• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I can't get past BootLoader/CWM Recovery after ZV6 Update normally!

Who else has this problem?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TooDefined

Lurker
May 21, 2015
My device recently went ahead and automatically push the ZV6 Update on my device under Virgin Mobile service. My device downloaded the ZV6 update normally like a regular device update.

During the actual installation, somehow the update cancelled/restarted and I'm unable to get past the BootLoader which automatically sends me to recovery/factory reset mode whenever I start my device. Since I have CWM recovery v6.0.3.7, I've tried clearing the cache partition, data/factory reset, system, and dalvik-cache and restore from backup. I've also tried doing a clean install for ZV5 and then an install by update.zip for ZV6 and one just straight to ZV6. I've also tried installing CM12, but I still haven't found anything to fix this problem.

I'm at least 90% sure that the problem resides within the BootLoader command line list at startup where it tells the device to go straight into recovery/factory reset mode and install the ZV6 update. If anyone can help me on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it as I have found at least 2 people trying to solve this issue as well.

Note: Currently my device is rooted with CWM recovery v6.0.3.7 and the device attempted normal update to ZV6.

EDIT: For those unable to get out of the CWM bootloop you need to revert back to ZV3.
http://androidforums.com/threads/teach-me-revert-to-v3-and-root-then-flash-rooted-v4-rom.878283/
Follow this guide to help you revert back to ZV3.
Here's all I did to revert back to V3, the rest to get the modified V4 is very easy now since we have an official recovery:

1. Download the LG Drivers (Download the latest version of LG G3 USB drivers for all variants | AndroMods)

2. Download the .tot (https://mega.co.nz/#!lAImESRI!fzpKjwS5n0cV73BMkUQNLAUk73xE6lmcc4UmeaDdorE)

3. Download LG Flash Tool/DLL (https://mega.co.nz/#!QdJA2RxK!iLmXWf0LXqbxsUtD6vNmnhhR4pTfJTW2Np3HWE2_hQo)

4. Download the megalock.dll (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HGbpXvpDInLWFNd0tBX2hqN0U&authuser=0) put it where you installed Lg Flash Tool (ex. [C:\LG\LGFlashTool])

5. Launch LG Flash Tool, select option 3 if it asks. Select "Manually select DLL". Find "LGLS740_20140414_LGFLASHv160.dll" that should have been in the LG Flash Tool zip. Then click Add and find "LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure.tot" which should be in the huge 1gb zip you downloaded. Then be sure to select Board_DL and press OK.

6. Turn off phone, plug one end into the phone and the other end into your USB. Press and hold Vol. Up until the DL screen appears.

7. Go to Control Panel on your PC, go to Device Manager, find Ports, find the one that has LG in it or anything identical. Double click and go to the Ports tab, click Advanced and change Port to COM41, if in use just hit Ok anyway.

8. Go back to LG Flash Tool, click the big "Play" like arrow button. It will say READY above COM41. Hold power until you see nothing but a black screen, immediately press and hold Vol. Up, keep holding until it starts flashing the file.

9. When it boots into Mini OS, touch Ok and hold Power and touch Normal boot.

10. Now you're back into V3, you're welcome. Now Update you PRL and you're good to re-root and flash the recovery and the modded V4! This is the beginning to something big.

Last edited:
It's a CWM issue. You'll have to flash back to ZV3 and then let phone update on thru ZV6. At that point you can reroot and flash TWRP recovery. I'd stay away from CWM.

Also my problem here is that even fresh installing a ROM and rebooting right after, the device goes ahead and loads into CWM recovery. It should be loading the ROM but it never does even for ZV5 and CM12. Without a ROM installed, the device should be stuck in it's BootLoader screen (LG Logo) with the LED at the bottom cycling through the colors, but it goes straight into recovery mode. Also after plugging in the device to charge, I noticed it tries to load the screen showing battery % but it also loads straight into recovery mode as well (which it shouldn't). That's why I'm assuming it has to do with the BootLoader command line list.

Upvote 0
@TooDefined
Run this command in terminal in recovery to make sure the partitions that are listed in the commands below exist.

ls /dev/block/platform/*/by-name/*

Scroll through listing and look for /fota & /misc

Take a look at my fix
http://androidforums.com/threads/twrp-bootloop-fix-after-update-ota.922585/

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

It doesn't erase any data. It just zeros out the partitions used for update. Allowing phone to bootup normally.
If you do you use, please provide as much feedback as possible. Id like to get as many devices to benefit from this as possible. Also if possible provide me with ro.product.device and I will make up a zip to flash in recovery (for the future :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a side note, NEVER take a stock system update on a rooted or custom recovery phone. It does more harm than good.

Anybody want to make an explanation thread and sticky it? That seems like it would solve a lot of problems if people read it before choosing to take an ota update.
You can use the bootloop fix commands in post 5 (bootloop fix zip in link needs to be edited to flash) if flashing stock update using TWRP/CWM. The /fota and /misc partitions are present. So its a simple fix.
BUT, I agree, NEVER USE STOCK UPDATE ON CUSTOM ROM. It causes too many headaches/problems/issues/incompatibilities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones