• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I have only had my phone for a day and it's already broken lol

Hi guys,

New to Android, new to the board, and like most people, need some help. Consider this my welcome post! :D

Two days ago I bought a used Samsung Captivate from a buddy of mine. He gave it to me with a Cognition ROM that he put on it running Android 2.2.

I initially wanted to begin making the phone my own, but everything seemed to be tied to his Gmail account, making the phone practically useless to me (couldn't access the market because I didn't know his password, errors about signing into Gmail constantly, etc). When I went to remove his account, the phone told me that I needed to preform a factory wipe because some of the apps were tied to his account (obviously). So with nothing personal on the phone, I did.

Whoops.

When the phone rebooted, it showed an error message with something along the lines of that the initial android setup package could not be found. When I pressed OK, I was brought to a blank screen with only the notification bar. I was able to press and hold the 4 bottom buttons and able to access their "sub menus", and when I locked the phone, I was able to see a background and unlock it back into the blank screen.

Since then, I have learned that there is a recovery feature on the device. I tried to download some ROMs to the external SD card in hopes that I can load something else back onto it, but the recovery manager never seems to be able to find the .zip files that I put on :(

Now it wont even boot. It is stuck on the Cognition splash screen. Sometimes it vibrates, but that's about it.

I'm in over my head here, and I would really like to be able to get the phone running with some kind of ROM or even put it back to factory. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I haven't checked out much of the site yet, so I have more research to do. I'm trying to get a hold of the guy I bought it from and see if he can help me too.

Thanks for the help

-Nick

Upvote 0
Yup, that would be the one. The problem with AIO is he's already in trouble, so I'd hate to turn it into a hard brick - with Odin you can get back to square one and then, if you want to, go with AIO. That's just me, though, YMMV.

Gizmo45, good to hear you're back in business!
thumbsup.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones