• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I found a nexus 6 and no person on there now I want to activate it and it Google sync to who had it

I don't have a phone that has FRP, and I think I'm glad. Sounds like something I don't want anything to do with.

Being that my phone should be updated to 6.0 eventually, how would I go about disabling this nonsense?
If you factory reset, you have to enter the google credentials of the phone account before you can get back in. There is no way around it... if there were then there would be ways around it for theives, which would defeat the intended purpose of removing incentive for phone theft.

The main time it would be a problem is when the phone is being transferred to new owner...
In that case the first owner should completely remove security (pin etc) and remove his google account from the phone before doing the factory reset. Then the 2nd owner can log in under any account they wish.

One other time it is a problem is if you change your password before factory reset. If you do that it triggers a 72 hour wait (from time of password change) until you can get back in. It's not defeatable unless you go through the same steps above as if you were selling the phone, or else just plan ahead and avoid changing google password within 72 hours of reset.

And that's all google. The phone oem's may have their own twists.

http://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you factory reset, you have to enter the google credentials of the phone account before you can get back in. There is no way around it... if there were then there would be ways around it for theives, which would defeat the intended purpose of removing incentive for phone theft.

It shouldn't be a problem unless the phone is being transferred to new owner...
In that case the first owner should completely remove security (pin etc) and remove his google account from the phone before doing the factory reset.

Ok, I gotte admit that one other time it is a problem is if you change your password before factory reset. If you do that it triggers a 72 hour wait (from time of password change) until you can get back in. It's not defeatable unless you go through the same steps above as if you were selling the phone, or else just plan ahead and avoid changing google password within 72 hours of reset.

http://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Sounds like I won't be updating to 6.0 then, or I'll be looking to go back to a feature phone. I'm really getting tired of all the crap Google and the phone manufacturers are forcing on us. It ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I don't have a phone that has FRP...
Being that my phone should be updated to 6.0 eventually...
Sounds like I won't be updating to 6.0 then
Are you sure you don't have it? Factory Reset Protection was introduced in Lollipop, so your phone may or may not already have it.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-19-05-29-16.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-19-05-29-16.png
    190 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Sounds like I won't be updating to 6.0 then, or I'll be looking to go back to a feature phone. I'm really getting tired of all the crap Google and the phone manufacturers are forcing on us. It ridiculous.
I seem to fail to see how this is crap. This is simply making the phone unusable to a thief. Basically it's a deterrent. A thief won't be able to do anything with an Android phone.

Upvote 0
For me, I prefer not to have a lock screen that I have to enter a pin. I still have Android Device Manager to erase my device if needed. Never tried it so hopefully it will work.
FRP has messed a lot of people up who have it on their device and do not disable it before trying to root. Usually see a few a week here looking for help.
If you got it and you use and like it, great.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have my device FDR automatically than someone getting access to my contacts pictures and other personal information stored on my device.

Damn right, I can restore all of my important stuff from my PC.
I can't repair the horrible damage to accounts, and passwords if anyone can use my phone.

Pincode on mine, you miss it 10 times and it will FDR.

Upvote 0
I seem to fail to see how this is crap. This is simply making the phone unusable to a thief. Basically it's a deterrent. A thief won't be able to do anything with an Android phone.
It's crap in the sense that I don't want it on my phone, and for now it doesn't seem as if there is much choice in that. For me personally this is a garbage "feature" that will be far more of a pain than a benefit.

Upvote 0
It's crap in the sense that I don't want it on my phone, and for now it doesn't seem as if there is much choice in that. For me personally this is a garbage "feature" that will be far more of a pain than a benefit.
How is it a pain to enter your credentials after a factory reset? Just curious. Sound like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Upvote 0

It's much more of a pain to criminals I think, because factory reset protection devalues stolen phones. You might not get much of a choice, because iPhones have it as well.

The OP can't use or really sell that lost Nexus 6. Only thing can do with it, is try to return it to the rightful owner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not making mountain out of a mole hill. This SHOULD be opt-in, not mandatory. If there was a clear way to turn it off you wouldn't hear anything from me. If you would bother to read my initial question instead of piling on me because I don't agree with you it would be obvious.

I don't like that Google thinks they know what's best for me, the same complaint I have with Apple.

Reactions: Fangthane
Upvote 0
I'm not making mountain out of a mole hill. This SHOULD be opt-in, not mandatory. If there was a clear way to turn it off you wouldn't hear anything from me. If you would bother to read my initial question instead of piling on me because I don't agree with you it would be obvious.

I don't like that Google thinks they know what's best for me, the same complaint I have with Apple.
I agree,choice is good,but,I think a fair compromise here would be an opt-out option instead of opt-in,with it clearly explained what that entails,in the initial device set-up.
I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished & retain the option of device security,unless I'm overlooking the obvious.............

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones