• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I came from the dark side

bword

Android Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2010
CT
Hi everybody :). My names Ian and I finally had enough of my Iphone 3g and ended up getting a early upgrade to a Galaxy S. I honestly wanted a 4g Iphone but I was told I can get anything except a new Iphone so I picked what I thought was the best Android phone. So far im very happy with it. I cant believe how much faster it is opening and closing apps. Granted my Iphone was only a 3g and it was jailbroke on 3.1.3. Im still getting used to how things work with a Android os but I am amazed at the amount of apps and the freedom you have with it. I only JBed my iphone for something simple like multitasking. Anyways im gonna go lurk the forums to learn as much as possible about this thing.

I do have one question..is there a way to skip songs using the headphone button all it does is pause the song? Thats the one thing I miss about my iphone so far.

Welcome bword. I came from a jailbroken 3GS on running 4.0
The "multitasking" on iPhone is not NEARLY as advanced as on Android. Apps really do run in the background, not just hang out in a sustaining memory state. I used to love Apple and still use my Macbook but am really getting sick of their attitude. Google has TOO much power and information but they make a good phone OS so I went this route.

Upvote 0
Welcome bword. I came from a jailbroken 3GS on running 4.0
The "multitasking" on iPhone is not NEARLY as advanced as on Android. Apps really do run in the background, not just hang out in a sustaining memory state. I used to love Apple and still use my Macbook but am really getting sick of their attitude. Google has TOO much power and information but they make a good phone OS so I went this route.
I hear you on that, I went from having something that felt so restricted to something that seems limitless. The speed it transfers between opening and closing things is mindblowingly fast compared to my 3g. I myself have a older imac on 10.6 which is a beast and runs like a champ, I also have a acer laptop with win7 on it. But I'm happy with my switch over :D

Upvote 0
Funny how we have to mod and jailbreak our iphones to get half the stuff these guys get stock. But im curious about modding these thing I mean judging from what Ive seen so far what cant you do without hacking ?

One of the other guys/girls in the "Everything Root" section of the phone forum could answer better but for starters, there's wi-fi tethering (unlimited with no $20 monthly pmt to verizon) and things like custom roms and kernels, overclocking/underclocking, certain app backups, things like that.

Upvote 0
One of the other guys/girls in the "Everything Root" section of the phone forum could answer better but for starters, there's wi-fi tethering (unlimited with no $20 monthly pmt to verizon) and things like custom roms and kernels, overclocking/underclocking, certain app backups, things like that.
I would like to look into that tethering if its not to complicated. The one thing I'm wondering is what do we have instead of iTunes and recovery mode if something goes bad?

Upvote 0
I would like to look into that tethering if its not to complicated. The one thing I'm wondering is what do we have instead of iTunes and recovery mode if something goes bad?

Well for iTunes there's Doubletwist Sync Android, Motorola, Samsung, HTC: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3

I think for unrooted phones you can just do a restore to factory settings but if you're rooted you can do a nandroid backup (like a computer ghost image) and store it on the sd in case you need it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones