I figured something out.. how to close an app from active.General

Last Updated:

1. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe others already know this or figured this out. Apparently our phones work a lot like a Blackberry. On a Blackberry if you hit the home key or end key to exit an app it will stay running. Same thing happens here. However, if you hit the return key to exit the app it will stop running.

I tested this out on my Incredible and it also works. I used Facebook and a couple other apps as examples. If I go in to the app and then leave the app by hitting the home key it stays as an Active backgrounded app. If I however use the return key to leave the app and return to my home screen then the app is listed as inactive cached. This could help a lot of people with battery life and sleep issues, but I'm not sure. I know the way Android works that background apps aren't supposed to really do anything. There does appear to be a difference though. This also works on the Engadget app which I've heard people mention for not closing.

Advertisement
  2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

This method only works for certain apps. Hitting back is not a always-exit technique.

Also, unless the app is constantly syncing and sending data, it shouldn't affect battery life much. Background apps do not take up, if any, processing power as Android is able to handle the multitasking very efficiently, and can put an app on the backburner (still opened but using almost no power) until you need it again. And if its left unused for a while, or that RAM is needed elsewhere to power something else, it will close that existing app and transfer the RAM elsewhere.

3. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

I've been backing out the way Brian described since I've got it. Just got into the habit. I could see how it might be annoying for some, though.

Although I have heard a lot of others say what woop is describing is true.