I have a 1st gen Iphone, what to do with it?

What should I do with my old Iphone 2g?

1. Sell it as is with the broken screen

20.0%
  2. Fix the screen and sell it for more $$

6.7%
  3. Use it as a paperweight

20.0%
  4. Throw it in the ocean

13.3%
  5. Microwave it to see if it will explode

53.3%
  1. poriggity

poriggity Well-Known Member

So, I was digging through some drawers last night, and found my ancient Iphone. It's an original 2g 8gb iphone. I dropped in a few years ago and shattered the glass. I also managed to lock up the software on it. Well, after some tinkering, I managed to get the apple software reloaded onto the phone, so it is now functioning, but with a broken screen. What would you do with this? I am contemplating finding somewhere on the net that the hard core apple geeks hang out, and seeing if one of them is interested in buying it for nostalgia sake... Heck, I'd even spend the money to fix the screen if I thought it would bring in enough money to cover my fixing cost. What say the AF crew?

Advertisement
    :
  2. nieltab

nieltab Well-Known Member

I think fixing it would cost too much. Try selling it as it is, there are always people willing to buy broken electronica. they may have the recourses to fix it, but you would have to buy an expensive new screen.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I mean selling it is always an option, never know who might buy the thing...otherwise blowing up would be pretty cool lol, i usually keep all my old hardware and tech though :)
  4. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

This. I've heard that old Apple computers, like those rounded, colored ones from 20 years ago, go for big money.
  5. 211275

211275 Well-Known Member

Paperweight. It's perfect size and weight for one :p
  6. DROZ

DROZ Well-Known Member

If you have one of those ipod docks, I would keep it as a music player for a place that otherwise wouldn't play music
  7. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I would fix it. You never know, maybe it'll become an antique and you can go on a show like Pawnstars in 50 years. :D
  8. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

If it is cheap enough, fix the screen....Make sure it is in working order.....Then toss it in a drawer and forget about it for ten years.....Hope in ten years it is worth a lot more than it is today (if not, you lost nothing but he screen repair cost).
  9. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Thread moved to our Lounge area. :)
  10. poriggity

I would do that, and I do have a dock for it.. But my problem is this.. I don't have a SIM, and the phone is not activated. The only thing it will let me do is make "emergency" calls. I'm off to look at how to make it an ipod....

Scott
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It should activate with iTunes, might need to put a SIM in it though. But it wont need the SIM to use it as an iPod Touch, after activating it.
  12. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

Knowing me, it'd go back in a drawer where I'd forget about it again.
  13. miamitech37

miamitech37 Member

Don't need to activate to use as ipod.
  14. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

What xmr said. In sure its going to be an antique.
  15. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

If it's an older iPhone and it's been reset, it's probably just showing something like this...
    [​IMG]
    ...and won't do anything else.

I'm pretty sure it has to have a SIM in it to "activate" it with iTunes. Once it's activated, then it will function just like an iPod without the SIM.
  16. poriggity

Yep, I put an old sim in it and activated it.. it works as it should, but I'm not sure I need it, as all my tunes and podcasts go straight to the SD card on my phone... :D
    Scott
  17. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Target practice?
  18. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

I hear they blend pretty well, at least in Blendtec blenders.
  19. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Lets face it we all want to seeit destroyed but i think you should try sell it and make some money.
  20. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

21. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

Nuke It!!:idea:
  22. RazorSharp

RazorSharp Well-Known Member