I have the Moto Glam XT800 Android Phone - no one else does

Last Updated:

1. mmmfreegoo

mmmfreegoo Member This Topic's Starter

...well, probably no-one outside of South Korea.

The Moto 'Glam' (XT800) is a Korea 'only' android phone released earlier this year.

As a foreigner (teaching here) yearning for an android phone, this was the cheapest option available to me at $140.

So, does anyone have any info on this phone in terms of what procedure I should follow in order to root it?

Does anyone know which western equivalent Motorola Android phone it would be closest related to (and therefore be possible to apply the same root procedure)?

Mods, please move this to a different sub-forum if you feel it necessary.

My other question, what are the chances this will get a 2.2 upgrade?

Unfortunately, I imagine pretty minimal, I keep checking system updates and since I have had the phone, it is stuck at 2.1 - however, you never know, I'm sure there are way more informed Moto / Android heads on this forum than me..

Many thanks for reading..

Advertisement
    Gandmaluk likes this.
  2. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Sorry can't help you, but it was only $140 ??....wow. The specs on the phone are great for that price (HDMI output very appealing). Send me one !! Haha.

3. mmmfreegoo

Yeah, actually to be fair, for the specs / price its not a bad deal.

It's crazy out here though, I went to several stalls in the market where I bought the phone, some vendors were wanting $470 for it.

I lucked out, especially because foreigners here get really bad deals compared to Koreans.. if I wanted a Desire, I woulda had to pay $900 :eek:

The only problem with the phone is that very little is known about it that is written in english. It's probably running virtually identical software to another Motorola phone, but I have no idea how to find this information out...

..one of the reasons I want to root is so I can use adhoc wireless with my laptop...

..if anyone has any ideas on how I can go about rooting the phone please let me know :)

4. Hockey4life0099

Hockey4life0099 New Member

5. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

It almost looks like the Motorola Bravo:

MOTOROLA BRAVO - MOTOBLUR - Smartphone - Touchscreen - Web Browse - Tech Specs - Motorola USA

Form factor is the similar (display) but there are differences.

6. mmmfreegoo

Many thanks - this looks to have worked.. :)

..now the painful process of trying to figure out how to get it to work with an ad-hoc connection.

Thanks again

7. Hockey4life0099

Like tethering your internet? Use wireless tether in the market for adhoc mode or try googling wireless tether pre 9 for infrastructure mode.

8. mmmfreegoo

Yeah, I have wifi tether, but I don't think that it is just what I require - I think I need to go a step further (unless I am misunderstanding what wifi tether can accomplish).

I want to connect my phone to an ad-hoc wireless connection set up in Connectify on my laptop.

Then I can use apps such as foodroid which will allow me to wirelessly control my Foobar media player via my phone.

At the moment, my phone cannot 'see' the wireless hotspot connection set up on my laptop via Connectify.

From what I can gather, I think this is the procedure I have to follow

I don't know the first thing about flashing, roms etc... and there are no step by step instructions or videos on youtube for this unfortunately.. so as a new comer to all this it seems a bit daunting.

time to do some research I guess...

Thanks again for all your help :)

9. Hockey4life0099

install this .apk. this is wireless tether but its a beta version. some computers do not support the type of tethering from the market app. the link that i posted should be like connecting to any other wifi hotspot and should be compatible with all laptops. not too sure what this foobar stuff is...

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code
    (ps. is you have the barcode scanner app then you can download the .apk by scanning the code)

10. mmmfreegoo

Hockey4life0099, thank you so much.. I got it working following your advice. By the way, foobar is a lightweight media player (like winamp, windows media player ..etc)

Thanks once again
    :)

Hockey4life0099 likes this.