i have a few questions, new to android, sprint htc hero

Last Updated:

1. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi! what are some essential apps i should download/buy? what is the best task killer? how do i put music on my hero, is it the same method as ringtones/notifications? is there any way to free system memory for example, can i in any way delete/uninstall preloaded apps like gmail, sprint mobile nfl live, peep, etc., etc.??
    i appreciate any advice/links/secrets. im new to android and am loving my htc hero so far.
    also, i installed advanced task killer free by rechild. is the $4.99 pro version better in any way??
    thank you very much for your time...and patience.

Advertisement
  2. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Theres a usefull hints and tips thread at the top. lists apps you need etc.

MP3s Plug in USB drag down notification slider and mount your usb then drag and drop mp3s into the MP3 folder, if there sint one make one..

Uninstalling stuff, I use quick uninstaller its free on the market

There are differing opinions on task killers, search and read is my advice.

3. tailsthecat

has quick uninstaller allowed you to remove the stock or preloaded apps? it warned me it may not be able to and i cancelled it.

4. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

If thats the case you cant remove them unless you root the phone

5. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Jaffa pretty much covered it. No you cannot delete pre installed apps.. I don't use a taskkiller anymore. After not using one for a while, I really noticed no difference. Task killers are good if apps become unresponsive or lock and you need to force close. Otherwise from what I've read, they can potentially do more harm than good. The android OS is pretty good at managing tasks. There is a thread somewhere on here about that very issue.

and welcome. :)

6. tailsthecat

Strange thing happened today. I grabbed my phone at lunch and i had no service. I tried to access the web and had no service. my bars were full but i couldnt access the web. Said i had to activate wifi or the network. I went into options and disabled my mobile network and then enabled it and was able to connect again. Is this common? It was about five hours my device was sitting idle. Thank you

7. tailsthecat

So i can delete the useless sprint apps that i will never use like sprint nfl, peeps, etc., etc. But only if i 'root' the device? A question i have is that if i root the phone and delete the apps, can i upgrade to 2.1 and go back to an 'unrooted' device AND STILL have those useless deleted apps off of my device? Also, im good with computers but have never flashed a phone or similar device. Is it difficult? Id do it if i can delete those useless apps, upgrade to 2.1 and then perhaps go back to an unrooted device AND still have the useless apps off my device. Thank you for your patience!

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

-Rooting = gaining full access to the android system, including pre-installed apps.
    -When you flash the 2.1 update you undo everyting, the phone will no longer be rooted and all the pre-installed apps will be back. So no, you cannot have an unrooted phone and still get rid of the apps.

Oh and by the way, as soon as you get into the realms of rooting/custom firmwares it'll be best if you ask your questions in the sprint hero forum; your phone differs from ours in that respect.