I have the ALLY and I'm considering going to Droid

1. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

Hey all, fairly new here, and new to the droid os!

I have been using the ally, which has been nice, but I have had issues with battery and sluggishness, and I am interested in rooting and getting FroYo, and I have heard rumors that Ally will not get 2.2, so I am concerned.

I have until the 19th of August to return the phone for something else. I really want a physical keyboard, or else I'd go with the Incredible, so I think it is down to either keeping the Ally, or going with the Droid.

Can you all give me insight on what I should do?

Thanks a ton,
    Ron

Advertisement
  2. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

Or, should I hold out until the Droid 2 which is supposedly coming out the 23rd of August?
  3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The only need/want you've conveyed is the physical keyboard. Anything that might tip you one way or the other with the Droid or Droid 2?
  4. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I'd say wait for the Droid 2 since it will have more memory and a better processor.
  5. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

I just want speed, and I want a phone that won't get outdated as son as I get it, which is basically the Ally
  6. Alfalfa-Male

Alfalfa-Male Active Member

Good luck with that. If you time things perfectly, you might get 4, maybe 5 months until something new comes along and blows it out of the water.
  7. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

Lol thats the truth I suppose with anything. I am more concerned with the rumor that the Ally wont even get 2.2 let alone anything down the line.
    I called verizon and the rep said the droid 2 drops on the 24th of Aug with no pre-orders. So I guess I'll hold onto my Ally til the 18th, and then switch to a dif verizon phone and then buy the droid 2 when it comes out.
  8. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

IMHO .... the Original Droid is still a great phone and can be aquired for a low price.
    Rooted running 2.2 and clocked at 1.2ghz my Droid out performs most phones that cost twice as much .... just saying :)
  9. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

The Droid 2 is a nice phone (it will be faster than an overclocked Droid especially for 3D graphics) if you need a physical keyboard or want the ability to add a custom ROM, but the Droid X is a better phone if you like the larger screen and do not need a keyboard. The upcoming Samsung Fascinate will be the best yet if you do not need a keyboard and will be easy to root and eventually add custom ROMs, but it probably wont be out until September. My personal choice is waiting for the Facinate and then the X.
  10. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

While both the x and fascinate look awesome, a physical keyboard is something I really value. I came from a BB Tour and loved the keyboard, so something with a keyboard is great for me.

What would you guys recommend, I can get the droid right now for 100 more bucks, or wait for the droid 2 an spend 150 more. Do you think an overclocked (which sounds damaging, but I am not informed on that) device is better than the droid 2?
  11. gwlaw99

I would get D2. The GPU is much better and the keyboard is roomier. The only disadvantage is that it will b some time before you can install custom ROMs.
  12. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

Can you explain to me what you mean by that? I am new to the whole Android OS and I am eager to learn!
  13. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the top most quote, then here is what he means:

The Graphics Processing Unit is better in the Droid 2 than the Droid 1. The keyboard doesn't have the d-pad with the gold button on it, like the Droid 1 does; it has arrows at the bottom right of the keyboard....it's basically just a better and bigger keyboard.

The "The only disadvantage is that it will b some time before you can install custom ROMs." part is referring to the fact it MAY take time for Root to be gained on the D2. It all just depends on how many dev's are working on the Root process (I don't know anything about how to do it lol). ROMs are like a new OS...kinda and kernels are what you use to Overclock your CPU (it's stock at 550mhz on the D1, I overclock mine to 1.2ghz).

Any more questions, just ask.
    YooDontKnoMi likes this.
  14. gwlaw99

Correct except root is not the problem. You can root (for wifi tether, titanium backup, etc..), but you can't install custom ROMs until the bootloader is hacked..
  15. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

thanks for all the input and knowledge!
    Can you tell me what kind of fun things you can do once you root the phones? besides overclocking of course?
  16. gwlaw99

Titanium backup can backup all your programs to the SD card. Wifi tether enables you to use the phones internet connection on your laptop. Search for "root" in the market for more apps.
  17. Richman21

Richman21 Well-Known Member

I have the Motorola Droid and my wife has the Ally, the physical KB is much better on the Ally, but the Driod IMO is a much better phone.
  18. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

But you need root to get custom recovery's I thought...? I know about wifi tether and so forth and those things just aren't enticing enough (for me) to root. I rooted for the ROMs and OC'ing...I can't do those WITHOUT Root.
  19. gwlaw99

My only point is that it is not hard to root, it is hard to crack the bootloader to load a custom ROM.
  20. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

give me an example of a custom ROM. I am interested in these!
  21. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member