• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I hate the Marshmallow update. Can I downgrade?

A

Android Question

I downloaded the update a couple of days ago and immediately regretted it. I know it's still a new update and there's probably not a lot of info on how to downgrade yet, but if anyone knows can you please let me know. I want my Lollipop system back.

I'm impressed, since Marshmallow hasn't officially been released yet. That's why I assumed a Nexus, since there are preview images for several of those, but I didn't expect any manufacturer would have that for their own phones before the official release. Especially since this isn't a flagship device either.

Is this an official LG update? If so I hope someone more familiar with LG devices reads this soon, as I don't know much about them.

Upvote 0
I mean, as far as any of the layout and everything I've seen about the Marshmallow update, this is what the update is. My phone didn't get an updated Lollipop and was going straight to the Marshmallow update. But I could be wrong. I believe it is an official update? I can't say I'm positive, but it would seem to be.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm not positive if this will work on your device but try entering this code into your dialer:

*#*#244773825625#*#*

If it outputs an info screen to include version info and more, screenshot it and post. There used to be no fear of downgrading on LG, but in the G4 at minimum, antirollback has been introduced, and downgrading can result in a bricked device. Sounds like your device is also quite new so better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0
Ok, it was worth a shot. You may not be affected by antirollback. I was just wanting to be extra conservative now that LG has been known to implement it.

There may be some accounts of successful firmware flashing online. If so, it is done with a tot file for AT&T using LG Flash Tools. I'm unsure if a tot is available for your device, they must be leaked. I'll look around later when I have more time and post instructs if one is located.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
I can't locate a publicly posted tot for your device. It is available on the black market though, search "LG G vista D631 tot" if you're interested. Cost is $12 and its 4.4.2 so I assume that was the launch firmware circa July 2014. As long as antirollback was not implemented, you could go backward though you'll consistently be presented with update nag messages unless you are rooted and have disabled the ota updated process to thwart that.

Also keep in mind that with some newer LG's, you can only refuse the update for so long before it'll push through and install anyway.

Upvote 0
@iowabowtech paying for a tot/kdz is a bit overboard. Have you tried the IMEI method?

Heh, if everyone felt that way we wouldn't have any means to reflash these devices. He's on ATT, there are no kdz's because they don't use them. A tot is his only choice to revert. So we either find one online which somebody else has purchased and shared with all, or buy one and be the guy to share with all.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
Nope I was mistaken. I don't have 6.0, my apologies. I knew that the 6.0 looked like what happened to my phone that I didn't even think that it was anything different. It's 5.0.2, but that doesn't stop the fact that I hate it and I would like to change it. But yes, I do apologize for saying I had the 6.0. My fault.

Quick question: Are you referring to the app drawer now being vertical, and other such changes to the launcher? Or do you mean that the entire system (including the navigation bar) is different?

If the former, then that's because of an update to the Google app, not the Android system itself.

Reactions: devilschild26
Upvote 0
Hi Em,

As far as I know, Android 6.0 starts rolling out Oct 5, at least where Canada is concerned. This was confirmed by Telus, one of Canada's mobile carriers. Later this month though, Google will be hosting an event where it's expected they'll unveil their new Nexus devices (manufactured by LG and Huawei) and possibly go into more detail with Marshmallow.

As for downgrading to a previous Android version, the only way that is possible is to root the device and look up the ROM version you were running previously and do a manual flash. Sorry man. :(

Upvote 0
As for downgrading to a previous Android version, the only way that is possible is to root the device and look up the ROM version you were running previously and do a manual flash. Sorry man. :(

I think downgrading isn't necessary in this case. If the phone already had Lollipop, as the OP said, then he/she still has it (because nobody has gotten an OTA update of Marshmallow), and then the only real changes they could be referring to are changes to the Google Now Launcher, which happened after the latest Google App update.

So it seems to me that the only way to roll those back is to find an older APK without those changes. But I don't know, because I've never tried something like that myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones