• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I dropped my phone and screen broke, I have root

How broken is the screen? Can you at least see what's on the screen and still use the phone without the touch part? What root method did you use? If you can at least still see what's on the screen, all you need is to be able to get into hboot to unroot. If the screen is completely busted, and you can't use it at all, you can take your chances bringing it to a repair center (the cheapest option, by far). They may or may not check. Honestly, Sprint seems the most lenient, but, technically, they can deny you your warranty if they want. You *could* also just tell them you lost it, but I wouldn't necessarily condone insurance fraud, plus you'll have to pay $100 (assuming you have insurance).

Reactions: bostonsbrash
Upvote 0
If you do take the phone in and they do find that it has been rooted then they will flag the esn as DBR( damaged beyond repair) and then even the insurance wont cover it.

If the phone has been rooted, then insurance won't cover it, but can one pay the $35 out of pocket and have the screen replaced or does the rooting (DBR flag) nullify that option too?

Upvote 0
I don't agree with voiding your warranty if you root if something physical happens to your phone i.e. a charge port breaks, screen breaks or other physical damage. It correlates none to rooting.

Now if you root and your phone goes bonkers and either bricks or quits working right, then yes, because rooting was a direct cause.

Upvote 0
I don't agree with voiding your warranty if you root if something physical happens to your phone i.e. a charge port breaks, screen breaks or other physical damage. It correlates none to rooting.

Now if you root and your phone goes bonkers and either bricks or quits working right, then yes, because rooting was a direct cause.

In principle, I agree with you, but if you root, thus voiding your warranty, and you bring the phone in for physical damage, they can still rightfully turn down your warranty. That's not to say they will definitely check or care, but they still can. Like I said, though, Sprint seems to be pretty lenient about it.

Upvote 0
I'll bet the reason they flag rooted phones is that they're harder to refurbish and redistribute.

Is it possible to see your display through the microHDMI output? I know people use it for movies and photos, but won't it work with just whatever's on the screen? If so, you can use another screen to unroot, do a hard reset, and then return for repair.

Upvote 0
I'll bet the reason they flag rooted phones is that they're harder to refurbish and redistribute.

Is it possible to see your display through the microHDMI output? I know people use it for movies and photos, but won't it work with just whatever's on the screen? If so, you can use another screen to unroot, do a hard reset, and then return for repair.

People have been trying to get hdmi mirroring working since day 1. It's still not possible. Even if it did, I can't imagine it would work in hboot/recovery. Cool idea, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones