• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I got my Sprint Note 2!!! How about you.

no, I *think* i want a note 2 but i'm halfway through a sprint contract and I don't know if I want to continue to be on Sprint. Anyone know how the Sprint contract penalty is prorated? I still have 3 phones literally halfway through their contract. Verizon and AT&T plans have always put me off. I have no idea how much more data we'd use than we do now on our family plan if we actually had a better cell network with higher data speeds that we could also use as hotspots for tablets! We usually cap out at around 6 GB a month now. I'm not worried about getting the cheapest family plan for 4 phones but I can't figure out what strings come attached with either Ver or ATT's plans. ATT seems better? Voice and data simultaneously but restrictions on certains apps like facetime? Anyone else go through this similar situation and have a strong recommendation? I'm in the burbs of philadelphia and Ver and ATT have good coverage, Sprint has no LTE and their 4G is spotty at best and doesn't cover my neighborhood so I've been paying for over a year for a service I don't get! Enough is enough.

Upvote 0
Pioneer, thanks. That's $240 times 3! It ticks me off. They never developed their 4G in my neighborood and they still have no LTE in Philadelphia or its suburbs. What a crock! I therefore don't have faith I'll get LTE in my immediate area ever either. It's a tough call. Smartest thing is probably just to wait another year and drop them like a hot potato and if they surprise me by putting in LTE around here and not continue to nickel and dime us with more excuse fees then I could reconsider...I have just had enough of them and don't want to reward them anymore. Even at work where everyone with ATT and Ver has great coverage even deep into the guts of the building where I work, I can barely get decent Sprint coverage 15 feet away from the window facing towards I-95 and Philly where their tower is...

Upvote 0
Pioneer, thanks. That's $240 times 3! It ticks me off. They never developed their 4G in my neighborood and they still have no LTE in Philadelphia or its suburbs. What a crock! I therefore don't have faith I'll get LTE in my immediate area ever either. It's a tough call. Smartest thing is probably just to wait another year and drop them like a hot potato and if they surprise me by putting in LTE around here and not continue to nickel and dime us with more excuse fees then I could reconsider...I have just had enough of them and don't want to reward them anymore. Even at work where everyone with ATT and Ver has great coverage even deep into the guts of the building where I work, I can barely get decent Sprint coverage 15 feet away from the window facing towards I-95 and Philly where their tower is...

No problem. I've been with Sprint since '98. When I got my Evo, i started to pay a "premium data" fee for a 4G phone. I was promised that WiMax would be in my area within a year. Well, here it is 2 years later. WiMax is dead, LTE is being deployed mostly in southern cities, and there is no timetable for the Detroit area to even be started.

It was bad enough when they cancelled Premier, but I just looked at my bill. Since my discount only lowers the primary line, and not the secondary one on my bill anymore, if I switch to Verizon and choose the 4 gig data bucket, my bill will only go up $10 a month. My wife and I together only use between 1 and 1.5 gig a month on our heaviest months. $10 a month for 4G service where I live and work, and better service where we vacation.

See ya later Sprint. The Note2 for me and the GS III for the wife on Verizon is my Christmas present to myself. Hopefully they have some sort of Holiday discount promotion on service fees. That would be the icing on the cake, but I am leaving Sprint no matter what.

Upvote 0
Scandalex, you could barely be more wrong! My other 3 phones are currently iPhones and I'm sure the wife and kids would continue to use iPhones on any other carrier as well. :)

So I have to figure out if one of the carriers has found a way to nickel and dime against some Apple app or some similar situation. I have never paid attention to any details on any other carrier. We've been on Sprint since at least 98 or 99 but everyone we know who had them has left them so it feels like we're dinosaurs.

Upvote 0
No problem. I've been with Sprint since '98. When I got my Evo, i started to pay a "premium data" fee for a 4G phone. I was promised that WiMax would be in my area within a year. Well, here it is 2 years later. WiMax is dead, LTE is being deployed mostly in southern cities, and there is no timetable for the Detroit area to even be started.

It was bad enough when they cancelled Premier, but I just looked at my bill. Since my discount only lowers the primary line, and not the secondary one on my bill anymore, if I switch to Verizon and choose the 4 gig data bucket, my bill will only go up $10 a month. My wife and I together only use between 1 and 1.5 gig a month on our heaviest months. $10 a month for 4G service where I live and work, and better service where we vacation.

See ya later Sprint. The Note2 for me and the GS III for the wife on Verizon is my Christmas present to myself. Hopefully they have some sort of Holiday discount promotion on service fees. That would be the icing on the cake, but I am leaving Sprint no matter what.

Ha, we've had parallel paths and my wife is from West Bloomfield, MI. I got an HTC Evo two years ago and as of this month no longer on contract but the wife and kids got iPhones 4s a year ago so we have another year to go there. Yep, they dropped the premier from me and they dropped the company discount we used to have to half the phones like they sort of did to you too. So yeah, we're paying a lot more for 'less' so the "I can put with Sprint" mentality has finally gone bye bye. I'm pretty sure we get a company discount with ATT and Ver too which is probably as good as the Sprint one is now, if not better, so the motivation to stay is completely gone. Why get a note 2 on Sprint and pay their prices if you still are basically stuck on a 3G when not using WiFi? I've finally seen the light now that Sprint's dropped WiMax without putting in LTE around here. Crazy.

Upvote 0
Scandalex, you could barely be more wrong! My other 3 phones are currently iPhones and I'm sure the wife and kids would continue to use iPhones on any other carrier as well. :)

So I have to figure out if one of the carriers has found a way to nickel and dime against some Apple app or some similar situation. I have never paid attention to any details on any other carrier. We've been on Sprint since at least 98 or 99 but everyone we know who had them has left them so it feels like we're dinosaurs.

I'm wrong? :( No phone other than wanting the Note 2 was mentioned in your post which is why I had not assumed the other phones were iPhones which is also why I said what I said regarding FaceTime.

Upvote 0
lol Sorry about that, but don't feel bad. I still haven't bought mine. Might this afternoon if I get a chance.

As for multiview- that really pisses me off. Come on Samsung wth.
No Sim, no multiview and no screen recorder. Must xda do all the work for you. lol

TS

Are these disabilities for ALL USA versions or just specific carrier versions? i.e, Tmo has Sims vs Sprint's no SIM. And Tmo has (supposedly) latent LTE.

Given these differences from carrier to carrier, is it the same for Multi Window? Without these game-changer features, does this make the Note 2 simply a larger S3 (as the salesman at the Sprint store tried to tell me that it is)

Upvote 0
Are these disabilities for ALL USA versions or just specific carrier versions? i.e, Tmo has Sims vs Sprint's no SIM. And Tmo has (supposedly) latent LTE.

Given these differences from carrier to carrier, is it the same for Multi Window? Without these game-changer features, does this make the Note 2 simply a larger S3 (as the salesman at the Sprint store tried to tell me that it is)

Not at all! The S-Pen features and the screen size sell this phone.

Multi-windows is not on any US variant right now.

Upvote 0

What are the known phone function differences going to be between the different US carriers and between the US phone and the European market?

Why would any US phone not have multi-windows?

When I was testing the phone in the sprint store, I could not get it to do some of the things I had previously seen in the online demos but i had no idea if that was because I could not remember how to do some of the settings or if the phone was limitied as compared to the videos.

Upvote 0

Thanks for responding Ren! I like the S-Pen features certainly. But I am disappointed that the multi-windows feature is missing. Some of the international versions didn't get this feature in the initial round of phones released but did receive multi-windows in the next issue of firmware.

It has been breathed that the GS3 will get multi-windows in Samsung's Android 4.1.2 version. I cannot believe that Sammy would give this feature to the S3 and not to the GN2 which first advertised it. So, the belief would be that when one device gets it, so will the other. I certainly hope so or there will be a rumble in the jungle, I'm sure. :D

Upvote 0
Was first at 9am, been setting my phone up how I like it! Didn't sign new contract paid $530. Got this stuff thrown in cause I'm special!!!!

qajybyby.jpg

$530? That's it? I've been to two Sprint Stores, neither had stock, and both were talking 699 and up. Then on top of that offered me $125 for my SGS3. Insults I tell you.

One thing Android will likely never be able to compete with Apple.

I refuse to sign another contract, so I'll either break down and buy one for some stupid amount, or find one on craigslist.

Upvote 0
One thing Android will likely never be able to compete with Apple.

I don't understand this statement. Apple has in the past enjoyed gr8 loyalty (Especially in the Steve Jobs era) and had a serious PR machine. But now, in the U.S. at least, there are more Androids in the hands of end-users than apple. Android Outsells Apple's IPhone in the U.S., Gartner Says - Bloomberg

And with the current crop of iFail (the meh 5 and the practically ignored mini) Android will wipe up the rest of the fail from the floor with GN2 (There are reports of defectors from apple to the GN2 who are posting about it online). Not to mention that the current shakeup over there makes one wonder how serious the fail is: Apple stock falls on exec shakeup, iPad mini reviews - Oct. 31, 2012

So, unless you're talking about the Apple brand of customer service or some such, I don't get your statement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones