• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I finally took the root plunge... I have just a few questions if someone would be so kind to help...

Today I took the plunge into rooting... or at least I have started the beginning stages. I'm going to make this very easy for anyone reading so that you may be able to better assist me.

I currently have installed sprecovery to gain root on stock 2.1 nothing else.

I want to install one of the new 2.2 roms. Here are my questions.

1. Right now even though I have sprecovery installed I understand that my phone is not rooted. I need to install a custom rom that is rooted then my phone will be rooted correct?

2. If my first question is correct then just downloading one of the sprecovery 2.2 roms and changing the name to update.zip then installing the rom should be fine correct? But... how do I install one of the OC kernels... is that an option in sprecovery? Will I need to overwrite the old 2.2 rom with a kernel? Can someone point me to info on installing kernels (I've looked).

3. I downloaded a program called droid mod updater and when I ran it I was asked if I wanted to root my phone... surely rooting can't be that easy so I just clicked quit. What is this program?

4. Last but not least I see everyone talking about Rom Manager. Is this a program only available if you have root access, and if not then what prevents someone from just downloading it on a stock rom and installing a custom rom?

Thanx in advance root family :)

Answer below in red...

I want to install one of the new 2.2 roms. Here are my questions.

1. Right now even though I have sprecovery installed I understand that my phone is not rooted. I need to install a custom rom that is rooted then my phone will be rooted correct? - Correct!

2. If my first question is correct then just downloading one of the sprecovery 2.2 roms and changing the name to update.zip then installing the rom should be fine correct? But... how do I install one of the OC kernels... is that an option in sprecovery? Will I need to overwrite the old 2.2 rom with a kernel? Can someone point me to info on installing kernels (I've looked). - Most custom ROMs are coming with custom kernels, and usually there is a list of kernels in the same thread where you downloaded the ROM. The kernel is applied after the ROM is installed ... typically the same method as installing the ROM. Make sense?

3. I downloaded a program called droid mod updater and when I ran it I was asked if I wanted to root my phone... surely rooting can't be that easy so I just clicked quit. What is this program? Yes, that app will root your phone for you. But if you want to try the newly-released 2.2 Froyo, it would be a waste of time, basically.

4. Last but not least I see everyone talking about Rom Manager. Is this a program only available if you have root access, and if not then what prevents someone from just downloading it on a stock rom and installing a custom rom? - I don't use ROM Manager. I don't see the need. I guess it's just a tool that makes ROM management and/or installing easier for some.

Thanx in advance root family :)

You're welcome. And thanks for asking VERY intelligent questions. It was quite refreshing actually. :)

Upvote 0
Go Go Moto Rooter! (I just had to say that....)

Welcome aboard the Moto Rooter train, droidfellow- may your stay be pleasant as you descend into the nitemarish hell of being a ROM addict ... er, I mean, Have lots and lots of fun trying all sorts of new things. Constantly. As in every other day, and 3 times on weekends.... :p

Seriously, though, enjoy this, and glad you decided to take the plunge. You'll be happy. Be sure to ask any more questions you ant to here - like Joe said, your Qs were refreshingly intelligent, and most of the folks here are gonna get you an answer pretty quickly....

Upvote 0
You're welcome. And thanks for asking VERY intelligent questions. It was quite refreshing actually. :)

Totally agree with the intelligent questions being refreshing! :D

In regards to the kernels, don't get too hung up on finding a good kernel when you get to a 2.1 ROM. Every time you install a new ROM, the boot partition (where the kernel lives) is overwritten. So if you plan on moving on to the 2.2 ROM, any kernel you flash on the 2.1 ROM will be lost. Make sense?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones