• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I had to change carriers

I have been with BOOST for almost 5 years. I have dealt with not having service out at my families home all this time. My parents and sisters are on SPRINT and my sister has a box from SPRINT that hooks to the internet and keeps her from the 'roaming' mode, it's some sort of signal booster. But it didn't help any of my BOOST phones at all, no service at all for me out there.
My room mate is with VERIZON and had an old DROID X that I activated on PagePLUS, which allows me to have service pretty much where ever I go. I opted for the $39.99 plan.
I am sorry I had to change as I have been pretty much happy with BOOST.
I now have a WARP that will sit and collect dust. I shall still read the forum here as I remain interested although I have not contributed, I was just a WARP user and I really liked my WARP

Reactions: Hless
you just solved all my problems! :) I recently bought a samsung transform ultra through boost moble, while I love, love, love the phone- the reception in my house is horrible!! I never heard of pageplus until today, and am going to return my cell to get a verizon cell, then switch to pageplus. whoOoo! lol

Upvote 0
Hey tube517. Elaborate on this TMobile switch with emphasis on the cheaper deal. I'm paying $35 a month how can I pay less and still get unlimited data?

I haven't been with Boost that long to get $35 a month. With TMobile, though, I can pay $30/month/100 mins talk/unlimited text/"unlimited data" (4g speeds up to 5 GB). So far, 1/2 way through my month, I haven't even used a 1/2 gig of data. I use groove ip/google voice or Talkatone/GV to get free minutes (Talkatone is free but the voice quality is shaky).
Speeds with Tmobile are 3.5 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up at my house. Boost speeds were 50 kbps (yes 50 kbps) down/40 kbps up at my house. The change was a no brainer. I also tested various points in the city and T-Mobile is alot faster than Boost's 3G. A 4G phone on Boost would be alot of money for me and Wimax doesn't cover the entire city.

With that said, my wife still has her Evo Shift on Boost, so I'm still a Boost customer.

Upvote 0
Do those apps work over 3G/4G...or just wifi?

Talkatone (free) - works over 3G/4G/Wifi

Groove IP Lite (free) - Wifi only

Groove IP ($4.99) - 3g/4g/Wifi

Talkatone allows you to text and attach pics. I'm not impressed with Talkatone's reception. Echo on the other person's phone (wifi) and not a clear reception (wifi).

I may have to fork out the $5 for GrooveIP. It's very clear on wifi

Reactions: ZingBot
Upvote 0
Back when I went prepaid 7 months ago I almost went with the TMo $30 plan but I didn't really know if these apps were viable alternatives for voice. The reviews for GrooveIP say a lot of people have issues with call quality. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with this plan and BYOD. A sim is only $.99 on the TMo website and my area has HSPA+ 42.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones