I don't have a UNIFIED INBOX...I have to manually switch between accounts.Support

Last Updated:

1. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisement
  2. Plumrt

Plumrt Well-Known Member

State which mail client

3. serpentine009

The one that simply says MAIL. I am assuming that is the HTC Mail client. Is that different from a regular Adroid mail client? I am very new to this, but I thought I read something about a unified inbox in Android 2.1 and the new Sense U/I.

4. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

You could add gmail to the default HTC client I suppose. It supports multiple accounts. That's assuming you are using the exchange client.

5. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

You can add your accounts to that app. I forget how right now since I don't currently use it. It's around here somewhere though.

6. serpentine009

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post. I have added a MSN account and a Yahoo account and a third party IMAP account. The widget will say that I have 22 new messages; however, when I open the mail account it takes me to Yahoo where there are only 5 new messages, then I have to manually select the MSN account to see that inbox.

That is not a unified inbox, that is 3 separate inboxes within 1 program. So that's where I am a little confused. I was expecting to be able to see 1 inbox with all of my mail across those 3 accounts.

7. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

When you say manually select do you mean something as simple as pushing a button at the top that switches the inbox to MSN? Or changing a program setting all together?

If it is the first, it sounds like its unified and they just keep it separate for organizational reasons.

8. serpentine009

It's the first, however, I wouldn't call that unified. More like organized.

9. misterghost

misterghost New Member

I understand exactly what you're talking about and looking for a way to resolve this myself. A lot of reviews and articles online state that with android 2.0, there's supposed to be a unified inbox.

It seems pretty silly to get a new email notification, select your mail widget, then not pull up a list of accounts that have the new emails to select from... it seems the application would rather just go to whatever mail account I last used instead of the one or ones that have the new emails waiting.

I also wish I could rearrange menu options on standard apps so that I could see the most used options without having to click on "more".

Anyways, back on topic.. there definitely should be a unified inbox stream "out of the box" or at least a more straightforward way to configure it.

10. douger

douger Well-Known Member

Both of my email accounts, Gmail and Microsoft Exchange, go to the notifications window. They'll be there until you dispense with the mail or clear the notifications page.

Unified enough?

11. MacTxn

MacTxn New Member

I'm kinda disappointed in this feature, too. I guess instead of "unified" I was expecting an "aggregated" inbox like on a Bberry -- where all your incoming messages get dumped into the same place by default, then, if you want, you can single them out by account. Sadly, the way this Mail client handles the Inbox is similar to the iPhone, which was always one of my main complaints with it.

12. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

Nolesfan and grahamma like this.
  13. serpentine009

@Douger...no that is not a unified inbox. That is a unified notification bar, that houses all of your notifications. That is a handy little feature, but what is annoying for me is the false advertising. It is time consuming and annoying to constantly switch back and forth between accounts. Will be reading email and get a notification and have to jump back and forth.

The point is...the term unified is used incorrectly in this case. I have two mail accounts and I have two inboxes with no way to merge(unify) the two together. They just happen to live in the same program. It would actually be easier to have two separate programs.

14. misterghost

misterghost New Member

Ok, I have installed the latest K9mail from the developer's website and so far, so good. I also came from using a blackberry, so this app seems to be working out. All of my different email accounts can now be accessed in one "integrated" inbox. This kind of 3rd party developer community-based solution is exactly one of the things i was hoping to benefit from with the Android platform!

k9-2706-release.apk
    http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/downloads/list

15. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

obviously alot of you have never used a BB lol

There is nothing "unified" about the stock HTC mailbox.

i will give k9 a try to i think.

16. Fredwithanf

Fredwithanf Member

I share in your frustration. I just can't understand why some developer can't/won't just mimic the blackberry inbox.

How has your experience with K9 been? I haven't been impressed with any of the clients I've tried.

17. crupp

crupp Well-Known Member

I would be happy with an interface like the one on the HD2. Where the mail widget displays your default account and their are mini mail icons on the left had side that display your other email accounts with an unread mail indicator. This makes it VERY easy to swith between accounts

18. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

I understand what you guys are looking for, and I hope this K-9 thing works for you.

Just as a flip-side to it, I had heard the same thing about the unified inbox and was actually relieved to see that it's not unified in HTC Mail. I wouldnt have my work email coming it at all if it were all going to be dumped in with all my gmail. Not sure how you guys manage that. It'd be a confusing jumble of email for me.

Glad there's a way for you to do what you want and a way for me to do what I want, too.

19. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

I just tried K-9 mail and it's great. It's not all dumped into one email list, but you see all of your accounts in one place and just have to click on that account to see your mail. Much better than the stock approach. Thanks for the information.

jakeh0 likes this.
  20. narf

narf Well-Known Member

If you get version 2700+ then you can see all email in one inbox but you can also browse by account as well. Be careful though, because versions 2706 and 2707 seem to be buggy. For instance if you are within the unified inbox and hit Menu > Compose the program will force close. Anyone else have this problem?

21. RustyNail

RustyNail Well-Known Member

Yep.

22. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Can't believe I haven't heard of this K9 thing. Will it even put Gmail in there and maintain sync or does that need to be kept separate for that reason?

23. narf

narf Well-Known Member

K-9 works fine with a gmail account. As a test I setup K-9 and kept the gmail app installed. I then sent an email to my gmail address. Both K-9 and the gmail app received the email simultaneously.

I also have a .edu account assigned to K-9 and that seems to have a 4 second delay. Not bad! I am just worried that IMAP IDLE (push) will hurt my battery. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. In theory it should be better than having periodic email checking (poll) but you never know. Seriously why couldn't HTC put IMAP IDLE into their mail app?

iowabowtech likes this.
  24. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Please keep us posted on your findings re: battery usage in particular. As a fellow BB fan, throwing all the chips into one kitty seem like a step in the right direction.

25. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Wow. I have 4 completely different email accounts (two for business and two personal) set up on my Incredible, all set up as IMAP for what it's worth, and it would drive me batty if they were all in the same inbox. I have separate accounts for a reason.

How's IDLE working out for you on K-9? I've posted at length about why IDLE is the Holy Grail of mobile phone email clients, if only someone could get it to work reliably. It should actually improve battery life, since it's only sending a very small NOOP command (kind of like a ping) instead of going through the whole send/receive cycle every X minutes that polling does.

The couple of third party clients I tried on my WinMo phones (FlexMail and Emansio) were horrid, to say the least, and IDLE didn't even work half the time.