I hate Sense UI...Will 2.2 give me an option?Support

Last Updated:

1. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I really hate Sense UI. I had a Motorola Droid with stock Android and loved it. Now have the Incredible w/ Sense and I have no problem with the phone, I just hate Sense and it kind takes away from the user experience. I'm really debating on jumping ship to the Droid X for the simple fact that I'm stuck with Sense and HTC has not given us the option to turn it off, like they have in the past. Does anyone know if 2.2 will allow us the option? If not I'm done with HTC. I'd be like HP manufacturing computers with a crap UI over the top of Windows and not allow u to switch to a stock windows UI.

Advertisement
  2. 2k2s2k

2k2s2k Well-Known Member

I haven't found the option to turn it off in the settings on the leaked OTA version of Froyo. You could always use launcher pro or adw and make them your default home. This doesn't get of Sense completely but it's what I was using being being rooted.

3. facedown41

facedown41 Member

Yea just switch to LauncherPro or ADW Launcher. Both are very good in their own ways, test them out for yourself and see which you like best. Sense will still turn on in the background but you can just go to your task manager and kill it usually, but you can set your phone to default to one of those other launchers so you'll never have to see sense load again.

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Why do you hate Sense? Just curious.

5. Heelfan71

Heelfan71 Well-Known Member

I don't like the Dock Bar, Message threads (texting) and the Dialer for starters. I do like their widgets, just wish they had more sizes to choose from for some of them.

6. JuicyJones

I guess its just because I'm used to Stock and Stock seems to be faster than Sense to me. I don't really have a need for HTC 'special' widgets. I'll use beautiful widgets for my clock & Pure Grid Calendar for my Calendar.

Last night I installed Launcher Pro and blocked the startup of the Sense Launcher so that I'm not running 2 launchers on top of each other. I definitely like this better but to me I don't believe I should HAVE to do this. A stock option should be included.

7. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

8. JuicyJones

9. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Why did you buy a phone with sense if you hated it, that was smart. Find an android phone you like.

10. JuicyJones

I figured u can disable it, this was the first phone HTC did this with..

11. winbricks

winbricks Member

i'm not a fan of sense either.. but i'm using adw.launcher and handcent so I rarely have to deal with it.

12. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Ive hear rumors about the evo on 2.2 being able to disable sense, but thats a rumor.

13. friend088

friend088 Well-Known Member

I like Sense. It's better than Motorola's UI IMO.

14. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

If you go to the X, have fun with Moto Blur. I don't mind Sense, but Moto Blur is crap.

15. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Most of you guys saying Moto Blur is crap don't know what you're talking about. It's possible you're confusing the old Moto Blur with the one on the Droid X, they are completely different.

The Droid X version of Moto Blur is an order of magnitude closer to vanilla Android than HTC Sense is. The Droid X version of Blur is pretty much just a few changed icons/buttons(in appearance only) and a set of widgets. Disable all of the widgets and your phone is nearly identical to vanilla Android with a very tiny amount of differences.

Blur is nowhere near the complete UI change that HTC Sense is. It doesn't force you to use different and oftentimes inferior versions of stuff that comes stock with Android. Examples being: Sense's built in text messaging program is inferior to the stock Android one(just scrolling up and down a conversation is laggy as heck), the stock calendar(trying to set the time for an appointment and I have to spin a wheel to enter a time in, you can't type it in) and media player are worse than vanilla Android's(Setting up playlists is way too cumbersome on HTC), the HTC Sense photo gallery is worse than stock Android's(Why did they take out Picasa Web Album Sync?), the HTC modified web browser is worse as well(You have to go through a ton of simple actions just to get the browser back to the home page and be able to exit the browser with the back button after a long period of browsing).

I had an Incredible for nearly a month before I moved over to the X. While there are a few things I miss from Sense, it is completely false to say Sense is just plain better, there are a LOT of things that Sense does worse.

16. 8andsand

8andsand Well-Known Member

Root your phone and install CyanogenMod-6. Its vanilla 2.2. I love it. I would never go back to sense after using vanilla.

17. freddyttt

freddyttt Well-Known Member

Thats why most users of the X use LP or ADW ....

fortesquieu likes this.
  18. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member

I have a question.

Why would anyone buy a phone with Sense if they hate it so?

19. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Well, at the time of release, the only other options for Verizon users were an outdated phone that also had sense, and a phone with an unusable keyboard. I personally don't hate sense, but I would have bought a senseless Incredible over the Sense UI Incredible if it were an option.

That said, I do really prefer the way sense handles contacts, I just don't like the launcher.

20. JuicyJones

I switched to Launcher Pro last night and It gave me my fix for stock android, just for the hell of it I switched back just now and I realize how much faster Sense is than Launcher Pro. Looks like I'm using Sense for now

21. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member

I dunno. I like the Sense launcher. Wish the two side buttons were configurable, but other than that...

Maybe its because I spent so long with vanilla Android before the Dinc.

22. SecretSexyNinja

SecretSexyNinja Well-Known Member

Is it THE real 2.2 for the droid incredible or should I wait for 2.2 to release on the Dinc and another cyanogenmod?

23. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

I haven't put it through its paces, but most things seemed to be working pretty smoothly - I believe there is an issue with the camcorder, but I've only tried (and had it break) on cm5. Still a RC though, so if you aren't with an occasional glitch or patch, then think twice about doing anything but the official release. That said - if you are comfortable flashing (and once you try it, it's so easy...), do a quick backup of your current stuff and throw it on. If you don't like, it only takes a few minutes to revert back to stock.

24. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Me too, I don't care for the add to homescreen option to the right of phone. . .

25. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

Now that Froyo is out does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether or not Sense can be turned off or disabled?