I finally ordered a Hero!

Last Updated:

1. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I should be getting it sometime this week, (early next week at the latest). I'm going to do everything I can to be the eyes and ears of everyone here who is thinking about getting a Hero for themselves.

I am on AT&T and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I can do speed tests and such for anyone interested in the service in the area.

If there's anything in particular about the Hero that you're curious about, you can post your question here and I'll do what I can to answer you first hand.

Advertisement
  2. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

I just got mine 2 days ago and I am still thrilled. Running on Edge is not bad. When Im mobile i rarely want to browse a ton of heavy websites. I want to read gmail, maybe facebook, text, get baseball updates, lookup movies... all this works just fine over edge and the mobile versions of those apps.

I rode around in mr car yesterday listening to pandora streaming radio for an hour, and it streamed just fine.

You will be happy.

PS: DONT install Robo Defense. You will waste hours playing it.

3. quantumrand

Well there are an awful lot of flash based turret defense games, and the Hero supports flash ;)

It'll be fun to see which of those games work with it.

4. Edward Turner

Edward Turner Active Member

Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday. I am counting down the hours!!

5. effextc

effextc Member

Ahh! How are ya'll getting them so early??

I'm getting someone to take over my AT&T iPhone account so I can get this phone but that happens tomorrow (hopefully) and the Hero doesn't come out 'till the 10th of October officialy. I'll be with out a phone till then and using my wife's phone instead...if only there was a way to get one early... ;-)

Ahh... I shoulda thought that through a lil' more.... are you guys talking about the unlocked GSM versions?

6. quantumrand

Correct, we all have the European version (the one with the chin). Mine actually just came today, and I have to say, it's even better than I was anticipating.

I fiddled with it just a bit right out of the box to get a bit of a comparison between the original firmware, and the updated 2.73 firmware. If anyone hasn't updated to the latest ROM, DO IT! Everything is a LOT smoother. Sure, it takes away a bit of the bling, such as the flipping clock, but it's a small price to pay for the amazing responsiveness.

The one thing I was concerned about though was EDGE, but as it turns out, it's really quite manageable. I was in Frys and browsing Newegg to compare some prices. It took maybe 10 seconds for the search page to load, pretty comparable to my friend's iPhone 3G really.

Anyways, if anyone wants me to try anything, feel free to make a request. I might flash to MoDaCo later for tethering and A2SD. We'll see.

7. Edward Turner

Edward Turner Active Member

I am in the UK and ordered mine from Orange. It has just arrived and I now face a very long three hours waiting for it to charge!!!:D

8. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

3 hours :eek:

I had to do that when I got my HTC Magic , Time literally draggged on :D