• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I do not receive more than 10 SMS

jaavi

Jun 21, 2010
Hi Champs,

I have this weird problem with messaging. I do not receive more than 10 (around) SMS.. To receive the 11th SMS, I'll have to restart the Phone literally.. I tried many Networks and SIM cards.. but the problem continues on every service provider.. The Customer Care guy talks nothing more than the Service Center Number which is fed correct in the phone.. I thought the problem is with the phone software and rooted it .. Tried GalaxoROM, and 1.6 Donut firmwares too.. but nothing fruitful..

This might be small setting problem or a similar thing.. but is a real big pain.. I'm having a conversation with friends and after few messages I do not receive his replies.. There is no problem with sending SMS.. my every message reaches the destination.. problem is only with the receiving messages..
Restart the phone and after few mins, I receive all those pending messages one by one..

I know you guys are champs in this field.. any solution would give a big relief to this frustrated human..

ive not seen this one before, its new although i think its more to do with the network smsc notifying your device rather than the device itself
when you reboot the device the network gets a responce on the smsc that you are available to retrive messages to it repushes them
sounds like you have a corrupt profile on the smsc

Upvote 0
corrupt profile on SMSC???
how should I resolve this?

to add to the efforts I made, while I was on GalaxoRom, I deleted the application MMS.. (rm Mms.apk).. This just disappeared the Messaging application and no SMS alerts.. Sender got delivery report for 10 messages and pending from 11th.. restored the ROM to get back my messaging application.. Problem remains..

Upvote 0
i think that the best way to be sure if its the provider or the cell itself is
to your SIM in other cellular and then to send 11 sms there to see if it works.

if it does -something wrong with your cell go to your provider and replace it.
if it doesnt - something wrong with the provider settings on your account, and then.. guess what? go to your provider :)

Upvote 0
@nimrodsv- tried that.. no problem if I put the SIM in any other mobile.. I received more than 20 messages without any problem when I used a Nokia phone (5320)..
and yeah, before rooting my phone (about two weeks back), I went to the Samsung Support Center.. They said they'll reinstall the firmware and currently they do not have the firmware with them as the Model is very new in market (lolz..).. They have taken my number and promised to call me back once they get it from their head quarters.. No Phone call yet.. and nothing to wonder, they are hopeless..

I haven't had this problem in the first two months of the use... Suddenly this problem started.. That is why am here for the experts to help..

btw, yesterday I flashed my phone with galaxo 1.6.3.3 based on JC6.. Theme: DarkSense ADW.Sense.. this looks cool.. am loving it.. few FCs appeared in the last 30 hours, but that's ok..

Upvote 0
are you talking about II5, JCB, JC6.. etc?
if so, I installed II5, JCB (1.6) and now running on JC6 (1.6-galaxo 1.6.3.3)..
checked the prb on every version and it existed..
if you are talking about something else.. can you please tell me how??

First time I see this issue, it's a weird problem.

When you flashed those other firmwares, did you use the "one package" in odin? Or did you skip the phone part?

Upvote 0
i used 'One package' for JCB
for JC6, I used PHONE, BOOT, PDA.

suggest me if you have any thoughts on this.. I can apply and give you the result..

am ready to completely remove everything on the phone (except hardware) and freshly install everything.. only if I knew how.. (tried *2767*3855# 'n' number of times when the phone was not rooted.. no help thoh)

Upvote 0
i used 'One package' for JCB
for JC6, I used PHONE, BOOT, PDA.

suggest me if you have any thoughts on this.. I can apply and give you the result..

am ready to completely remove everything on the phone (except hardware) and freshly install everything.. only if I knew how.. (tried *2767*3855# 'n' number of times when the phone was not rooted.. no help thoh)

To do a factory reset you can do it in the recovery or in the settings, it should be in SD card and Memory (something like that) and then you scroll down.

I really don't know how to solve this, sorry. I would have suggested changing the baseband too, but it seems like you tried already. You should go back to the store where you bought the phone and ask for support there.

I once did that (couldn't send SMS but could receive them) and they solved it live. It took the guy more than an hour and lots of phone calls, but he did it.

Upvote 0
@DaSchmarotzer- tried that.. but the people sitting here are lazy bone.. they don't even bother for their customers.. after explaining them the problem, they said only one thing.. the phone software is to be updated and currently they don't have it.. I lost hopes on them.. people here are more helpful than them.. that is why am here..

Upvote 0
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about your provider's phone support. Going in the store is a different story. If they won't help you start asking for a refund and changing company, that might get them to help you.

So, are you saying "about ten" or exactly ten messages? Have you thought about trying another SMS application? (I doubt it will work, but it might be worth trying.)

I just checked the different settings that have to do with SMS... none of them might explain why you can receive only 10 messages.

Wow, I just realized, this stuff sometimes happens to me too, but only when I lose the signal. It starts working again a few hours later and I receive all the messages late. (I should receive them as soon as the signal is found again, but nope. Takes a LONG while).

Maybe it has something to do with that? Trying my best to help you, it sucks when no one can solve a problem.

Upvote 0
lol... 90 out of 100 times it is 10.. very few times i noticed it worked only till 9 to stretch till 11..
tried Handscent SMS.. problem remains..

and about losing the n/w thing.. during the beginning of this problem.. I used to wait for more than day.. and when I rebooted my phone for some other reason, yesterdays messages reached me.. it took a while for me to understand the problem..

and it is taking a lot more than that to resolve it.. lolz..

i guess Nokia 3310 was the best phone I'v ever used... roflol... sometimes I wonder why the world is growing so fast..!!! more features.. more complications.. more problems.. no sleep..

Upvote 0
hey.. I tried different firmwares.. everything leaves a note in "about phone" hudson@.. andy@... root@sep53 #1... something similar.. will not the samsung guys know this phone is tampered?
I bought in India in January.. not carrier specific..
Is there any original firmware I can flash back?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones