• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I don't get it? help plz!!!

I cant seem to do anything without being unlocked? Any suggestions? I would really like to be root. Ive installed the ext4, not sure what that does for me though.

Ive been looking for a PG58IMG file that gives root (hopefully Im not mistaken) or a recovery that has root. Anytime I boot into hboot and try recovery it just reboots and I have to reset things on my htc.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Unlocked
pyramid pvt ship s-off RL
hboot-1.27.0000
radio-11.23.3504.07_M2
openADSP-v2.6.0.2226.00.0131
eMMC-boot
jan 13 2012, 17:33:34

Ive got it rooted, unlocked, s-off and all the good stuff.

I went through a site where I had to flash a recovery.img, the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" I typed in the CMD window (windows7) did not work. So I took the sd card out, found the recovery(.img) and replaced it with the cmw v5.0.2.0 image (I labeled it recovery just like the prior recovery image was called, *note I did not add the ".img" part).
My question on this is: Does just adding(replacing) this to the file do anything? Or is there some way I should have flashed it?

I have not tried the line: "fastboot flash recovery recovery" (*not adding the .img, part), in windows7 cmd.

Everything seems to be in order, Im about to attempt the cm 9 mod, after I back everything up.

I have root, super cid (11111111), s-off, unlocked bootloader, and SuperSU 1.14.zip (installed/updated).

Thank you (times infinity!!!!) for all you help!!!

Upvote 0
Unlocked
pyramid pvt ship s-off RL
hboot-1.27.0000
radio-11.23.3504.07_M2
openADSP-v2.6.0.2226.00.0131
eMMC-boot
jan 13 2012, 17:33:34

Ive got it rooted, unlocked, s-off and all the good stuff.

I went through a site where I had to flash a recovery.img, the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" I typed in the CMD window (windows7) did not work. So I took the sd card out, found the recovery(.img) and replaced it with the cmw v5.0.2.0 image (I labeled it recovery just like the prior recovery image was called, *note I did not add the ".img" part).
My question on this is: Does just adding(replacing) this to the file do anything? Or is there some way I should have flashed it?

I have not tried the line: "fastboot flash recovery recovery" (*not adding the .img, part), in windows7 cmd.

Everything seems to be in order, Im about to attempt the cm 9 mod, after I back everything up.

I have root, super cid (11111111), s-off, unlocked bootloader, and SuperSU 1.14.zip (installed/updated).

Thank you (times infinity!!!!) for all you help!!!

im a little confused. do you not have a recovery in place? if so,what are you trying to do? change to different one?

the command you list will work,since you are unlocked. just make sure the image is inside your adb/fastboot folder,make sure you are in that directory,and make sure you use the command with the exact name of the image. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img is correct if the image file is named "recovery".

the format is fastboot flash partition imagename.img (with a stock hboot you can only do recovery and boot partitions)

so,if you have a recovery image named "pyramid-cw-5.0.2.1" for example,the command is:

fastboot flash recovery pyramid-cw-5.0.2.1.img

this file has to be a .img file,not a .zip file.

zip files packed up with a properly named image,and a correct "android info" text document(the ones i linked in post #20 above) can be flashed differently,by renaming to "PG58IMG" and placed on a FAT32 formatted sd card. boot to hboot,and the phone will find,ask if you wish to update,and then update the file.

hope that clears up your recovery prollems. when you flash new roms,make sure you always back up a good working rom,and then do a "factory reset/wipe data" and for good measure wipe cache and dalvik cache.

that should let your rom install properly :) if you still have prollems,check the md5 sum,and compare it to one listed in the OP. if you cant find an md5 sum,move on to a new rom,or search the thread for other users asking the same question. a bad or incomplete download can defiantely lead to a splash hang,or bootloop.

I also have the cwm pro APK (you have to pay for in the app store) downloaded and on sd, Ive tried to flash it, but it aborts saying there is a conflict with the signatures.

Not a necessary thing, but would be nice to have.

im not familiar with this app. you may need do download "rom manager" and let it install a correct,more current version of the cwm. if you still have issues after that,maybe it is just not compatible with cmw images availble for sensation.

just a word of waring- do not use rom manger to backup or flash roms. its better to do those things manually in recovery. :)

Reactions: Muzencab
Upvote 0
I did a back up from recovery. In one full action with no reboots, I did a factory reset/wipe data" and for good measure wipe cache and dalvik cache. I was feeling frisky so I installed the cm 10, nightly (I know, I should do the stable, but I make a good guinea pig), and it worked!

scotty85, I give you my most genuine Thank You possible. Your patience with those of us learning is outstanding!!!

I tip my hat to you good Sir.

~Muzencab

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones