• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have a couple questions....

wcortesi

Oct 16, 2010
I have flashed my phone a few times now to a couple of BH Man's ROMS and currently to Bears Fans ROM.
I haven't really had any trouble doing it, did a lot of reading first and followed the instructions.
The last time I did it though, I had some trouble getting my phone to re-boot. It just froze and I had to go into recovery mode to get it to work. Each time I switched ROMS, I flashed back to the stock ROM first.
I was a little concerned that last time, so I haven't tried anything lately, but I would really like to try out BH Mans 2.2 when he gets it up and running!
Has my phone's memory gotten corrupted or overcrowded with the switching back and forth? I have to admit, it certainly has it's moments where it doesn't want to do anything right anymore! Certain apps won't even run, like Google Goggles. My GPS is almost useless, Google Maps at least half of the time says that it's not even installed on my phone. ADW launcher get's F/C's
(not a fan of the recent update, by the way!), etc.....
I've tried to clear my Dalvik Cache through ADB, but I don't seem to be getting the right commands in there. It always tells me "not found", or some such thing. I did download an app called Cache Cleaner which is supposed to do the same thing. Says it's working.
I'd really like to get a new phone, but there are no deals for me since I'm on Walmart's Family Mobile version of T-Mobile.

So, any hints or advice? Just wait for BH Man and pray that it works for me? I'm sure it will be a huge improvement and my hat is off to him for all the development he and others here have done!

reverts your phone back to "stock" settings, and since you're using a non-stock rom, it'll basically be back to the way the phone was when you first flashed the rom on it. there are two ways to achieve this, one is thru the settings on your phone, or the other way is loading your phone into recovery and either press menu or go to wipe and then factory data reset.

Upvote 0
So, basically the same I had to do when I first flashed it: go into recovery and wipe all the info off my phone? Is this a common thing that needs to be done with a custom ROM?
It reminds me of computers that I've had to do this to. They get so bogged down with garbage that when you re-format the hard drive and get it back to stock, they're like a new machine! Problem is, you have to re-load all the stuff that you need, which is time consuming.
I don't have that much on my phone, and luckily it synchronizes with my Gmail account so I get all my contacts back, but still a pain.

Upvote 0
yeah that's the basic idea. and if you're using a custom rom, all you gotta do to is log back into your gmail acct via the market app, and right after the agreement on the market, go to my apps and your apps you downloaded prior to the factory reset should still be on that list. that's what has happened to me in the past when i had to do a factory reset on a custom rom.

EDIT: just for future knowledge, you don't necessarily have to flash back to stock rom before flashing a new one. it may be personal preference, but it's kind of an unnecessary step in the whole "flashing" process. :p

Upvote 0
So, basically the same I had to do when I first flashed it: go into recovery and wipe all the info off my phone? Is this a common thing that needs to be done with a custom ROM?
It reminds me of computers that I've had to do this to. They get so bogged down with garbage that when you re-format the hard drive and get it back to stock, they're like a new machine! Problem is, you have to re-load all the stuff that you need, which is time consuming.
I don't have that much on my phone, and luckily it synchronizes with my Gmail account so I get all my contacts back, but still a pain.

I use titanium backup so if I need to do a "reset" I have an easier time of restoring everything. Worth a try. The free version is quite capable. Nice when switching roms as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones