Orange light will come on... Leave powered down long enough and Green light will come back on (assuming still plugged in). Or what I did was power the phone back up. Part way through the bootup sequence when the VerizonWireless logo is on the screen the LED popped back on as Green.

So not sure why this alone doesn't prove battery issues. Or at least cause customers to be significantly confused.

14. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

I agree with that.
    But I, for one, could care less about proving it. Having it fixed would be nice for Android in general though. :D

15. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

if you take the phone of the charger as the light turns green, as opposed to letting it charge all night long then you won't have to do this charge, charge, and charge again trick.

if you take it off of the charger right when it turns green, or just a few minutes after your battery will no longer drop to 92% within 10 minutes. if seems as if once the phone reaches a full charge it trickle charges the battery to keep it at 100%, but it doesn't actually stay at 100%. instead it will show 100% and then very quickly level off at about 92% or so.

16. nightfishing

Why do you "believe" this green light more than the first green light?

The phone goes into a charging cycle when you plug it in and the power is off, which is exactly the behavoir one would expect.

When the phone is powered on, the phone reads that it is fully charged and does not go into the cycle.

17. nightfishing

exactly!

18. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I almsot never charge my batteries with my phone I alwas use the extra battery charger and swap batteries out, well when I do charge my battery while in the phone , I never get as good of battery life. Something that took me awhile to notice but everytime I charge my phone it barely makes it through the day when I cahrge the battery it makes it 1.5 days

19. Haelous

QFT. Regardless of any faith, logic, or random statements that attempt to explain why it does this or what it's doing, it does confuse people.

I tested this, and did not get the result you're indicating. I let the phone charge until it was green, and immediately turned it off. It still turned orange. I unplugged the phone and used it for a few minutes, and it still dropped to 92%.

Is my battery fubared? Possibly, but there are others seeing the same behavior.

Also, I don't understand why it's called the 'charge, charge, and charge again' trick. The trick is nothing more than turning the phone off once the light turns green if you've been charging it while it's on. It does not occur if you charge the battery in an external charger or while the phone is turned off.

20. jasonb1985

why did you turn it off when the light turned green? why not just unplug the charger with the phone on? i have had my battery show 100% for just over an hour and a half multiple times when i take it off immediately.

21. Haelous

because I wanted to see if it would still turn orange.

Why would turning it off or not ruin the example?

22. jasonb1985

i don't know. it probably won't change anything. it just seems odd.

23. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

It's a DESIGN CHOICE.

The last 5-10% of a Lithium battery takes significantly longer to charge, especially LiPoly. They don't want reviewers/people to think their phones take significantly longer to charge than the competition so they give you the green light to go when most of it is full since it will take much longer to finish off the last 5% than say the first 5%.

24. Haelous

I figured; just making sure I wasn't missing something.

I was just curious - no other explanation. :)

25. sunthas

If that is the case. Then lets say I leave it turned on and plugged in for oh, 8 hours. Then I power it off. The light will still turn orange.

How fricken long does it take to get that last 5%?