I have sent mine back

Last Updated:

1. Howard99

Howard99 New Member This Topic's Starter

Read this before you sign up for one. I have sent my Desire back after 3 days. Why? I run a building business and am a heavy phone user. The battery was flat after half a day probably 1 hours worth of speach only. It would not work correctly in my car with my Parrott hands free, apart from anything else it requested authority to reconnect every time I returned to the car. It does not support voice tags which makes using the phone while driving dangerous. I wanted to read emails while out of the office. The complexity involved in connecting it to my PC is absurd. It is almost impossible to see the screen when outside on a sunny day. The internal loud speaker is terribly scratchy. If you are a technically skilled and work indoors I am sure that it would be ok especially if you can keep it plugged in. But as a mobile outdoor business tool it is hopeless.

Advertisement
  2. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Welcome to the forums!

I moved your post to the Desire forum, where it should belong. Enjoy the community. :D

3. Burrid

Burrid Well-Known Member

I haven't returned mine.
    I don't run a building business.

4. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

I kept mine, I have had none of the issues you have.

I can also see the screen outside on a sunny day.

Greats...

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I wouldn't have gone for the desire as a primary business phone in an outdoor industry.

It is a smartphone so battery won't last that long with constant use and/or an incorrect set up. It needs trial and error to get more out of it battery wise.

Plus its got that huge glass, crackable screen that wouldn't mix well in a pocket in a dangerous environment. I leave mine on the table at work. I wouldn't take it with me even if I was crawling under a desk or patching network cables.

For a building industry job I would go for something solid with good grip, hardware keyboard etc. Probably a blackberry bold actually.

6. Jooky85

Jooky85 Member

1) Take supplied cable
    2) Insert small end of cable into phone
    3) Insert large end of cable into USB port
    4) If requiring data transfer, click data transfer button on the the window that popups up on the phone
    5) Browse files using file explorer that pops up on PC

Yeah, terrible that like.

7. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Howard, this may sound stupid, but dumbphones seems better suited for that situation, lol. My Motorola V662(??) lasted a few days without charge even in weak signal areas.

And lol @ complex plugging into your PC.

8. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

I think what he meant is he is using HTC sync to sync his emails on his PC to his phone, instead of using activesync or some such. I've never used HTC sync so couldn't comment on the complexity.

But do agree that a blackberry or E72 sounds better suited to the things you want from your phone.

9. flamingmongrel

flamingmongrel Member

My heartfelt sympathies! I do not work outdoors, I work indoors in IT doing UNIX server admin, and I am constantly asking "why does this phone deserve all these glowing reviews" ??? Are the other phones THAT bad ?

Battery life aside, because after the iPhone, it's no secret, touch screens chew battery, but the general useability of the phone is poor. The speaker is tinny for calls, so it's a phone, but don't use it for that...

The media player supplied (certainly with mine) is rubbish. I don't know much about it other than it's a green musical note. I've come from a Sony Ericsson W995 Walkman phone and it walks all over this one. Literally. The FM radio reception is ABYSMAL. The Media app doesnt even seem to have equalizer settings. Only something like the iTunes store. Great, I already own the album.. I'll buy it again? I don't understand this logic. Having to unlock the screen to get back into the app to change the song is a pain in the a**

On the point of media, the volume control is in a stupid place, I keep changing it accidently when its in my pocket on the train, or if it's in landscape mode surfing the net.

I live in France, but work in English, so an AZERTY keyboard is what I want not QWERTY and an English dictionary. Every morning I switch the phone back on, it's still in AZERTY but reverted to french dictionary.

So useabilty is down the pan.

The promise is that Android in the future will be what Apple OS isn't, open and more applications will get into the public domain.

So what's it good for ? Surfing the net, that's good. But battery life really prevents me doing too much.. The phone is on my desk all day on charge from my hour and half trip in to work, and of course it's on silent cos that's office

10. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

get a blackberry 9700
    will last you days, will take a beating and will sort your emails out.

11. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

oh well, get a nokia.
    goodluck.

12. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

i think too many people overzealously defend the desire. I own a desire and will continue to own it until the contract is up, but all the points he makes are all true and all valid. It's not a perfect phone, and not suitable for his needs.

Hardwarewise, go Nokia.

I for one am hoping Nokia go android before Nokia go bust, and then I'll drop HTC like a big bag of faeces! (HTC hardware doesn't suck... but compared to Nokia, everyone looks bad).

13. sookster54

This (or the 9780), slap an Otterbox on it and it WILL withstand a beating, go for the Blackberry, I use Blackberries myself.

14. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

15. mcyates

mcyates Well-Known Member

The screen is pretty hard to see when its very bright outside! There is no denying that, well if you have the LED screen that is!

16. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

to be fair, the OP didn't say he was a builder. he said hew ran a building business. so all the comments about durability/wear and tear are pretty redundant.

17. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

That's the problem with mobile phones, especially smart phones. You can read all the reviews you want, but you're never absolutely sure that it's the right device for you until you've used it for a few days..and by then it's often too late.

18. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Sorry you had problems Howard but as a heavy-user why on earth did you get a phone that has fabulous reviews but all with the caveat that it has poor battery life. As many will point out the battery life isn't poor but you simply can't run a 1GHz processor for very long on a battery that small.

Now, that's just wrong. You clearly had some process running that was taking the battery life (and there's plenty of advice on here telling you how to fix that).

Can't comment about the Parrott system, never seen it or heard of it but if this was a deal-breaker I'd have made sure the phone worked with it.

Agree voice-dialling is a feature that's missing as-standard. You can add it I think, I keep meaning to look into it but since I have a dash-board mount for the phone it's not too dangerous to dial.

As others have pointed out it really isn't.

Definitely a problem but one that occurs on a great many devices (I had a Sony camera once that was impossible) as someone who works outside, again, I might have checked this out before buying.

Oh HTC, what the f**k did you put in as a loudspeaker ? Definitely your most valid complaint.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the first comment. It's a phone for gadget freaks. It can do, pretty much, anything you ask of it but you need quite a grasp of technical matters for some of them. You really don't need to connect it to a charger all day - it'll do over 24 hours with pretty heavy-use but you need to understand HOW it works in order to do that.

You simply have to treat it like the computer it is. You won't buy a laptop that you can leave running off-battery for the same length of time as the Desire but you wouldn't expect to. The problem is it's a phone so people expect it to match other phones (while out performing them) which is unrealistic.

I agree with you Howard, it's not the phone for you. Had you asked before buying it I'd have said the same thing. Doesn't make it a bad phone. Nor would I suggest that it's unsuitable for anyone except genii with constant access to the mains. The first thing a new-owner needs to do is learn how to get the most out of it, once you've done that you'll have the best phone experience on the planet (so long as you don't try and listen to anything on the external speaker....)

19. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member

Hi, just thought I'd add my experience

As a first time user of Andorid, I have enjoyed "getting to know" the system and at the same time making the Desire far more desirable - extended battery life, smoother email use, screen brightness managment etc to name a few.

I can confirm that i have no problems connecting the phone with my parrott kit (mki9200) and that said the voice dialling is intergrated with the car kit and so no problems there also.

The speaker is rubbish, I agree and comming from nokia 5800 xpress music have really noticed the difference but, I guess if manufactures made everything perfect in a phone then we wouldnt bother replacing it. sad but true fact of 21st century capitalism.

I am another desire user who is happy with the phone and all it offers and am looking forwd to how future updates (t-mobile) change/improve the way the phone works.

20. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

Granted the Desire is not for everyone. If I was working outside and wanted an easy way to read and reply to my emails then as previously mentioned a decent Blackberry device would be more favourable.

The new Blackberry Torch looks pretty good.

21. ving

ving Active Member

I think you made the wrong choice in your circumstances. A less power hungry phone would be better for you such as BlackBerry. Welcome to the forums by the way ;)

22. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

23. genedata2

genedata2 Member

don't think he's reading the thread anymore. he probably registered, posted his complaint (1 post to date) and left

24. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

What threads like this tell us is that people REALLY need to research their next phone rather just buying the first thing that catches their eye in the shop!

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for anyone buying a device only to find it doesn't do what they want. There are so many ways to research these things, there is simply no excuse.

I spent several weeks reading up about smartphones before deciding on the Desire and because of that I have the best phone I've ever owned. It does exactly what I want because I made sure I knew about its pro's and con's before I signed up.

It really grates with me that people feel the need to complain about this handset when, in fact, the real problem isn't the phone, it's the user. You can blame the phone all you want but the real problem is that you bought the wrong handset for your needs.

If this seems a little harsh, well, next time do your homework before buying. Then you won't have to join forums just to whinge will you?

harriss likes this.
  25. sookster54

Holy, now THAT's a bulletproof phone, I work on the transit railroads- wonder if it'll withstand a train running over it...