I have 2.1 OTA - Can I root?

Last Updated:

1. Carreno

Carreno Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I recently installed the 2.1 OTA. Its nice, but not as fast as I would like it to be. I want to root so I may take advantage of overclocking.

I've searched the forums and have come across instructions on rooting from 1.5 to 2.1 - But nothing about rooting if I have the 2.1 OTA.

There are those who say its possible, and those who say it is not.

Whats the truth? And where are some good instructions? And whats a killer rom to use?

Thanks all!

Advertisement
  2. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

There is actually a thread about this on the first couple of pages. http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/78619-went-1-5-ota-you-can-still-root-not-leakers.html

You can root, so go for it.

3. char561

char561 Well-Known Member

Yes you can root.

4. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member

yup, you can root, i did from the OTA also.

5. Mechmess

Mechmess Member

This really confuses me.... I thought that its been proven that the OTA and v3 are the same image? Wouldn't this mean that it is then possible to root from 2.1v3?? Im getting so jealous of the people who did not leak... sigh... Why must I be on the cutting edge!?

6. char561

char561 Well-Known Member

the actual rom and software are the same, the bootloader however is different and a newer version thus making it so you cant install the rooted image

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

when you flashed the PB00IMG.zip did you still have 2.1 or did it roll you back to 1.5? I just downloaded from the root guide page and flashed the zip from step one of the process. I still have 2.1, terminal emulator says gives me a # sign, but I'm having problems with recovery image. Rom Manager says its having permission issues, and I can't get adb to work either to flash aman's img. I'm stuck it seems.

8. jreed2560

when you flashed the PB00IMG.zip did you still have 2.1 or did it roll you back to 1.5? I just downloaded from the root guide page and flashed the zip from step one of the process. I still have 2.1, terminal emulator says gives me a # sign, but I'm having problems with recovery image. Rom Manager says its having permission issues, and I can't get adb to work either to flash aman's img. I'm stuck it seems.

9. jreed2560

Every time I enter an adb command, it says adb not found. If anybody could please give me some things to check to ensure I'm set up.