I have the Iphone 4..my thoughts on the Consumer Report & Apple Press Conference.

Last Updated:

1. Alieno

Alieno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 2, 2010
    I'm an Iphone 4 user, and I'm appalled at how Apple has been handling the whole reception issue, they've turned it into a circus.

Their position has changed from ..

"It's being held wrong"
    "It needs a case/bumper"
    "It needs a software update due to an incorrect algorithm"

Yet it's obvious at this point that the issues plaguing some Iphone 4 users are hardware related and a software fix will be incapable of adequately addressing it. Tomorrow Apple has a planned press release on the Iphone 4, and the possibilities on what will be mentioned are endless, though I personally doubt a full recall will take effect, I think more realistically they'll offer free bumpers and/or extend the warranty on the phone or something to that effect.

Apple needs to eat some serious crow on this and...

1. Apologize for misleading their customers through disingenuous press releases and patronizing them.
    2. Recognize a hardware issue exists with some Iphone 4's, and implement a process to ADDRESS that hardware issue and fix it.

As for Consumer Reports, they indicated that ATM they could not recommend the phone, however that is not the same as "don't buy this product". Yet CR also took the time to score the Iphone 4 higher than any other smartphone, and even stated that it's the "best phone on the market". I wonder how CR's position will change once the issue affecting some iphone 4 users is addressed by Apple.

All of that being said..no one really knows how widespread the reception is for Iphone 4 users. I haven't had any problems with mine, and neither have any of my friends or co-workers with the Iphone 4. The phone continues to be sold out in every retailer and the waiting list remains at nearly a month.

I personally believe that the issue is affecting a small number of phones and a small number of users, but even if that number is only 1%, that would still be tens of thousands of unsatisfied & angry customers who would go to the media and the technology blogs and LOUDLY voice their concerns. But if some of the phones are lemons, Apple needs to actually address it.