• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I gave up social media.

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
So I love to talk and I love hanging out with people, in person or not.

Therefore, I had become a Facebook addict. I was like a junkie who would "shoot up" "snort", etc anytime I had a few seconds or minutes to spare. Instagram was similar but not as bad. I even had Google+ once, and Twitter twice.

Finally I dumped FB and Instagram FOR GOOD! All others are now deleted too.

Sure, I miss out on what's going on. Sure, I had made some real friends from both and now all I can do is maintain them and not make more.

I just don't care. I am tired of "friends" meaning a one-click thing to make and delete. I am tired of feeling the need to check notifications. I'm tired of drama. I'm tired of people who have completely different digital lives than they do in person. I'm tired of it all.

I'm doing fine without it!

Who's with me? Who thinks I'm crazy? All opinions are welcome!

Thoughts??

There are many positives. I met some true friends there. I've helped people in times of need because I saw it there. I've gone to events organized there. I've met new people. I've learned things about people and they have learned about me. I've shared pictures and seen others so I know what the place they live looks like.

I think if a person can only check Facebook once a day, but otherwise stay off, it's fine. However I always do things to extreme.

Once I had a smart phone and ability to check it anytime, it was the beginning of the end. I tried staying off for long periods of time. I tried only posting once a week. None of this worked.

Then in January 2012 I deleted my account, only to come back in about 6 weeks and rebuild it.

This time I went about 7 weeks without using it (besides messenger occasionally), then dumped it again and this time for good.

I dumped Instagram too. I dumped Google+. I had twitter twice before and got tired of it now it's gone.

For some reason I had linked in and so I dumped it too. I also dumped plaxo which I had before and never used anyhow.

One time, a friend posted a picture of her coffee, that included her debit card and most of the numbers! I commented and told her how dangerous that was and she shouldn't do it. I got unfriended. Heck I thought she was a real friend too even in person more than the internet! This is what social media does to people! There are many dumb things a person can do once and not suffer serious consequences. That isn't one of them!

Upvote 0
I have a FB account but I am never on there....Too much drama.... and stalking going on....
I like G+ though because it's not so personal...if you don't want it to be. I don't do hangouts or post much on it...but I like it for what it is...
other than that...AF forums is my go- to for social media shenanigans and support:) the people here are very nice and helpful and respectful...don't seem to mind my silly ramblings too!!!
plus I've even made a friend or two....:)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the "no facebook" club! I deleted my account a few years ago. I never liked it anyway, with its clunky interface and non-intuitive features. But then I started reading about its covert tactics involving users' data, and I was done with it. Haven't missed it for one millisecond and will never go back.

I love Twitter, but am not addicted to it. I tweet when I actually have something to say; I enjoy reading tweets from people with similar interests; and it's very much a part of my life every Thursday, when we have #BrainTumorThursday (for those of us who've had brain tumors, and families/loved ones of people with brain tumors).

I have Google+ but just haven't gotten into it.

All in all, I think there's a place for social media, but I draw the line at posting every unremarkable moment of one's daily life. I mean, does anyone TRULY care that you burped at 3:03pm? :laugh:

Upvote 0
I have google +, twitter and fb. i'm considering dropping fb but i have many friends from other countries on there. i mainly read twitter and g+ is mostly for tech news.
G+ is great for keeping up with all types of news...just stay away from the comments section :eek: I just follow a bunch of tech/news sites. i like it a lot better than twitter, although i find twitter to be more instant(which is good and bad). I've never used either for their social aspect, just as an information melting pot.

Upvote 0
I respectfully disagree on some of the negative feedback about Facebook ... Personally, I love the network and what it does. Yeah, I might be amongst the few who does, but that's just how I feel.

If I could change a few things on FB, one of them would definitely be some the unnecessary postings that many people be doing.

I also do Twitter, not a fan of G+ or whatever its called. ;)

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I quit FB a few years ago, totally deleting the account. Just started it back up a few weeks ago and liking it this time around. Met up with a bunch of old high school friends. I like the format of G+ but just haven't used it much yet. I use Twitter strictly as my Android news source. I only follow people or groups that mean something to me in that regard. That keeps my stream very manageable at all times.

Upvote 0
I respectfully disagree on some of the negative feedback about Facebook ... Personally, I love the network and what it does.
As long as you're actually aware of what it does, and you're okay with that, fine. :)

I wasn't! Once I found out about their security breaches, privacy breaches, covert sharing of user data, tracking users after they innocently used the 'like' button on any site, etc., I was out of there. :vroam:

Twitter has come in handy for me a number of times--including the day my best friend's son died. The first info we got was on Twitter, in response to one of my tweets. (He was in the Army.) It amazed me that I could throw a question out into the Twitterverse and almost immediately get info back.

Upvote 0
I, personally, applaud you.:congrats:
I believe you have finally freed yourself to live your real life in the real world.
I have wondered several times how many of us will wish on our deathbed that we had gotten out more in the fresh air, or gone to visit an old friend across town, instead of mindlessly adding "friends" that want to scope out our lives with ill will.
I have never had a facebook, but spent way too much time cruising the old "myspace" site. I don't miss it at all!

Upvote 0
Since AF seems to be male predominate, female members are fairly safe from the usual BS that goes on in a female dominated forum.

I quilt, and can still work with old programmable Pfaff sewing machines, so I like to pick up hints or try to help someone who just acquired one of the old beasts. The members are usually old biddies and the conversations head to DD (dear daughter)
DH, DSIL. Also goes to why don't you have grandkids? Everyone needs grandkids.

I have a suspicion they are faking this. The Vulcan is NOT a DH, he's an old fart!
I do have grandkids - they all have 4 legs and tails and either meow or dook.

At least on these fora, it seems to stay more on subject without the personal inquiries.

The astronomy and photography fora seem to stay on topic, also.

I have 2 people on FB, I keep up with pics of their kids, then use email. My kid sticks pics of her Moggies in there, so I look at those. The rest I can ignore. I didn't use my real name, no info, and FB won't take East of the Sun and West of the Moon for a location. So it's blank. I do NOT want to be pestered by anyone from my old high school. Even my former boss can't find me. He's asked.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones