i dont think my phone will turn off!

Last Updated:

1. sunny5001

sunny5001 Member This Topic's Starter

i know it sounds mental, but bascially i hold the top button down, select power off, confirm it, then i have the power off logo showing and spinning non stop untill i take the back and battery off and restart the phone!! anybody else come across this? am i somehow doing it wrong? i left my phone 'shutting down' all night so it doesnt sort itself out. is there some app etc that stops your phone shutting down that i may downloaded? any help appreciated as im meant to be getting on a plane soon!

Advertisement
  2. nickarcher

nickarcher Well-Known Member

Mine did something similar.

However, when I removed certain apps (Sky News) to combat a dreadful battery life this issue seemed to sort itself out as well!

3. carthesis

carthesis Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem, and was told that certain apps can cause this, such as Advanced Task Killer, and the Sky News app, etc.

You may also wish to unmount the SD card before powering off - this seems to help.

4. sunny5001

ok thanks, i will check my apps.

what does
    'You may also wish to unmount the SD card before powering off' mean? ive seen the choice to do it, but what will happen etc?

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

It stops anything accessing the SD card. Its like ejecting a CD. It remounts itself when you switch back on.

6. carthesis

carthesis Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what exactly happens - I presume that if you don't unmount it, the phone carries on checking it or shecking for it while trying to turn off and it slows it down or something.

I had a Galaxy i7500 before the Desire, and I didn't notice a problem with it shutting down without unmounting the card, but the Desire does seem to have a bit of an issue with it.

All I can suggest is that you try it and see. Failing that, try a factory reset and then install apps one by one, turning the phone off between each app to see if that causes it.

7. sunny5001

hooray success :)

i unmounted the sd card and it turned off fine, and it seems that it re-mounted itself when i turned it on, which is great.

thanks for all your help :)

8. Magicuk

Magicuk Well-Known Member

i would use task killer. before u turn your phone off go to task killer and kill the tasks that are running then turn it off should work then