• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories I Found the Slimmest Car Mount for the Evo

I received the mount today. It works PERFECTLY now. Whereas before I had trouble fitting my EVO (with and without my Innocase), it now fits perfectly and holds it very securely. Apparently they've redesigned the foam padding inside, before it was actual foam, now it seems like a more compressable soft plastic. the picture below doesn't show it very well.

all i can say is this is THE BEST phone mount for our EVO now. Since it's made for the smaller iphone and fits our larger EVO, it'll definitely fit any other phone in between (not sure about ones with keyboards though).

Do you mount to windshield or vent? Any vibrations from the former?

Upvote 0
i'm using it with the vent mount since it's illegal to mount on the windshield in California. The bendable neck of the mount is VERY tough and will hold its position. The suction seems of quality also.

The vent mount clips looks like they were changed too and now clip to the vent much sturdier than i remembered a few months ago when i got this mount (which i then returned).

My only concern is that the gripping claws are pretty strong and will require two hands to put the phone in, but that's also a good thing since that phone won't be going anywhere once it's gripped.

Upvote 0
i'm using it with the vent mount since it's illegal to mount on the windshield in California. The bendable neck of the mount is VERY tough and will hold its position. The suction seems of quality also.

The vent mount clips looks like they were changed too and now clip to the vent much sturdier than i remembered a few months ago when i got this mount (which i then returned).

My only concern is that the gripping claws are pretty strong and will require two hands to put the phone in, but that's also a good thing since that phone won't be going anywhere once it's gripped.

Thanks... I think I am sold.

Upvote 0
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger. However I have a cheaper windshield mount with the long arm that bounces all over the place. How steady does this hold?

Although I usually use the vent mount, the arm holds pretty steady. Another member mentioned curving it into an "S" and resting the bottom curve on the dash, which is what I do when I do use the windshield mount.

Upvote 0
For those with cases too big for this mount, you may want to look into the Arkon Slim Grip Car Mount:

sm515.jpg

It's still fairly slim, but just has more of a back to it. It also seems to hold on to the phone better with better tolerance for even thick-ish cases. You can get it with a variety of mounts -- windshield, cupholder, cig lighter, sunvisor clip, dash, vent, seat/floor (which is what I have but with a different holder), etc. All their mounts fit their various models of Arkon holders, too.

Rather than ordering off the Arkon.com website, you can almost always find them cheaper (or at least with free shipping) on eBay, Amazon, Buy.com, etc.

This is the holder I have on the seat bolt/floor mount option (Arkon Mega Grip):

sm425-s.jpg

My Evo in its Seidio Rugged Innocase (or just the Innocase) covers the whole thing except the "elf ears" on the side, but it is bulkier than the Arkon Slim Grip. Bulky is more tolerable with this floor/seat bolt mount though, because it's not so in-your-face like the windshield or vent mounts (JMHO).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thanks for the reccomendation..best mount! works great, very secure, still have a tape deck to out put to and my cig charger also close by, so all works well!

now tune-in radio or Pandora all the way to work and back...!

Had mine for a couple of weeks and love it also. Actually made the recommendation before I had it myself. Surpassed all my expectations.

Upvote 0
Had mine for a couple of weeks and love it also. Actually made the recommendation before I had it myself. Surpassed all my expectations.

i only had one issue...

the "door" to the CD slot on my vehicle (2002 nissan pathfinder) stays closed/locked unless loading or unloading a disc. so i had to hit the load button to get the door open to accept the device.

I dont play Discs in my car anymore (ipod/evo). so even if it jams it up i (sort of) dont care. but others may not like that.

otherwise holds my evo in its Seidio case or without or my ipod or my gps without issue. even did a hands free google search for an autoparts store, got the number and phoned without risking my life...

Upvote 0
i only had one issue...

I dont play Discs in my car anymore (ipod/evo). so even if it jams it up i (sort of) dont care. but others may not like that.

otherwise holds my evo in its Seidio case or without or my ipod or my gps without issue. even did a hands free google search for an autoparts store, got the number and phoned without risking my life...

I agree, don't know who uses cd's anymore but this idea was genius, the ability to use my cd slot for this. Now newer radios I see hide the cd slot and I'm sure if not already someone will just not include a cd slot at all. Just Bluetooth capability, aux, or iPod.

I bought the Mountek holder from eBay for $19 and it is by far the best EVO mount you will find in the market. Pretty nifty idea of using your CD slot to anchor the mount. I have a Hyundai Sonata and the only things that are covered up are the clock and the hazard button in the dash.

In my car the radio is so high it merely blocks part of the radio but I also have a remote so no harm there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones