I forgot to do a Nandroid Backup...

Last Updated:

1. Dienime

Dienime New Member This Topic's Starter

I forgot to do a Nandroid Backup on my Eris before rooting and now I need to get back to stock.

I tried the PC-based firmware fix, but it doesn't work for some reason :/

I did at one point stumble upon a Nandroid backup someone had made for the Hero - it worked, but, of course, not well, since it's an Eris, not a Hero.

This makes me wonder - can't someone else just send me their Nandroid backup and I'll restore from that?

If that's possible, can someone do that for me?

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

3. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

That is very true on personal info, but what if you just flashed a rom didn't sign in and power down did a nandroid. Of course why can't he just flash a new rom? Now if you rooted and can't get to the home screen and can't install a rom to the root of the sdcard, I can see where you may need a nand, but that would mean you erased the zip off the sdcard.

Now that this has been asked, I could send a friend a nandroid before I do all the sign in then it is just a restore on his phone. That would save him time if in a hurry or just real lazy. The bad thing is I have too much time on my hands.

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I agree with mhotovec that the link he provided will both get you back to stock and be slightly better than restoring a Nandroid backup, because the latter will not restore the factory recovery boot, whereas the former does.

OTOH, (for the record) a properly-performed Nandroid backup need not divulge any personal info: the person that has the backup can:

0) First, make a Nandroid backup of whatever is on their phone.
    1) Restore the desired backup onto their own phone.
    2) Wipe data/factory reset.
    3) Make a Nandroid backup of that.
    4) Restore the Nandroid backup from step 0, and then give the backup created in step 3 to the second party.

All private data is stored in /data, and performing a "Wipe data/factory reset" in Amon_RA expunges it.

Nevertheless, the link that mhotovec provided is a better idea if you are trying to return the phone to a true factory state (because it replaces the recovery boot with the factory version also).

eu1

6. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

You can flash the FlashBack ROM, or you can find the official Verizon RUU .exe file. That's what I used to unroot my phone the other day and it was very simple... just plug the phone into the computer, run the .exe file, and wait. 5-10 mins later, your phone is back to stock.

Also, just a side note... I don't believe you can do a nandroid backup before rooting anyway, so don't fret about "forgetting" it ;)

7. Dienime

Dienime New Member This Topic's Starter