• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I can turn cell radio off without root, but ....

noname4

Jul 20, 2014
I have Kit kat but no root and therefore cannot turn airplane mode on. However, "phone action radio" does appear to at least turn off the cellular radio as when i do the "bar icon" which shows signas strength goes to zero bars and shows an "x" next to it. In this mode, I cannot make or recieve phone calls or get text messages.

So I thought I had found a way to effectivley get into airplane mode without root.

However, I notice that when I am in real airplane mode, I drain the battery very minimaly (last night, my phone stayed at 86% overnight, so the battery drop wasnt even measurable).

When I use tasker to shut off the cellular radio, blue tooth, wireless, and then disable GPS manually, my battery drain drops considerably compared to "normal", yet the battery drain isnt nearly as low as when I am in "real airplane" mode.

Anyone have any ideas ? I am a little concerned about rooting my phone and had hoped that since i had found a way to disable the cellular radio, I wouldnt need to root to get "airplane" mode like power savings.

Hello and welcome to the forums. You Dont need to root to put device into airplane mode . this can be done from a app or manual from using your hands and fingers . now putting in airplane mode will save battery cause nothing is running . if your on KitKat you can put on the 2g also saves battery. Also what device do you have

Try this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schreinerDev.airplanemodetoggle

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones