• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have a google voice and gmail account. What can I do?

Ok, so... smartphone neophyte here (i.e., "cranky old guy"). I have both a gmail and google voice account, both of which I use pretty regularly.

What features or capabilities does having these 2 accounts allow me to do on a Droid that I wouldn't be able to do if I didn't?

I have searched here, but there's a lot of info and a lot of it contradicting, so I'm not sure what's real. Any help for the tragically unhip but willing to learn?

Putting your Gmail details into the phone will allow you to check your Gmail with the built in app and sync both your phone contacts and calendar with Google.

As for Google Voice, there is an app that will let you toggle which service you want to call out with, either your phone or through Google Voice. Unfortunately the newest version of the app seems a little buggy for letting you choose which you want to call out with. I installed it back when version 0.2 was the current one. Version 0.2.5 is the newest and if you read the comments you'll see a lot of people having problems. I've avoided upgrading for that reason. So, give it a try, but if you're having issues, that may be why. Hopefully a new version comes out soon.

Upvote 0
Here is the simple explanation of google voice from their join page:

Use your existing number
and get these features:
gvl.png

• Transcribed voicemail online
  • Low cost international calls
  • Custom greetings for callers

Get a Google number
and get these additional features:
gv.png

• One number for all your phones
  • Get SMS messages via email
  • Block unwanted callers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones