• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have really tried to like the Centura...

jmcook79

Android Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
But it's becoming really hard. First there is the time issue which admittedly doesn't bother me much and only happens every few months but it's still a little annoying. Second, there's the lag when I pull down the notification bar which I thought I had fixed by clearing my call log and system cache until it happened today. Third, this is my second Centura and both of them will randomly come on in the middle of the night, even when unplugged. Finally, I dropped it from waist height today onto a floor with vinyl tile (and it's in a dual layer silicone/hard plastic protective case) and when I went to pick it up it was off! It's working fine now but all these things together is starting to seriously annoy me. I'm starting to think that I've been ripped off.

All Samsung will do is refer me to Straight Talk and Straight Talk will only replace it with another Centura. At this point I'm considering "accidentally" dropping it in a sink full of water and making a replacement plan claim just to get my money back.

As far as another phone I'm thinking about getting a Verizon prepaid Moto G at Best Buy and just paying $15 more a month for the same service. It's just so much better for the same price as the Centura. Yes, the Verizon plan is $60 a month for 2GB of data vs. Straight Talk's 2.5GB for $45 but the data is a non issue for me since I rarely go over 1GB. Walmart is also offering a $50 Verizon card with only 1GB data as a limited time offer so I could use that as long as it's available.

Another option is to wash my hands of the whole issue and go back to a plain flip phone lol. I just haven't made up my mind yet. Sorry for the long rant and if others are happy with the phone I'm glad but my patience has finally ran out!

Why don't you buy an unlocked motto G and use it on Straight talk?

Because I live in the middle of nowhere and Verizon is the only carrier that gets a decent signal within a 45 mile radius. ATT and Sprint are spotty at best and T-mobile gets absolutely no signal unless I drive about 45 minutes to the nearest city lol. I've tried all three in the past so I'm not just going by what other people say.

With less expensive phones you get less expensive quality a lot of times.

My advice is to figure out what your budget is and research phones in that price range.

Yeah and I'm thinking the Moto G is a steal at $99 it's specs blow away everything else in that price range.

Upvote 0
I was looking at the cdma moto g also, going to wait to see if anyone gets it on straight talk via BYOP plan. If not, I cant get one either lol. Only get verizon service out here.

I'm going to send a message to Straight Talk's Facebook page and inquire about this. If not, I might just bite the bullet and shell out the extra $15 a month for Verizon prepaid.

Upvote 0
I've decided to go with Verizon and get the moto g. Straight Talk got back to me this morning and verified that after 6 months they will accept it on their network if I want to activate it.

I'll see how it goes and if I stay under 1GB consistently I'll probably stay with Verizon because of better customer support.

I'm picking it up at best buy tomorrow and I already have accessories on the way lol I'll make a post in the moto g forum. :D

Upvote 0
I've decided to go with Verizon and get the moto g. Straight Talk got back to me this morning and verified that after 6 months they will accept it on their network if I want to activate it.

I'll see how it goes and if I stay under 1GB consistently I'll probably stay with Verizon because of better customer support.

I'm picking it up at best buy tomorrow and I already have accessories on the way lol I'll make a post in the moto g forum. :D

Can't wait to hear how you like it.
I believe I will be getting one soon.

Upvote 0
Good to hear I'm not the only one having issues with this phone. Mine lags making phone calls, freezes when updates become available on the Play Store, and is known to reset the clock as yours does.

I seemed to have resolved the clock issue by disabling my JuiceDefender app (which enables connectivity on a uaer-defined schedule), allowing the phone a constant connection to the data service; but the phone just reset the clock on me again, after two days of success, and the other issues persist. Samsung has also directed me to contact Straight Talk, but I have also lodged a claim for a refund through Walmart.

I plan to try a Net10 Huweii next, and see how that goes. My thought is that the latest Android version update may be the culprit for these issues. But I'm utterly exasperated as well at the inability of Customer Service folks to offer any helpful assistance!

Upvote 0
Yeah it's definitively not what it's cracked up to be. I honestly think it's a hardware problem because even people with rooted phones and a custom rom have the problem. I highly reccomend the Moto G. I have the Verizon prepaid from Best Buy and it was $99 and their tech support is open 24/7 AND based in America. It's definately worth the extra $5-$15 a month. I know I sound like a Verizon salesman but I promise I'm not lol I'm just THAT happy with my new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones