• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I can't figure out how to update serendipity

Step 1: Download the update file to your phone. Make sure you have gone in order and have the most up to date one.
Step 2: Boot into Recovery (hold down power button and choose Recovery)
Step 3: Choose install zip from sdcard (use volume key to move down to that option, hit power button to select it)
Step 4: Choose "choose zip from sdcard" again (same way you did before)
Step 5: Navigate to where you downloaded the zip to. I download on my phone, so mine is in download.
Step 6: Select the zip you want to update to. So, 5.8_to_5.9.zip
Step 7: Scroll down to Yes - Install....(whatever zip you're updating)
Step 8: After it is done updating, choose +++++Go Back+++++
Step 9: Reboot system now

Done. You can do that for any of the updates. Including the ones in the add on section on Serendipity's site. Make sure you always do reboot after doing an update. Then repeat the process for each one. I fell behind on updating and had to do that for each one of the update zips to get current and for the battery add on.

Reactions: redvettez06
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok one more question. Apparently the speedmod kernal doesn't update with Serendipty automatically. When I go to the site [KERNEL] SpeedMod Captivate [K13B HPCall VoodooSnd4 SharpnessFix STABLE] - xda-developers it gives me one update using Odin and 3 updates with clockwork. He recommends that Odin is used and I'm willing to try it but am wondering if anyone else has updated the kernal with clockwork and if so, which did you use?

I use the SGS Kernel Flasher, free from the Market:

SGS kernel flasher - Android app on AppBrain

Try it. You'll like it!

I download the Odin flavor of the kernel for use with the flasher.

Upvote 0
Cool. Should I leave the .tar file as is and the select it in SGS or should I extract it?
EDIT: also....remove lagfix first?

Leave the tar file as is.

Regarding any lagfix, I typically leave it alone if it exists in the current kernel. If it screws up your flash, forget that I wrote this message. :)

BTW, the flasher includes an option to back up your existing kernel. Do it.

EDIT: from the SpeedMod FAQ...

Q: Can I install this over a Voodoo kernel?

A: Yes, the Voodoo lagfix (as of version 5) is compatible with SpeedMod. You do not need to disable the Voodoo lagfix before flashing SpeedMod.

Upvote 0
I use the SGS Kernel Flasher, free from the Market:

SGS kernel flasher - Android app on AppBrain

I don't know about the older versions of Serendipity, but when I flashed 5.8 this was included in my apps drawer.

I updated to 5.9 yesterday and tried to go into CWM recovery first -- don't do that, I got error messages and had to pull the battery to reboot. Then I rebooted from the Serendipity Recovery screen and it was cake from there.

Upvote 0
i have a ? how do i know what kernal i got

i just flashed 5.8 to my phone the other night now i see 5.9 is out and i am going to update but i am a lil confused on this kernal flashing!! how do i know if i need to be updated?

i see that i am running
hardcore@speedmod -i897-k13a-500hz#34
Mike only puts the current kernel in the .0 rendition of the ROM, in other words, whatever was out when 5.0 came out is what you're running right now. Go to the kernel thread on XDA, there you'll find the newest version, which you can download and install easily via the SGS Kernel flasher.

Upvote 0
Is there a NEED to update the kernel? I started with Serendipity 5.5 and have moved all the way up to 5.10 with all the updates...BUT....the updates is the only thing I have done. I don't see any bugs or issues, and only learned of updating the kernel by reading this thread.

I'm currently running hardcore@speedmod-i897-k12t-500hz#102

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Is there a NEED to update the kernel? I started with Serendipity 5.5 and have moved all the way up to 5.10 with all the updates...BUT....the updates is the only thing I have done. I don't see any bugs or issues, and only learned of updating the kernel by reading this thread.

I'm currently running hardcore@speedmod-i897-k12t-500hz#102

Thoughts?
No, you don't need to upgrade the kernel, T was current when Mike built the 5.0 version. You are three versions behind, however, and my philosophy is to keep up to date on things, so I check the thread and keep updating. YMMV.

Upvote 0
how did you enable all tweaks? The boot menu?

Boot into recovery.

Scroll down to advanced SpeedMod ULK features (and select)

Scroll down to TWEAK options (and select)

Select tweaks with the (R) after them. R=recommended
Choose them one at at time

Scroll down to go back (and select)

Select reboot system now

Upvote 0
Boot into recovery.

Scroll down to advanced SpeedMod ULK features (and select)

Scroll down to TWEAK options (and select)

Select tweaks with the (R) after them. R=recommended
Choose them one at at time

Select reboot system now

Thanks. Do you have to enable tweaks every time you update the ROM and/or the kernel?

Upvote 0
Thanks. Do you have to enable tweaks every time you update the ROM and/or the kernel?

I think so, but somebody may correct me on that. I enabled tweaks yesterday, then upgraded to 5.11 from 5.10 on Serendipity and noticed that I had to re-enable the tweaks. No biggie, and the only way I knew that was I was in there messing around and noticed that they were off again after the update....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones