I can't turn off 3G???Support

1. xperiarookie

xperiarookie New Member

First off am I at the right forum? I have a Sony Experia R800x and I cannot turn off the 3G. I check off "data enabled" from Settings>Wireless Settings>Mobile networks but it always comes back on.

I don't have a data plan so the only way I avoid incurring charges from home is by turning on the Wi-Fi.

Some background - I have Reachout Wireless which is a govt assisted prepaid phone. When I first signed up they sent me a free Refurbished LG Chocolate which broke in 2 months. My cousin who had the Xperia on Verizon cracked the screen so he gave it to me for free. I didn't do a factory reset because I thought I'd lose some of the apps that he had on it.

So in my notifications I always get "Sign-In error" for his gmail address even though I don't initiate any request for his email. So I've tried removing his gmail from the gmail app but it says "this account is required by some apps...the only way to remove is resetting to factory defaults..."

What can I do to keep 3G from coming back on. I went through 4 hours of talk time that I had accumulated while looking for another phone because of the 3g.

Advertisement
    :
  2. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

Yes, you are.

Before you turn off 3g, try turning off background data (menu -> settings -> accounts and sync)

Ignore any errors it gives you, because, unless you sign into a new gmail account, it's kinda pointless to have it...
  3. xperiarookie

xperiarookie New Member

Background data is off and it still comes back after I "Wake it up" and unlock it. Like now 2:45 I just turned off "Mobile Networks" I wake it at 2:46 and its on again. Until I turn on Wi-Fi.
  4. xperiarookie

xperiarookie New Member

Is there a way to uninstall Gmail and the Email app on the Xperia. I've even tried force stopping them both and Clearing Data. Is there a way to backup all the apps so i can do the factory reset?
  5. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

Yes, there is. Welcome to the wonderful world of rooting :p

To root your phone means to give yourself administrator privileges over it.

Here is a link with info to root: http://androidforums.com/3376537-post7.html
    Here is a link with safe apps to remove: http://androidforums.com/play-all-things-root/482573-verizon-apps-safe-freeze-delete.html

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    xperiarookie likes this.