I did it - switching to Evo from an iPhone

Last Updated:

1. Androidcurious

Androidcurious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Placed my order today, paid for overnight shipping, should be getting it tomorrow.

I'm not going to bash the iPhone. I think it's a great device. I had no antenna issues, no ATT coverage problems, nuttin. I've just been lusting after the Evo from afar. Wanted to pull the trigger but figured I was happy. However, I recently added unlimited texting to iPhone and when I saw my new bill, that was that. Here I come Sprint, here I come Evo.

So, I just wanted to share my excitement with soon to be follow Android people. Here's hoping the Evo lives up to my expectations.

Advertisement
    Caloy and BenChase7 like this.
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

3. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 Well-Known Member

Welcome...The phone is totally kickass IMHO.... You will love it.

If you have a question this is an awesome community to get help from.

T

4. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

Best move I ever made....BEST! Ever before I rooted, my EVO experience was far better than iPhone could offer.

5. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

congrats on your move!!

6. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Android curious...like bi curious..?

Haha jk, welcome to the club. Youre going to love it

7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Android family mate! It's hard to switch platforms when you're happy with the one you currently have, so kudos to you!

At the beginning, it will be a little bit frustrating while you're trying to learn the User Interface, but all you need is just a little personal time with the phone and you'll be comfortable with it in not time. Congratulations on your new phone and hopefully you'll see a big drop in your phone bill. Cheers!

8. charmcityjz

charmcityjz Member

I made the switch a few months ago, from iPhone 3G to EVO. So far I am very happy! The hardest thing to live without/get used to was the music player and music sync. DoubleTwist works pretty good, but not as seamless as iTunes. Other than that, EVO and Android are awesome. ENJOY!!

9. uhuru

uhuru Member

Androidcurious,

If you bought the Evo from sprint.com, then you should call retention (*2 and ask for the dept) and tell them that you were told that the overnight shipping would be free. Keep in mind that you've a lot of leverage during the 30 day trial.

I hope your transition to the android platform is a pleasant one.

that_maynard likes this.
  10. Androidcurious

Thanks to all of you. Now I do have some questions.

1.) I've looked on the web and can't seem to get a good answer as to how to export all my iPhone calendar appointments to my Google calendar.

2.) I need a good but simple To Do app with reminders.

3.) Any word (I'll even take a rumor) on Netflix for Android?

11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

on question 2:
    try "astrid"

12. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member

Welcome. I switched from the iPhone to the EVO myself a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. :)

13. Androidcurious

Thanks, Brian. :)

Will my phone come with 2.2 or will it need to download it?

14. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member

Well, two weeks ago mine came with 2.1 and I had to do an update, but it was very easy, quick and painless. :) Dunno if they've begun to ship with 2.2 on 'em.

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Some users report the EVO is coming with 2.2. As BR states, its a quick painless process to update if not.

16. Androidcurious

Well I got it. I'm typing on it right now. Lot to get used to. So far I'm really impressed. Can't wait to really dive In.

17. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

root it if you really wanna dive in

18. JDog797

JDog797 Member

I also made the switch from the iPhone 3GS to the EVO. AT&T was just a bit pricey and Sprint had a bigger discount since I work for the Government. I would be stupid not to switch over. After 2 days with Sprint and my EVO, I have no complaints.

Oh, I also got the EVO for $249.99 plus a $100.00 mail in rebate as the sales person rang up the wrong phone for me (I didn't know at the time) and the next day the store manager called me to come back to the store so he could get me the correct reciept so I could send in for my rebate. He explained that it would cost me $50 more, but he would wave that fee as I already paid the $249. He was like congratulations on getting a deal on the EVO. You got it cheaper than anyone else. All I could do was shake my head and agree.

19. Androidcurious

Trying out Fring but I keep getting an error message saying "Fring can't work without an internet connection." My 3G is on, absolutely. Anyone know what that means?

20. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Member

congrats on your switch!

21. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Congrats on the switch. I've enjoyed Evo and Sprint since coming from Moto and ATT. 4G really is awesome if you have it in your area.

As for some of your issues so far, can't help with Fring - not into vidchat just yet, but you might want to try it via wifi first. Sometimes the 3G speed might be just a tad slow.

Never needed to root - there's more than enough capability without it even though rooting's the best way to totally control the experience.

ColorNote is a decent To-Do, but I don't know about it with reminders. I just put my to-do items on my Outlook that syncs with my phone directly. I don't think phones have ever been as easy to use as PDAs with regard to info-management, but solutions are aplenty and many free in Market.

Netflix has a lot of license/data protections issues to address for mobile streaming so it's not so much a delay from Android as it is from the entire process of download/stream licensing. The studios are afraid of being backdoored by Google or some other large company out of potential revenue.

The speech to text feature is decent now. When Google fixes it's Voice Action, it'll be awesome.

Since I got my Evo, my laptop only gets fired up for true PC-based activities.

22. Androidcurious

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone's been really cool I'm loving the phone.

23. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

you are going to be soo sorry....

for not doing it sooner! ;)