• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i have a question

Yes FroYo (newest iteration of the Android OS, 2.2, Nexus already has a beta version, official version coming soon) has a WiFi hotspot feature which can tether up to 8 devices. I heard carriers can turn this feature off but since it is not purchased from a carrier, I do not think they have the control to.

There are also two programs that can do this on 2.1 called Barnacle WiFi Tether or android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code but you need to be rooted (equivalent of jailbreaking. Superuser permissions)

Also you can purchase apps from the market (PDANet for $30 or EasyTether for $10 which can do a wired tether connection). I know that AT&T blocks them from the market but you can purchase them through the developers site or download them online (don't think that is legal as it is a paid app but you can find it and it does work).

Reactions: AKlawyerboy
Upvote 0
Yes FroYo (newest iteration of the Android OS, 2.2, Nexus already has a beta version, official version coming soon) has a WiFi hotspot feature which can tether up to 8 devices. I heard carriers can turn this feature off but since it is not purchased from a carrier, I do not think they have the control to.

There are also two programs that can do this on 2.1 called Barnacle WiFi Tether or android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code but you need to be rooted (equivalent of jailbreaking. Superuser permissions)

Also you can purchase apps from the market (PDANet for $30 or EasyTether for $10 which can do a wired tether connection). I know that AT&T blocks them from the market but you can purchase them through the developers site or download them online (don't think that is legal as it is a paid app but you can find it and it does work).
ok, another question. if i can do the 8 device hot spot thing, does my phone have to be close to the computers? if i was out of state then thosee computers wouldnt be able to use the hotspot, correct?

Upvote 0

so in 2.2 its built in... but for 2.1 u need a app/program for it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones