I can't root please help

Last Updated:

1. my menace

my menace Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've got a hero with the 1.5 firmware version, I followed the guide that is stickied to a T, the only thing I did different was I downloaded PDANet cause fro whatever reason my computer would not download HTCSync, pdanet said it installed all the drivers except the modem one, I got some error message when it was doing that.

Anyways, I followed the guide exactly and everything was fine until I gave the reboot recovery command, the phone rebooted but got stuck at the HTC screen and wouldn't do anything so I pulled the battery, put the battery back in and it booted up just fine, turned it back off and tried to boot into recovery by holding the home key while turning it on and it got stuck at the HTC screen again so I pulled the battery again, put it back in and it booted up just fine.

I'm kind of scared to go any further, anybody have any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to start the process from the beginning again. Follow it step by step again and watch for any error messages along the way. Also, try installing HTC Sync from your phone instead of downloading it.

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Link to which method you tried?

4. my menace

I tried this method http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

the one stickied on the front page, I tried the whole thing from the beginning a second time and got absolutely no error messages but the same thing happened again, the very last reboot comand forces the phone to reboot but it hangs at the HTC screen and does nothing, holding home while powering on causes it to hang at the htc screen

pdanet works fine the only thing I haven't tried is downloading htcsync on my phone, if I were to do that would I just download then mount the phone on the computer and run it off of the SD card?

Any other suggestions?

5. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

what version of software do you have on your p[hone? if it's 1.5 then that guide will work. if you have 2.1 then it won't work.. and if you have the .6 update then you'll have to RUU back to the .5 version of 2.1 before upgrading

6. my menace

ok so I got rooted using the newest version of pre-kitchen, all I really want to do is remove some of the bloatware but I, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, can't get that to work.

When using pre-kitchen I get an error message everytime, and I can't figure out why, anybody have any insight into this problem?

7. mysticmead

what error?

8. my menace

it says "error found during process. Please check the diagnostics tab to make sure you are passing all tests,"

thing is, it says I've passed all the tests on the diagnostics tab and I've tried doing with all different settings, USB debugging on/off, sd card mounted/unmounted and I can't get around this error

anybody?

9. mysticmead

what version of software is currently on your phone?

10. my menace

stock 1.5, just rooted

I've tried to understand how to do it through the cmd.exe prompt but I'm not a code person and can't find a guide that I understand

11. mysticmead

you said that you're running 1.5 just rooted... as in you already have root... if so, why would you try to root again with Fresh Kitchen?

12. mysticmead

oh yeah.. the guide at the top of this forum has step by step instructions for rooting.. its as simple as copy/paste commands

13. my menace

what I'm saying is I tried to manually root using the guide at the top of the forum and for whatever reason couldn't, I always got to the reboot recovery command and the phone would hang at the HTC screen until I pulled the battery, for whatever reason I couldn't get the manual method to work, it never would boot into recovery.

I downloaded, installed and ran the auto rooter in the kitchen and that rooted fine, so now I'm rooted and I want to get rid of the stock sprint bloatware, but I keep getting an error message using the kitchen, and I don't understand how to delete them using the cmd prompt

does that make sense, or am I still being unclear?

14. mysticmead

ok... use Fresh Kitchen.. create a custom 1.5 ROM and have it cooked and flashed for you.. OR.. get one of the MANY 2.1 ROM's and flash that.. most have the Sprint bloat removed (The Fresh ROM's have it removed) and are tweaked to run better than stock

15. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Or use Root Explorer from the market and delete the apk files from the phone, that's what I do when flashing a ROM that has stuff I don't want or use. :)