• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I got myself into trouble :( help!

user88

Dec 18, 2010
I was doing so well...I rooted and successfully installed fresh evo 3.5.0.1. Then I wanted the stock lockscreen so I downloaded it from fresh updater but it didn't work so I thought I would just flash the zip like I flashed the rom...apparently that wasn't good. Upon reboot it just keeps looping the htc screen Next I thought just re-flashing the fresh rom would clear it out, but apparently that didn't work either as it says:

Writing boot.img
asset failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img" , "boot")
E:Error in/sdcard/fresh-evo-3.5.0.1.zip
(Status 7)

Installation aborted

Now my phone is stuck! Help! Thank you!!!!!!!

Reactions: user88
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Try this, it may work for you.

[ROM] 12/31/10 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One - xda-developers

-Copy the PC36IMG.zip to the root of your SD Card
-Power off your phone
-While holding the VOLUME DOWN button, power on your phone into bootloader
-The phone will scan for a PC36IMG.zip
-Once prompted, install the update and reboot

This totally worked THANK YOU!!!! Android Central has some awesome people on it!

Question though: What exactly did I just do? Can I now delete the PC36IMG.ZIP from the root of my SD and flash other roms as normal?

Upvote 0
This totally worked THANK YOU!!!! Android Central has some awesome people on it!

Question though: What exactly did I just do? Can I now delete the PC36IMG.ZIP from the root of my SD and flash other roms as normal?

1) What you just did was flash an all-in-one update from the bootloader since you apparently don't have a working recovery. You should most definitely either delete the PC36IMG.zip or rename it. You don't want to accidentally flash it again if you go back to the bootloader. It will wipe out everything.

2) While this all-in-one update will update your radios if they are older versions, and will flash that particular rom, I haven't been able to confirm if it does anything to recovery. That being said, you might have a problem with recovery if you go and flash something else. It would seem that was your problem before. What version of Clockwork did/do you have and how old is your phone? The newer version of Clockwork is known to have some bugs, especially with older phones, it seems. Basically, what I'm saying is that if you go flash something from recovery now, you might end up in the same situation again until we figure out what happened the first time.

Upvote 0

You just flashed a rooted, pretty much stock ROM to get you "up and running". I'm pretty sure you can delete the zip file from your sd card if you choose to, and yes, you can flash other ROM's normally now.

Upvote 0
1) What you just did was flash an all-in-one update from the bootloader since you apparently don't have a working recovery. You should most definitely either delete the PC36IMG.zip or rename it. You don't want to accidentally flash it again if you go back to the bootloader. It will wipe out everything.

2) While this all-in-one update will update your radios if they are older versions, and will flash that particular rom, I haven't been able to confirm if it does anything to recovery. That being said, you might have a problem with recovery if you go and flash something else. It would seem that was your problem before. What version of Clockwork did/do you have and how old is your phone? The newer version of Clockwork is known to have some bugs, especially with older phones, it seems. Basically, what I'm saying is that if you go flash something from recovery now, you might end up in the same situation again until we figure out what happened the first time.

Beat me to it lol and I learned something new! :D

Upvote 0

Thank you for your explanation! Here's what I did: After flashing the Sprint Lovers PC36IMG.zip I went into rom manager and changed from Amon RA back to clockwork. Once that happened, I used clockwork to recover from a backup I did directly after I rooted using rom manager BUT when I did this it showed:

Restoring .android_secure...
E:can't give path "/sdcard/,android_secure" to format_volume
Error while formatting /sdcard/.android_secure!

However, once I rebooted the device it loaded up normally into my backup, even though it gave me an error when I was restoring. Right now everything seems to be working normally, and i'm still rooted. So it seems i'm back to where I was right after I rooted. Like I said everything seems to work fine, but do you know if that error will give me any problems? Should I just unroot and start all over or just go with it until I find a problem?

Upvote 0
I rooted my brand new EVO which was updated with all new software, etc. I used the unrevoked method and flashed the pc3img with no problems. However, I cant load any ROMS without getting errors. My backups are gone as I had an issue with clockworkmod. I flashed to RA 1,8 and tried to do a backup and still a no go. So I decided to just try and flash the RUU Sprint ROM V 1.90 release. It started and said it would take about 10 minutes. So after about 4 minutes I get an error message saying it cant connect via USB. I ended up flashing pc3img back to my phone and its working but Im stuck with no backup and cant flash any other ROMs, which sucks. I never had a problem flashing ROMs to my Heor, but this EVO I cant get it right. Anyone know anything I can do to fix this? I would be happy to go back to stock and try the new revoked one step, which I had problems doing that as well! HELP ME PLEASE!

Upvote 0
Thank you for your explanation! Here's what I did: After flashing the Sprint Lovers PC36IMG.zip I went into rom manager and changed from Amon RA back to clockwork. Once that happened, I used clockwork to recover from a backup I did directly after I rooted using rom manager BUT when I did this it showed:

Restoring .android_secure...
E:can't give path "/sdcard/,android_secure" to format_volume
Error while formatting /sdcard/.android_secure!

However, once I rebooted the device it loaded up normally into my backup, even though it gave me an error when I was restoring. Right now everything seems to be working normally, and i'm still rooted. So it seems i'm back to where I was right after I rooted. Like I said everything seems to work fine, but do you know if that error will give me any problems? Should I just unroot and start all over or just go with it until I find a problem?

I haven't used clockwork in a while, but I would guess it does that towards the end. /sdcard/.android_secure is used for installing applications. The only issues I would look out for would be a) apps you had moved to the sd card, if any, and b) installing apps from the market. Verify those two things, and you should be fine.

One more thing, though, did you flash the same version of clockwork that you had before, and what version is that? That might explain some errors if it's a different version.

Upvote 0
I rooted my brand new EVO which was updated with all new software, etc. I used the unrevoked method and flashed the pc3img with no problems. However, I cant load any ROMS without getting errors. My backups are gone as I had an issue with clockworkmod. I flashed to RA 1,8 and tried to do a backup and still a no go. So I decided to just try and flash the RUU Sprint ROM V 1.90 release. It started and said it would take about 10 minutes. So after about 4 minutes I get an error message saying it cant connect via USB. I ended up flashing pc3img back to my phone and its working but Im stuck with no backup and cant flash any other ROMs, which sucks. I never had a problem flashing ROMs to my Heor, but this EVO I cant get it right. Anyone know anything I can do to fix this? I would be happy to go back to stock and try the new revoked one step, which I had problems doing that as well! HELP ME PLEASE!

So, let me get this straight, right now you have s-off, still (Flashing an ruu isn't a good idea with s-off from unrevoked) and you successfully flashed Sprint lovers via the PC36IMG? That could understandably leave you without a recovery. Is that a good description of where you are now? If so, you can get recovery back from ROM manager, but before you do that, open a terminal emulator, and type cat /proc/mtd. If your erase size is 20000, try flashing RA again from ROM manager. If it's 40000, you can either flash the latest Clockwork (3.0.0.4, now I think, or, if you want RA, I can show you where to get it. Let's take one thing at a time, though). You can also try the latest Clockwork if your erase size is 20000 (an older phone), as it may work now. I know some where having issues before. I haven't heard much since it got the most recent update.

Upvote 0
Right now I am at S-OFF. After I tried the stock sprint RUU with no success, I went back and installed unrevoked S-ON and reflashed the pc3img ROM to get me going again. Right now I have no backup at all because everytime I try to do a backup it will just reboot and loop at the HTV EVO 4g screen. Anyway, right now I am rooted with the sprint lovers ROM and its running good, but I do want to go to fresh.........

The emulator says 00040000 for everything under erase size. I have RA 1.8 (I THINK) right now. Do you suggest the new clockwork?? Also, like I said, my Evo is the 3.70....0004......I think the last time I went through the HBOOT it now reads 2.02, and I am thinking it used to read 2.10. Does that really matter??? I am gonna see what you say before I try anything at this point.

Upvote 0
Ok, let's get some clarification:

hboot version:
s-off or s-on:

Where did you get RA from? If you got 1.80 from ROM manager, that won't work for you. I did, however, just find out that RA has been updated to 2.1.1, which should work for everyone, from what I understand. As far as clockwork is concerned, 2.5.0.1 won't work for you, and the various releases of 3.0 are buggy. From what I've gathered, it doesn't support flashing everything right now. I'm still reading up on it. My advise - pending the answers to my questions, my advise would be to flash RA recovery 2.1.1 from ROM manager.

EDIT: haha, you beat me to it. Ok, just one last thing - what is your hboot version? I would still suggest flashing the latest RA recovery, and trying that out. It has some cool new features, too (in case you've ever used RA much).

Upvote 0
You got RA from ROM manager? You have a newer phone, so that won't work. Open ROM manager, and you should now have the option to flash RA recovery 2.1.1. Clockwork 2.5.0.1 won't work for you just like RA 1.8.0 won't. The new Clockwork is having some issues (I won't go into it), so try the new RA 2.1.1. Once you've flashed that, try to flash something from recovery. But make a nandroid backup, first.

Upvote 0
No, ROM manager doesn't work with RA. The recovery you have will not work with your phone. Only CW 3.0.x.x, which is broken for various reasons, and RA 2.1.1 will work for you. Flash 2.1.1 from ROM manager, reboot into recovery, then make a nandroid backup from there. Let me know if that doesn't work.

One last thing, was your phone 3.70 when you got it or did you install that OTA before rooting? I ask because I'm a little confused as to how you could have 2.02 hboot if you had 2.10 before. I'm thinking people need to be really careful flashing that sprint lovers rom.

Upvote 0
No, ROM manager doesn't work with RA. The recovery you have will not work with your phone. Only CW 3.0.x.x, which is broken for various reasons, and RA 2.1.1 will work for you. Flash 2.1.1 from ROM manager, reboot into recovery, then make a nandroid backup from there. Let me know if that doesn't work.

One last thing, was your phone 3.70 when you got it or did you install that OTA before rooting? I ask because I'm a little confused as to how you could have 2.02 hboot if you had 2.10 before. I'm thinking people need to be really careful flashing that sprint lovers rom.

So Amon RA 2.1.1 is available to flash through ROM Manager now?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones