• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I directly compared the R with the Urbane

kwaping

Nov 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
kwaping.com
So I got a G Watch Urbane when they first came out and was generally happy with it. However, I learned that the G Watch R was basically the same inside and had the same screen. Since I preferred the looks of the R and it was $100 cheaper, I decided to order one of those as well. I was smart enough to keep the Urbane though, so I could directly compare them and send back the one I didn't want.

Well, surprising to me, I ended up keeping the Urbane. I didn't think I liked the Urbane's shiny metal as much, but what I didn't realize was that the all-black R looks visually larger on the wrist. The shiny bezel of the Urbane serves to break up the size of the watch very effectively, making it look much smaller and more like a regular watch. (I should mention I have tiny wrists, so this is important!) As my former boss loved to say, "perception is reality".

There is also a big difference functionally, which also really surprised me. The R is running OS 1.0.1 while the Urbane is running 1.1.1. Doesn't seem like there would be much of a difference, but there is - a lot! v1.1.1 is vastly superior to 1.0.1. Overall usability on the Urbane is much, much better.

If you're on the fence between these two watches, get the Urbane - at least, until the G Watch R is updated to the latest OS (if ever).

UPDATE: Now that the G Watch R is getting updated to the latest Wear software, the differences are lessened. However, there are still differences and the Urbane still wins. The R doesn't get WiFi support (yet??) and it still has the size-perception issue.

Still, if those two things don't matter to you, saving $100 over the Urbane is starting to be much more of a viable option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones