• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have a true BRICK

For all those that think they bricked their phone, it ain't bricked if you can power it on. If you can power on and get to hboot or recovery, you should be able to fix it. Read read read.

My phone won't power on at all and doesn't indicate a charge when plugged in to usb port or charger.

I think you would call that a "true brick"

Because people think that letting others know what a bricked phone is, to give hope to those who didn't actually brick their phone that they might actually be able to fix their phone, isn't enough.

HERE IS WHAT I DID:

I applied the OTA update.zip twice. The first time didn't appear to work correctly, so I ran it again. Don't do that! it will brick your phone.

Anyone want to wager the OP installed the OTA leak over itself?

Yes, of course you already knew that, now didn't you?

Just wanted to let people know what a real brick is.... a phone that won't power on. If it powers on then at least you have hope to restore it.

I've seen several threads people thinking they bricked their phone, thought I might give hope to someone that could still power on their phone.

Upvote 0
Really?

It's pointless to let people know the difference between an bricked phone and one that can be restored?

Yes

A trillion ways to brick a phone, saying you have one helps no one. Explaining what happened to put it in that state could help many. I get that your pissed at the world right now, but not helping some others avoid your mistake is really petty.

Upvote 0
Yes

A trillion ways to brick a phone, saying you have one helps no one. Explaining what happened to put it in that state could help many. I get that your pissed at the world right now, but not helping some others avoid your mistake is really petty.

Apparently you didn't read all the posts.. Maybe you should go back and read post 8 and 15.

I am not pissed about my phone, I am pissed at people like you that don't understand how I was trying to help. You are right there are a trillion ways to brick a phone, the way I did it was just one. I was just trying to let people know the difference between a bricked phone and one that could be fixed, so people wouldn't give up on their phone if it wasn't actually a brick. If they just knew what I did and that isn't what they did they might give up when there is still hope they can fix their phones

Upvote 0
so... for those of you that are bricking your phone applying updates that are not official releases or not really sure what your doing when you try to get root priv's or flashing - are you being honest? telling verizon "hey, i was screwing around with my phone and I broke it".

I would hope (but not expecting) that those that ruin their phones due to their own fault stand up as responsible individuals and bite the bullet to buying a replacement as compared to lying. Verizon shouldn't be held liable for others stupidity...

Upvote 0
so... for those of you that are bricking your phone applying updates that are not official releases or not really sure what your doing when you try to get root priv's or flashing - are you being honest? telling verizon "hey, i was screwing around with my phone and I broke it".

I would hope (but not expecting) that those that ruin their phones due to their own fault stand up as responsible individuals and bite the bullet to buying a replacement as compared to lying. Verizon shouldn't be held liable for others stupidity...

I think you already know the answer to that question.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones