• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I HAAAAAAAAVE THE ROOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! But wifi tether not working.!!!

cuban11182

Android Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2010
Florida
Thanks to everyone especially mejdam for the 10 Min root video, and to nickzaw for the sd card method, and to Aaron1017 for giving me the confidence to try it.

I felt like this video here (it's 22 seconds in): YouTube - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Now for the wifi, I did change out my card from my 2gb to my 16gb, I tried to copy and paste the wifi tether folder from teh 2 gb to 16gb, but no dice. Now when I try it with the 2 GB card it works. How do I get it to work on the 16gb card? I read something about pushing it, but don't know how to!

The computer with windows 7 doesn't work, but the ipod touch does, any ideas there?

Thanks to everyone especially mejdam for the 10 Min root video, and to nickzaw for the sd card method, and to Aaron1017 for giving me the confidence to try it.

I felt like this video here (it's 22 seconds in): YouTube - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Now for the wifi, I did change out my card from my 2gb to my 16gb, I tried to copy and paste the wifi tether folder from teh 2 gb to 16gb, but no dice. Now when I try it with the 2 GB card it works. How do I get it to work on the 16gb card? I read something about pushing it, but don't know how to!

The computer with windows 7 doesn't work, but the ipod touch does, any ideas there?

easiest thing to do is just install wifi tether from the market.

Reactions: cuban11182
Upvote 0
have you tried attempting to connect with another computer maybe? now on my phone the little shield never pops up and i tether fine, but on my wifes it always pops up so i don't know if that matters. also it took several minutes for our hp laptop to see the androidtether for some reason, maybe you didn't wait long enough??

Upvote 0
I tried it on both my laptop, mac and ipod touch, haven't tried the wife's yet. I did notice that my 16gb card was a fat32 and the 2gb was a fat, so I am copying it over now and then I'll reformat, and paste everything back on.

It won't allow me to reformat to fat, just fat32 (i would think because of size)

Upvote 0
OK got it working:

created folder called android.tether, placed both bin and apk in there.

I did this previously, but whatever i did now it worked!

Wasn't working on laptop, but it had a static ip, so switched that back to dhcp and good to go. Thanks for the help.

i was just assuming you had the android.tether folder, glad you got it working

Upvote 0
OK got it working:

created folder called android.tether, placed both bin and apk in there.

I did this previously, but whatever i did now it worked!

Wasn't working on laptop, but it had a static ip, so switched that back to dhcp and good to go. Thanks for the help.
Do you have to have the apk in the folder? I cannot figure out how to get it to work on my macbook, however it does work on my win7 laptop. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones