• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I Hate You Froyo 2.2

On Swypes forum page they have addressed the issue with Froyo. They say to change input back to original keyboard and then back to Swype again. They say they're not sure as to the problem but seems to only happen when you restart your phone.
I noticed that with Froyo the facebook app was set to auto update and immediately after Froyo booted up it updated. I don't know about any one else but the facebook update is a battery killer on my phone. Uninstalled update and unchecked auto update, and now my battery life is back to normal.

Upvote 0
I just happened to install WidgetLocker the same morning I got Froyo. I wonder if my sluggishness is from Froyo or WidgetLocker? I installed it to get a different lock screen, and I love that the animation for weather come back even though I'm using the Beautiful Small Weather Widget for my clock.

Wonder if a reset will fix it, but it seems like a ton of work to reinstall and put everything back to the way it is.

Upvote 0
sigh. yet again, just like with the Eris, everybody here is preaching factory reset. i did a factory reset too, and it made no difference whatsoever.

No one here is "preaching" anything. Just throwing out here what has worked for each of us individually. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, but if here is an off chance that it might work for someone, I will state my experience everytime. Someone might benefit from it, what kind of forum would this be if no one offered up suggestion.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Factory reset:

Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Hold the Power button until the display turns on
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button to select
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

I thought #228 or #288 (whatever) was a factory reset?

Upvote 0
I know you can leave the sd card alone, I'm talking about the other memory - emmc, the internal extra memory. I store my photos and music there to leave room on the sd card for videos.
Use a file explorer like astro to move them to sd card or save on computer. Factory reset erases ALL phone data
I thought #228 or #288 (whatever) was a factory reset?
No it resets your roaming capabilities, supposed to help get better call quality. Plus it's used to re-activate your line
(will someone else chime in on this, not 100% sure i'm right)

Upvote 0
I think I like everything about Froyo, but my battery life has taken a beating even after a factory reset. I can't seem to figure out the problem, but something is running as my uptime climbs even when the phone is locked/sleeping, which never happened with 2.1 (same apps).

Anyone know the best/easiest/most reliable way of deterrmining what app is runnng?

I use systempanel lite - it showed me apps that wouldn't sleep so I killed them and battery life is better

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
How do you set the plugins to "On-Demand"? Is it part of 2.2, or is that option available in 2.1, because I haven't found it?

1) Launch the stock internet browser
2) Hit the "menu" button on the bottom of the phone to bring up options
3) Choose "more"
4) Scroll down and choose "settings"
5) Scroll all the way down, should be 3rd option up from the bottom

Good Luck!

Oh BTW the Flash update works like a charm and appears to be the update that won't install from AppBrain.

Upvote 0
I also noticed that it took restarting my phone a couple of times before everything leveled out.
Agree. I didn't do the factory reset but I did restart the phone twice and it got the kinks out and works OK now.
Froyo hasn't wowed me for all its hype but no major issues. I have noticed my browser is little faster, but charging is much slower. Didn't like how Verizon snuck in VZ Navigator on the sly.
Anyone tell me how to move apps to the card? Couldn't find it in app management settings.
Also, is factory reset really necessary? Just a pain to lose my text msgs and app data

Upvote 0
OK, A couple of clarifications if you'll permit me people:

1. *228 is for OTA programming (NOT OS updates so don't bother :p)

Option 1 is for activating your phone. During this process your roaming capabilities will also be updated.

Option 2 which should be performed periodically, specifically updates your roaming capabilities including your PRL or Preferred Roaming List.

2. Not all apps can be moved to the SD card. There are apps that claim to allow you to move all other apps to SD, but I have not tried them.
Essentially, you go into:
Setting -> Applications -> Manage Applications. You will see 4 tabs, Downloads, Running, All and On SD Card.
Choose ALL and then select an app. If it is capable of being moved to the SD card, that option will be "clickable" otherwise it will be grayed out.

3. 2.2 Handles apps much differently and much more efficiently than 2.1. You cannot simply close apps as you could in 2.1. This is NOT necessary. If you look at the resource utilization of Apps like Navigator, CityID, etc, they are consuming zero resources.

Ex. My phone has an uptime of 10 hours right now, Skype has a total CPU time of 0s and an Average Consumption of 0.0% and it started when my phone booted.

You do not need to worry about this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones