I found a PRL to FORCE ROAMING with Triangle and without!!!!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. Lyvewire

Lyvewire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I been searching to force my phone to roam since purchasing my EVO June 4th. I even returned a Hero at one point because it couldnt force roaming...At that time.(seen a hack recently)

I did come across the this post by Technofile over in the XDA forum

[6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers

I tried this and although it DID allow me to roam on Verizons Network I still didnt have any bars at work, no triangle and the signal was still low. I believe he had listed this Corolada PRL Page for older PRLS and I also found these PRLS for anyone looking to reverse back to a better Sprint PRL after they updated a more current version http://cid-eabe29f3770d8d15.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/PRLs

None of these PRLS at either link provided these 2 PRLS I located which is why I'm posting them. I was one of these people that had posted I'd pay $50 for this kind of application because I needed it THAT bad. Now you dont have to pay anything, (if it works for you). I wont write how many PRLS I tried before finding the one that works, (lets just say I lost some sleep), but here you go

View attachment 51807 EVDO (modified for Sprint Phones).zip

View attachment 51807_NON-EVDO.zip

I've seen other posts turn into a "how do I get my MSL number" so I'll list MY way hopefully to avoid going off topic.

To get your MSL if you have a old Sprint phone. Go online to the Sprint.com site and swap your phone to the old phone. Then swap your EVO back online to your line, (if applicable per $10 fee may prevent doing this ONLINE), so you may need to call Sprint twice from a landline or diff number. When your calling to re-swap your Evo back take down that 6 digit MSL number the rep gives you when programing it so that you can keep your PRL swaps as painless as possible in the future when needed. I only put my method since calling and asking for it can go either way per previous reports.

Once you have your MSL your going to do two things. I attached the files to my gmail account from my pc after I downloaded them and then sent an email to my email I use on MY EVO. This way I can download them to the phone and save the files to my Astro Application I use, (download it from market if you dont have it).

Once you download them to your phone and you can see them in Astrow downloads folder go to your dialer and dial ##775#. enter your MSL and you'll see "Update PRL". Tap the Update PRL tab and it will show you whatever .PRL files you have on your phone. Pick the PRL you want, hit the back button then press the menu button. Hit the commit mod tab and the phone will restart. Once it restarts your in business!

51807_NON-EVDO shows the Triangle

51807 EVDO is modified to show no Triangle

Not saying anyone else needs to or whatever but I'm personally going to donate to this technofile guy just for throwing the idea to do this out there to me when I was starving for a hack to roam. lol I definetely wouldnt of known how to do this if I didnt come across his post. I'm the furthest thing from a hacker but wanted to share it the same way I'd like for someone to share with me if I needed it. Hope this helps whoever needed it..Oh yea and he said this best. Hope you dont mind the copy and paste.

DISCLAIMER: The following information is provided for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. I am not responsible for any physical or monetary damages that may occur due to the educational guide below. I also do not guarantee that the following information would work for every individual, or that it would always be effective in the future.

Advertisement
  2. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

So... this gives another option in the Roaming selection besides Sprint and Automatic? Does this affect 3G/EVDO speed? How old is this PRL? Does it affect the ability to dial *2? ???

3. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

uh, oh for some reason I think Sprint is definitely going to stop all this once it goes mainstream and gets widely abused.

4. Lyvewire

Dont know how old it is, I just know it works for me, and it doesnt appear on the old corolada list. When your roaming I dont believe you can access data to use the net though. Which I dont care for when at work where I have a pc or in my house where service sucks. Texts come thru just fine though. When you dial *2 it says your on Verizon

Funny you said that. When this worked for me I wondered if I should post for that same reason. Then I realized I been doing the same for years. On every phone I've had. Most recently the Touch Pro 2 which the been around for a while now on windows..

5. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

The data roaming is the exact reason that this is going to be a problem and why Sprint is trying to phase out forced roaming. Let's all just enjoy it while we can! :) The much easier solution is to use the CM6 ROM! :) They added an option in for forced roaming.

6. tomhagen

tomhagen Well-Known Member

Newb question...

What is the point of this?

MSL? Forced Roaming?

You may now hang me out to dry.

7. Lyvewire

I guess I been in the wrong forum.not big on flashing my phone however I would of so the day I got my phone. I'll have to look into that eventually.I know there's a few other threads started for the same reason. Maybe that will help them as well

8. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

I use forced roaming while at work because the signal is non-existent in my office building. When I had my Pre I would just flip back and forth between forced roaming and no roaming coming and leaving the office.

9. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

10. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

Interesting about them canceling him. Sprint publicly commented to the fact that they DID this but only for people who were roaming AND using large amounts of data while roaming, not voice calls.

Odd.

I've been a Sprint Customer since about 99~2000 myself. My contact expired in 2008, I didn't renew until I got my EVO on June 4th. I've been unhappy with various things ever since, maybe I should force roaming and see if they cancel me lol! That Droid-X is looking pretty neat... Besides, my wife, and both of out kids are on Verizon, I'm still over here on Sprint.

11. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

Any reason why your family is on different carriers? It'd be cheaper for you to go to Verizon and get added on wouldnt it?

12. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member

Weird before I could hit ##775# now its asking for a password

13. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I was on Sprint before me and my wife met, just kinda kept it... My Samsung Instinct was hacked for PAM (Phone As Modem) and I was used to using it for my laptop as a portable modem, didn't want to loose that as Sprints always been a little more relaxed about Tethering.

Kinda wanting this Droid-X though. Waiting to see how the whole rooting thing turns out. I know its sorta rooted now but I want a fully rooted phone with no issues from eFuse before I move over. If that happens, I'll have to roam the shit out of my EVO and see if Sprint kicks me. If not, I'll just terminate, pay the ETF so the ESN is clean (and my credit stays good) and sell it on eBay for Craigslist and buy a Droid-X maybe.

I guess I don't completely dislike my EVO 4G, so far its been "OK" but I'm kinda annoyed at Sprint just a little and the orignal Droid got such good support and all.

14. Lyvewire

You would need to get your MSL. Thats the 6 digit number I talked about. Some people have a hardtime getting some dont according to the previous forums. Which why I recommend just swapping your phone to an old 1 and swapping back if you have one...

15. Lyvewire

As for excessive roaming...I been warned about before and this was for LEAVING my phone on roaming and not switching back for 2 STRAIGHT months.

I was told once your over 800 roaming that can be considered excessive. After that I continued to roam but only as needed. They was quite aware my signal sucked in my area from my previous calls so didnt make a big fuss. Plus they wasnt aware I was using a roaming cab on my touch pro 2.

After that I just continued to use it as needed and not abuse. Never bothered me again...

16. pezlin

pezlin New Member

So which of those two files are the original PRLs? If i'm going to be switching back and forth when needed, I'd assume I'd need an unaltered PRL to go back to sprint... right?

(Apologies for the newbish question)

jaekastro likes this.
  17. Lyvewire

In order to toggle back and forth. When you want the regular Sprint latest PRL you just hit update in system updates menu under Update PRL. When you want to roam use the attached PRLS. HOWEVER if you update to FROYO ##775# is not allowing us to get to the screen to manually change PRL's...People are working on that now

18. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

there is already a workaround for this. you need to be connected to a computer now, though. using CDMA workshop, you can push a different PRL to your device. i've been trying to find the thread related to this but can't seem to

19. Lyvewire

I seen that workaround as well. It required way too much to toggle everytime your looking to force. With the ##775# hack, it was all done within the phone in a few minutes.Good for when your on the go or not near a pc since the files are on your SD card.

20. CrozB

CrozB Member

So I understand why you would want this if you have bad coverage for voice calls. However I have a questions about Data.
    We have a favorite camping spot we take the motor home to. I often have to do work when I am up there but it is a good trade off for getting to take extended weekends.

Last year I was with Alltel and 3G was no problem. Since I switched to sprint, I get great signal strength, but it says I am roaming and I never get better then 1x speeds.

My question is, will this hack (pushing the PRL

21. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

You have to try it and see. None of us know what cell sites are where and which ones are equipped for 3G data.

22. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

Call me a noob but... what exactly does it mean to be roaming? All I know is that I'm almost always roaming at my house, and I never have a connection.

23. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

Sorry, wrong thread. Lol.

24. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

It means in the absence of a signal from your service (Sprint), it will connect to a compatible other service (Verizon).

25. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

I have tried this and it does NOT work :(