I got a few questions about Root + Froyo

Last Updated:

1. nyczducky

nyczducky Active Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to root in the past but I ended up with some error and just reflashed the stock rom.

I'm currently running on the 1.47.651.1 build. My ultimate goal is to get Froyo on my phone. Specifically the Nightly Cyanogenmod Froyo that is out.

I have a few questions.

What is NAND and what does it do?
    What is a recovery console and how do I use it or install it?
    What is Clockworkmod?

What would be a good way to root. I see tons of guides and "idiot proof" guides but no explanation of what anything does.
    How in the world do I flash a ROM on?
    What is the best way to get the Nightly Cyanogenmod on a Stock Evo 4G?

Any help would be appreciated!

And yes I searched around forums and found a lot of different "guides" that have so many different methods and steps and those 3-4 click root solutions are either buggy or don't unlock NAND which apparently is need for Cyanomod? I'm just a bit confused...

Advertisement
  2. hodedofome

hodedofome Well-Known Member

DonDon't have time to type it all out but I was where you were just a few weeks ago. Simpleroot unlocked NAND. Try that out and see if it works for you. Rom Manager is an app in the market that lets you flash the froyo rom after you get your evo fully rooted. Or any other rom for that matter. It's incredibly easy once you get it rooted. You download the nightly zip file from cyanogen, put it on your sd, go into rom manager, choose install rom from sd card. Find the zip on your sd card and your done. You'll also need to flash the gapps zip file and maybe another radio as well. You do those very similarly, in the recovery mode where you install rom you just choose to install zip from sd card. Once you've done this you'll realize how easy it is. Look at tutorials, watching videos and read you'll get there. Took me forever cause I'm an idiot.

nyczducky likes this.
  3. nyczducky

nyczducky Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks I'll try that. I just finished up with Simple Root.
    Going to try to flash the rom. I used to do this all the time on my Touch Pro but rooting is a different process. lol

4. hodedofome

hodedofome Well-Known Member

OK lemme see if I can explain a little more for you since I'm not typing on my Evo:)

I don't know what NAND stands for, I just know that it needs to be unlocked in order to flash a rom like CM6 (Cyanogenmod Froyo rom). You can root your phone fairly easily using Unrevoked3. However, Unrevoked doesn't unlock NAND as far as I can tell it just gives you root access to run apps like Titanium Backup, Wifi Tether, ShootMe, etc. I used Unrevoked and was able to flash some roms like Baked Snack but couldn't flash CM6. I tried SimpleRoot [Program] SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition - xda-developers but it didn't work for me. There's a step that asks you to go to a flash website on your phone in order for the program to install a hack but it never worked for me. If it works for you, bless you. It'll save you a lot of reading and command line programming. If SimpleRoot doesn't work for you, let me know.

ClockworkMod Recovery is part of Rom Manager. Once you're rooted you can install Rom Manager and it'll probably ask you to flash ClockworkMod Recovery in order to install a Rom. The Evo has a recovery console/program/whatever you wanna call it built in. If you turn off your phone, and hold the volume down and power button at the same time for about 4-5 seconds, you'll boot into Evo's recovery console. ClockworkMod Recovery is similar to the Evo's stock recovery console, but has more features is what I understand. In the recovery console you can flash roms and radios, do nandroid backups and restores, clear data/cache and delete all your settings. When someone says flash a rom, all you really do is tell the recovery console to install a zip file of a rom on your sd card. So flash = installing cyanogenmodfroyo.zip or whatever.

The CM6 nightly files can be found here: Cyanogenmod Nightly Build [check link for newest version] Update 7/24 Full Market - xda-developers In that thread is also the Gapps (Google Apps) file you'll need to flash in order to get access to the market. Follow the instructions in the thread.

Remember to make a backup of your apps and data. Even though Unrevoked doesn't unlock NAND, the fact that it gives you root access to run Titanium Backup and backup your apps, data, and system data is worth it before trying all of this IMO. Also, with Unrevoked giving you root access you can install Rom Manager and make a complete backup of your stock image so if something was to go to crap you could always do a complete restore and it would look like nothing happened. Be careful when restoring system data from the stock Rom to the CM6 Rom, I tried that and it was very unstable. I reflashed the CM6 Rom and just restored my apps w/ data and it worked fine after that.

5. evofreak

evofreak Active Member

quick explination, nand is nandroid backup. its where you back up your phone,rom. the easiest way to use it is clockworkmod. clockwork lets you dow

6. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

in my opinion u sir have failed.Clockwork is a Recovery that u need to be able to flash a ROM into ur phone and so is RA.Now ROM Manager is the app that allows you to download an X ROM and flash it onto ur phone or u can download the ROM of ur prefenrence to ur CPU and then put the zip on ur sdcard and go from there.

7. Unclm311

Unclm311 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I've been searching for. Really all I want is access to the wi-fi tether program and the ability to make my phone look as if nothing had been done to it (if I need to use my warranty or anything). Can the Rom manager make it unrooted again?